LE COUREUR - french Lugger 1776 - POF kit from CAF in 1:48 by Uwe

Many Thanks for your comments, and all the likes received.....

Before I start with the rudder, I just finalized the stops of the windlass, which were still not finished.

These wooden bases for the stops are partly overlapping with the partners of the mast - in addition I made also some "bolts"
IMG-7027.jpg

IMG-7028.jpg

IMG-7029.jpg

IMG-7030.jpg

and also the two hinges were prepared - only blackening is still not done - fianl installation when everything on the deck will be assembled

IMG-7031.jpg

these small bolts with round head are from Dry Dock Models - diameter 0,5mm - great to immitate such fixings

IMG-7032.jpg

a normal toothpick to compare the size - the hinches are "working"

IMG-7033.jpg

This really good work, Uwe. You are setting an excellent example to the rest of the Group builders with your efforts. Maybe you can ask Tom for a replacement left window frame on the stern?

This really good work, Uwe. You are setting an excellent example to the rest of the Group builders with your efforts. Maybe you can ask Tom for a replacement left window frame on the stern?
Many Thanks for your comment - high appreciated
The small damage at the window is really hardly visible - and will remind me for the future to be much more careful with such fragile elements

Starting with the rudder of the ship - also a small project in the project, not with the timber elements, but the hinges have to be prepared well......

First of all the manual of the kit so you get an impression of the parts content in the CAF kit of the Le Coureur

rudder manual.jpg

I did not make any photo of the six timber parts of the kit, sorry..... but they fit very well.
It is sandwich built (2 times three parts) to get the overall thickness - after gluing them together the fun will start

included in the kit are also three hinges made out of brass
IMG-7019.jpg

Before everything fits together the form of the wooden rudder has to be adjusted - the width at the bottom is smaller than at the top, second is the triangle front / fore (see later in the photo) and also the carefully cut out of some notches for the hinges

Here you can see the form of the rudder blade in the Boudriot excerpt
IMG-7018.jpg

IMG-7020.jpg

compared with teh excerpt of Jean Boudriot drawing
IMG-7021.jpg

IMG-7022.jpg

Here you can see the triangle form - necessary that the rudder can move to the side without touching the keel
IMG-7037.jpg

and a first test at the hull - step by step it is getting nice - but still a lot to do at the rudder
IMG-7023.jpg

Einfach nur toll.
Ja - and I want to state, that with this extreme good basis of a well designed and high quality material in the kit you can make a really good model.
and I think with some tools and some other small add-ons you can prepare a really special and great model......

Going further with the hinges of the rudder.

To imitate the bolts with which the wooden part of the rudder were fixed to the hinges I drilled some 0,5mm holes into the brass hinges with 1,2mm width

IMG-7034.jpg

and insterted once more the fine "tiny nails" from @Dry-Dock Models & Parts
These nail heads are fitting well and looking like the bolt heads.....
IMG-7035.jpg

overlength removed and ready for blackening
IMG-7038.jpg

but before once more a dry fit on the rudder - also compared with the drawing of Jean Boudriot´s Le Coureur
IMG-7039.jpg

IMG-7040.jpg

But now they can be blackened

IMG-7041.jpg

IMG-7042.jpg

and here the rudder in place - approximately at this place it will be installed (the end of the rudder has to be slightly higher than the bottom of the keel)

IMG-7043.jpg

It is looking nice - I am happy with the result

(a little bit higher than shown here)
IMG-7044.jpg

Many Thanks for your interest - next post will show the second parts of the rudder-hinches

Going further with the hinges of the rudder.

To imitate the bolts with which the wooden part of the rudder were fixed to the hinges I drilled some 0,5mm holes into the brass hinges with 1,2mm width

View attachment 253625

and insterted once more the fine "tiny nails" from @Dry-Dock Models & Parts
These nail heads are fitting well and looking like the bolt heads.....
View attachment 253626

overlength removed and ready for blackening
View attachment 253627

but before once more a dry fit on the rudder - also compared with the drawing of Jean Boudriot´s Le Coureur
View attachment 253628

View attachment 253629

But now they can be blackened

View attachment 253630

View attachment 253631

and here the rudder in place - approximately at this place it will be installed (the end of the rudder has to be slightly higher than the bottom of the keel)

View attachment 253632

It is looking nice - I am happy with the result

(a little bit higher than shown here)
View attachment 253633

Many Thanks for your interest - next post will show the second parts of the rudder-hinches
Hello Uwe, you can really be more than satisfied, looks flawless.

Many Thanks for the comments and all the likes received.

Finishing the rudder hinges on the hull side - the same procedure like at the rudder
Once more I show more photos especially for the modelers coming later to this stage of the construction - for all other I say sorry for the boring somehow repeating photos. But I think, that a modeler working on this kit likes to see the same from different angles etc.......

The notches are prepared and the hinges are fitting
IMG-7045.jpg

Now the first time the "marriage" of the rudder with the hull - the rudder fits well, is able to rotate and vlose enough to the hull, so that the gap is as small as possible
IMG-7046.jpg

IMG-7047.jpg

and the same status from the other side
IMG-7048.jpg

IMG-7049.jpg

now finished with bolts and blackened
IMG-7050.jpg

IMG-7051.jpg

IMG-7052.jpg

One element more prepared - what is coming next?

Let us see tomorrow, so stay tuned ......

The Le Coureur was too small and had no steering wheel, she was piloted / steered by a hand operated tiller

IMG-7053.jpg

IMG-7054.jpg

IMG-7055.jpg

now also with the iron bands and the axis (the nail is only temporary inserted and will be changed later on)
IMG-7061.jpg

For fun and to see, how it is looking I put the chain with some double sided adhesive tape

IMG-7057.jpg

The chain is included in the kit - very good quality and absolutely in scale !!!! Great detail by @CAFmodel

IMG-7060.jpg

Very good job, Uwe.
The rudder looks very authentic.
Are the stern decorations ready or do you plan to paint or gilden them?
Grüße, Alexander
Hallo Alexander,
many thanks to your kind words.
I am really not a good painter, so I plan to leave them in the wooden appearance - f.e. I also want to leave the wales without any painting
I know the painting informations by Boudriot, but I like models often without the painting.
1614177399259.png

Some smaller things were done - now I am coming to the stage, that a lot of small works have to be done, which were still missing

First of all the inserts of the 12 scuppers are now blackened and finaly installed
IMG-7062.jpg

also the two small stairs on the deck
first the manual
IMG-7063.jpg

and in "real" life
IMG-7067.jpg

IMG-7068.jpg

On the Le Coureur the ships-boat was stored on the deck. Because of missing space it was not in the middle axis, but more starboard.
Interesting is the discription by Jean Boudriot:

Ships boat:
The ship´s boat, the only boat on board, is secured atop two raised supports (comment Uwe: in drawings are three supports shown) as to not hinder passage of the cables.
and
We must note, that its location is incompatible with the operation of the two starboard side guns: unless the ship´s boat is moved or set in-tow behind the vessel.

Means, that the crew of the Le Coureur had to lift the boat from the deck into the water for towing before they are "ready for action". Also it has to be removed, when the main hatch over the main cargo hold has to be opened. BTW: Also the spare anchors were stored near or under the boat, also the oars (eighteen according Boudriot), if not alongside the hull........
It was really a small ship and the free deck space was very limited.

Here the manual of the supports:
IMG-7200.jpg

The parts of the supports comparing with the drawing.
You can recognize, that the supports should have also a negative form of the clinker planking of the boat (steps) - this can be only prepared, when the hull of the boats model is finished
IMG-7071.jpg

The "raw" parts on the deck
IMG-7070.jpg

and finally glued and also with some bolts
IMG-7072.jpg

IMG-7073.jpg

Back