LE COUREUR - french Lugger 1776 - POF kit from CAF in 1:48 by Uwe

My friends - many thanks for the comments and all the likes received.....

As I mentioned - now it is time to finish the stern, so that I am able to finish the entire hull (f.e. last nails at the planking, rails at the aft area)

As usual in the beginning of this session I want to show the sketch from the manual
IMG-6933.jpg

Today we are working on the part 1V-1, the intire stern planking. Originally the kit part is one sheet, with lasered planking lines and cut outs for the windows.

First photos is showing 1V-1 sitting on the stern construction - on the first view it is looking, like it fits well
IMG-6943.jpg

and here the transom decorations, cnc carved boxwood (the middle part is slightly too long and should be shortened in the middle section, but this is on purpose by CAF - and we will see later on, that it is very well prepared
IMG-5916.jpg

A longer time ago, we had once already some talks in an other topic about the four windows at the stern:
Jean Boudriot defined them as "false"-windows, so that the window frames are only decorations on a completely planked transom.
CAF interpreted them as real windows with glass and therefore had this round elements in the stern structure defining the upper part of the window openings. For this the deck is also slightly higher than in the Boudriot drawings

The level of the deck by CAF - with enough space (and height) for the windows
IMG-5900.jpg

The deck level by Boudriot, which is ending directly in half height of the windows
IMG-5901.jpg

I decided once, to make the stern with the false windows, so therefore I had to replace the part 1V-1, which has the cut outs for the windows
So took some wider pear strips and glued them together in order to get a planking (at the top center with boxwood cnc carved frames (part of the kit).
On the right side you can see a cardboard template in the size of the 1V-1

IMG-6942.jpg

Hello, Mon Amie. I am always amazed by your methodical practice and show us the comparisons between the CAF model and the actual plans set from JB. Also, the willingness to achieve the best possible results without 'bashing' the kit. To me, this is great! Members can see what the actual kit can offer.

Small observations, The planks on the original (from kit) transom are curved (red arrows), on your new scratch build transom they are straight (green arrows). Are those transom planks straight on the JB plans or?

IMG-6942.jpg

Small observations, The planks on the original (from kit) transom are curved (red arrows), on your new scratch build transom they are straight (green arrows). Are those transom planks straight on the JB plans or?

View attachment 249793
Good observation and a very good point to discuss more in detail - I was also thinking about over a longer time. I will show you my thoughts and try to give the infromation tomorrow in a following post......

Hello, Mon Amie. I am always amazed by your methodical practice and show us the comparisons between the CAF model and the actual plans set from JB. Also, the willingness to achieve the best possible results without 'bashing' the kit. To me, this is great! Members can see what the actual kit can offer.

View attachment 249793
How to start with the explanation ......

Here are the drawings of Boudriot and also CAF showing the final appearance of the stern of the Le Coureur

on the left CAF - on the right Boudriot - you can see also the differences and different interpretations in the designs

IMG-4676aba.jpg

and here we can see the relatively big inclination of the Transom (this time left Boudriot and on the right CAF)

IMG-4678aba.jpg

This is the drawing showing the stern structure and the planking (with nailing) by Boudriot -> you can see only a very slight curve of the planking

IMG-5873a1aba.jpg

Now let us have a look at the part 1V-1 laying flat on the Boudriot drawing

IMG-5882aba.jpg

and the same in appr. the angle of the stern inclination => because of the different and changed persepctive the curved planking is getting more straight - even more when you imagine, that the center is more aft (the stern is curved in the topview)

IMG-5883aba.jpg

I also checked the sterns of several scratch build Coureurs - better I tried to find photos - I realized very fastly, that not many modelers are shoing the stern of their models - seems, that there are not so much realy good sterns made. But we can find either curved and also straight plankings of the transoms

As an example I found f.e. the stern of the Frölich model shown in his book

IMG-5914aba.jpg

We can see, that Frölich used also straight planking for his stern.

Based on these information I decided for my model to use straight planking, I guess easier to handle with maybe better final result (modeling quality) and also based on the knowledge, that every solution you choose, based on the different perspective you will look on the model, the planking will look straight or curved.

Very interesting discussion and observation, Mon Amie. Here on your last image of the Frolich model, we can clearly see the planks are straight, while all moldings and windows have to conform to the curve. But JB shows slightly curved planks.

When I bought the plans and then compared them, I also thought about it and decided to stick with the original, as Uwe did in advance with the anchor winch. Personally, I like the stern with straight planks better. I'm just not sure if I am making real windows or the variant with the fake windows.

Today I want to show you my further works on the stern planking........

This photo is showing the stern structure with already partly shortened adjusted hull planking
IMG-6945.jpg

Because of easier bending I copied the size of the kit part on a piece of cardboard - we can see, that there are some smaller discrepencies between my stern structure and the form of the stern "planking". So I did not work perfectly with my hull - otherwise it would fit ;)
IMG-6946.jpg

Transfering the approximate size on a new cardboard
IMG-6947.jpg

The new cardboard compared with the original
IMG-6948.jpg

and adjusting the cardboard to the needs on my stern
IMG-6950.jpg

Now I am close to the needs and I can take over the form on my prepared planking
IMG-6951.jpg

done - planking installed and sanded - btw from this perspective the planking is straight
IMG-6954.jpg

from this perspective I have curved planking at the stern
IMG-6955.jpg

The planking of the stern and the planking of the hull are sanded, so that the decoration elements will fit (I hope so)
IMG-6958.jpg

and the view form "inside"
IMG-6957.jpg

Many Thanks for your interest .... to be continued ....

Coming to the stern decorations

These are the boxwood carved decoration elements of the stern

IMG_60771a.jpg

IMG_60781.jpg

First of all the four windows of the stern
Due to the fact, that they are very filligran made, I did not use a sharp knife, but sanded them down from the backside, up to the level of the openings

here you can see, that already some areas are "free"
IMG-6928.jpg

and more sanding from the backside
IMG-6928a.jpg

IMG-6929.jpg

further sanding - carefully
IMG-6930.jpg

still not finished, but one step done
IMG-6931.jpg

View attachment 250864

View attachment 250865

Due to the fact, that they are very filligran made, I did not use a sharp knife, but sanded them down from the backside, up to the level of the openings

View attachment 250859

View attachment 250860

View attachment 250861

View attachment 250862

View attachment 250863

View attachment 250864

View attachment 250865

View attachment 250859

View attachment 250860

View attachment 250861

View attachment 250862

View attachment 250863

Your tail turned out really good, very nice. We are very familiar with grinding. I will continue today after a 5 day break.

Very nice work, I like the straight planking, but "personally" I find the windows no longer harmonize as they are very curved.
191167-a9acbbced29268d75684c612afc57ce4.jpg

In this example the windows are straighter. The question now arises to me whether it looks different when color comes into play and the lines of the planking are no longer so clearly visible.
In spite of everything, very clean and beautiful work.

.... I find the windows no longer harmonize as they are very curved.
In this example the windows are straighter. The question now arises to me whether it looks different when color comes into play and the lines of the planking are no longer so clearly visible.
The "curved" or "straight" windows are also like the planking a question of the perspective.
When the eye is somehow close to the waterline the windows are straighter. Like your example of the model built by CAF
My photo showing the windows in post 913 is with the view somehow under the water appr. rectangle to the transom -> here the windows are looking curved.

The "curved" or "straight" windows are also like the planking a question of the perspective.
When the eye is somehow close to the waterline the windows are straighter. Like your example of the model built by CAF
My photo showing the windows in post 913 is with the view somehow under the water appr. rectangle to the transom -> here the windows are looking curved.
IMG-6959.jpg

I think that I expressed myself wrong, I meant the harmony between window and planking, this slope that arises, but as you say, the angle of view and the taste of the viewer always play a big role. It shouldn't be a criticism either, because your work is great.

View attachment 251393

I think that I expressed myself wrong, I meant the harmony between window and planking, this slope that arises, but as you say, the angle of view and the taste of the viewer always play a big role. It shouldn't be a criticism either, because your work is great.
Understood - you are right Thumbsup
I did not include this difference of the angle into my thoughts before
-> Sometimes modeling is like playing chess - you have to think minimum 3 steps ahead, but unfortunately the fourth step would change everything ......

Nevertheless working on straight planks was much easier, like Bernhard Frölich
IMG-5914a.jpg

Back