LE COUREUR - french Lugger 1776 - POF kit from CAF in 1:48 by Uwe

Maybe double sided tape between timber and paper could also be used? (I'm thinking, easy to remove)
Yes easy to remove, but not easy to fix on the paper correctly - there is no possibility to adjust the location of the part on the paper, and here you see 1/10 of a mm

I like the idea of lightly glueing the frame timbers to the drawing. I have completed the keel and will next prepare and assemble the frames. As Uwe and others have already mentioned, this appears to be a very time consuming and accurate part of the build where mistakes are not easily rectified. As there is a lot of very time consuming filing and removing of char and laser lines involved it seems a good idea to invest in some quality files. As it also involves a lot of fairing I was wondering if we had some feedback from @CAFmodel /Tom or other opinions as what would be the best time to bevel / fair the frames as Uwe mentioned before,
1) To fair before gluing the parts of one frame together - than maybe only some smaller corrections afterwards
or
2) Glue the parts together and fair them afterwards - like I did in the first frame
or
3) Only light fairing on the area where the frame is connected with the temporary jig and fair the frames just before the planking

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the idea of lightly glueing the frame timbers to the drawing. I have completed the keel and will next prepare and assemble the frames. As Uwe and others have already mentioned, this appears to be a very time consuming and accurate part of the build where mistakes are not easily rectified. As there is a lot of very time consuming filing and removing of char and laser lines involved it seems a good idea to invest in some quality files. As it also involves a lot of fairing I was wondering if we had some feedback from @CAFmodel /Tom or other opinions as what would be the best time to bevel / fair the frames as Uwe mentioned before,
1) To fair before gluing the parts of one frame together - than maybe only some smaller corrections afterwards
or
2) Glue the parts together and fair them afterwards - like I did in the first frame
or
3) Only light fairing on the area where the frame is connected with the temporary jig and fair the frames just before the planking
Hallo @Chello
Stick the parts on top of the drawing! It is working very well and is much more accurate than without - I highly recommend such a way.

And.....
....I can underline the words by Jim - It would be very good that you also start a building log.
It is not necessary to go extremely in detail, but it will help others (and also myself) ......
So everybody who bought and got the kit (I think f.e @KentM , @Chello , @gisel , @Kkonrath @Hobbit99 , @ADC , @donfarr , @Hedley , @mstritzl ,@smelly , @Larsa , @kidsgalore , @jeep, @Zagul ) and all others I do not know, and if you have started already this project,
please also participate in the "GROUP"-build and start a building log
Ir will be much more fun to see and compare, help and assist ......

Last edited:
When I have not started a build log yet it is because it will probably take a long time before I start the build. I have no experience at all with this hobby and for now I don't want to start building 2 models simultaniously. I had planned /hoped to build the Alert (or at least the main part of it) before starting on Le Coureur. I must admit though that I struggle more and more as time goes by to keep my hands away from the boxes with Le Coureur

Some more progress on the frames - better it is more testing how to make it and good good and fast the works can be done with my available hand and power tools can be done - so I am still in the learning period - maybe I need the first frames as spare parts from @CAFmodel if the result is not good enough ;)

But I have to say, that the learning curve is going up.......

Here you can see on the bottom the first frame N. 8 after the first fairing with files - on the top frame No.9 without fairing
IMG-4463.jpg

IMG-4464.jpg

The back side of the two frames - here I used my spindle sander, but only a small part can be done
IMG-4465.jpg

so back to my Proxxon with the small sanding drum - means the insides of the frames I will do with the Proxxon
IMG-4466.jpg

One more experience which I had and I recommend this to everybody - with to much forces, especially with steep floor timber, it can easy break following the grain of the timber - can also easy to be repaired, but you should know, that this can happen
IMG-4467.jpg

IMG-4468.jpg

It is getting better and better, so yesterday evening I had five frames prepared
5 frames.jpg

Hope to get some advise from @CAFmodel related to my post #11 and by @Chello in his post #23 of this topic

to be continued ........

When I have not started a build log yet it is because it will probably take a long time before I start the build. I have no experience at all with this hobby and for now I don't want to start building 2 models simultaniously. I had planned /hoped to build the Alert (or at least the main part of it) before starting on Le Coureur. I must admit though that I struggle more and more as time goes by to keep my hands away from the boxes with Le Coureur
Don't fight it, it only gets worse if you don't dig in and do something!

I plan to start small, maybe the small cutter kit or the boxes and barrels, these are all kits in and of themselves.

after one day the new needle-file sets arrived already

so I have no argument any more......
View attachment 182317
Hi Uwe, are these files the ones you used on the frames ( Corradi-Nadelraspel-Set 220 140 H2 )?
I definitely need to invest in a set of good files considering all the filing that needs doing on the clinker steps on all the frames

Hi Uwe, are these files the ones you used on the frames ( Corradi-Nadelraspel-Set 220 140 H2 )?
I definitely need to invest in a set of good files considering all the filing that needs doing on the clinker steps on all the frames
Hallo,
No - I am not using the rasps, which are much too rough.
take a look at this photo
81M993Z+oUL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

These are mine which I use:

CORRADI-Nadelfeilen-Set, 12-teilig, Schweizer Hieb 0, 200mm, 12316102​

61MjRbvNtaL._AC_.jpg 71V36McXOaL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Step by Step - better Frame by Frame
during the weekend I was able to work some more hours in preparation of the frames
-> In the following some photos with more impressions of the work

some more
IMG-4487.JPG

IMG-4490.jpg

on the left the sanded ones,
center the frames glued, but not sanded
on the right three frames drying
IMG-4491.jpg

IMG-4492.jpg

Latest status from yesterday evening
IMG-4498.jpg

still enough work but with every frame I am getting some routine
IMG-4499.jpg

One small mistake I found in one drawing - I guess everybody will recognize this very fast, but maybe @CAFmodel wants to change it for the future kits

The numbering of the last three frames is incorrect on the drawing - so it is not 31, 32 and 33 - correct is 35, 36 and 37
IMG-4493.jpg

Back