LE COUREUR - french Lugger 1776 - POF kit from CAF in 1:48 by Uwe

also at this place I want to mention a small mistake on one of the drawings, which is easily to realize, due to the fact, that on the other drawings it is correct.
The numbering of the Le Coureur frames on the side view drawing of the frames is wrong and should be corrected.
I marked the correct numbering with pencil - So maybe @CAFmodel has the chance for the next production of this amazing kit. Such things are the salt in the soup ;)
IMG-4669.jpg

Thes are the three horizontal elements of the stern structure, two are cnc and one is laser cut

This time on top of the CAF drawing so you can see the future location of the parts
View attachment 187285

View attachment 187284

dry-fitting
View attachment 187283

All the parts have to be taken a dozen of times into hand and try the best fit with each other. In order to understand the parts, their correct connection and and and - highly interesting
Thank you so much for this Uwe. It will help me a lot when I tackle this today.

Excellent work Uwek.
You are a true Meister!
Do you also give private modeling lessons via the web?
For me, who started building Le Coureur later, and can only work in the evenings after a day's work and therefore go much slower in the construction, your building log is truly a valuable aid.

Before I started deeply making the stern structure I took also a look at the Jean Boudriot drawings and compared the given information with the kit drawings. Especially to understand the stern counter timbers of the Le Coureur

On the top - CAF and at bottom - Boudriot
IMG-4675.jpg

on the left - CAF and at the right - Boudriot
IMG-4674.jpg

left - Boudriot and right - CAF
IMG-4678.jpg

on the left - CAF and on the right - Boudriot
IMG-4676.jpg

It is visible, that the stern counter timbers are more vertical with the kit by CAF than drawn by Jean Boudriot.
Unfortunately there are no framing drawings from Boudriot available, so this part could not be compared.
I wanted to check and compare this due to the fact, that with my first gluing test version of my counter timbers I reached more the angle of the Boudriot drawings (red lines)

IMG-4683a.jpg

To have less problems later on with the stern structure I decided to reopen the glue on the parts of the counter timbers and re-assembled them with a slightly different angle to follow more the "CAF-design". (Water based wood glue)

IMG-4724.jpg

Last edited:
Now coming really to the structure of the stern

a short reminder how the kit is prepared and which parts are necessary
IMG-4576.jpg

Here shown is an overview of all vertical parts - lined up in the correct order
IMG-4690.jpg

First working step is the massive middle part of nine timbers
IMG-4691.JPG

from the front
IMG-4692.jpg

and from the back side
IMG-4693.jpg

I realized, that the total width of all nine parts will be too big comparing with the slots of the horizontal beams
IMG-4695.jpg

More in detail with the caliper
IMG-4697.jpg IMG-4699.jpg

IMG-4700.jpg IMG-4701.jpg

So I had to reduce the width, that it will fit - I glued first the parts 2, 3 and 4 together
IMG-4702.jpg

This package of three parts was much easier to sand down to the correct width
IMG-4713.jpg

I measured the slot
IMG-4714.jpg

which is smaller than the width of the keel timber
IMG-4715.jpg

but the slot in the main element is fitting well into the notch prepared
IMG-4731.jpg

Dry-fitting of the main parts inside the jig - this was done mainly inside the jig to get the correct angles of the counter timbers
IMG-4716.jpg

IMG-4725.jpg

I realized fast that these parts will be very problematic to install correctly inside the jig
IMG-4726.jpg

So I fixed and glued these parts finally inside the jig
IMG-4734.jpg

I think Tom explained that Boudriot's drawing cannot be correct because the deck is in the middle of the stern windows:
View attachment 187949
This is correct related to the deck level, but I was comparing especially because of the angle of the counter timbers.
Nevertheless I decided to follow strictly the "CAF-design" in this respect

This was the status of the complete ship at this stage, all frames are still only dry and not finally finished
IMG-4730.jpg

Than I tried to remove the keel with the partly prepared stern structure from the jig - and it is working (be careful)
IMG-4736.jpg

My friend, Uwe! It is amazed me the way you present you build logs. It is unique and much educational! The way you compare the kits and actual drawings is a great representation of the modern, yet unique build log! I am not building LeCureour...but I am enjoying reading & learning from your build log!! Thank you!!!

My friend, Uwe! It is amazed me the way you present you build logs. It is unique and much educational! The way you compare the kits and actual drawings is a great representation of the modern, yet unique build log! I am not building LeCureour...but I am enjoying reading & learning from your build log!! Thank you!!!
My friend, the same with your log - I was just reading the "Alert-news" - Great work and very informative log

Now coming really to the structure of the stern

a short reminder how the kit is prepared and which parts are necessary
View attachment 187928

Here shown is an overview of all vertical parts - lined up in the correct order
View attachment 187929

First working step is the massive middle part of nine timbers
View attachment 187930

from the front
View attachment 187931

and from the back side
View attachment 187932

I realized, that the total width of all nine parts will be too big comparing with the slots of the horizontal beams
View attachment 187934

More in detail with the caliper
View attachment 187935 View attachment 187936

View attachment 187937 View attachment 187938

So I had to reduce the width, that it will fit - I glued first the parts 2, 3 and 4 together
View attachment 187939

This package of three parts was much easier to sand down to the correct width
View attachment 187941
Thank you Uwek f Your step-by-step description of making the stern structure will be very useful for everyone. At least, for sure, for me. Tonight I will find the courage to launch myself into the adventure.

Once more many thanks for all your kind words and likes ...... great and many thanks

based on the information given in the manual it is important. that the two other horizontal parts (No. 12 and 13-2) and are in the correct level. therefore there are two small cantilever at the jig.... (marked with red arrow)

IMG-4582a.jpg

therefor I put back the structure into the jig and assembled it there
IMG-4737.JPG

afterwards once more outside
IMG-4743.jpg

IMG-4741.jpg

according the drawing the top beam (part No. 13-1) has a slightly different angle
IMG-4744.jpg

For the installation of the vertical elements
IMG-4690.jpg

I fixed the keel with the stern structure "frame" upside down with a Proxxon vice - here the finished result
IMG-4745.jpg

IMG-4746.jpg

IMG-4748.jpg

IMG-4747.jpg

IMG-4750.jpg

IMG-4751.jpg

and back into the jig - be careful, but it is working...... and fits very well
IMG-4752.jpg

Finally, after some thinking, small changes, re-open and re-assembling I am very happy with the result.
I described my way how I did it, so I am very interested, if there are other ways possible, so maybe you can show your experiences here or in your building logs .....

Many Thanks for your interest ..... to be continued .....

Back