LE COUREUR - french Lugger 1776 - POF kit from CAF in 1:48 by Uwe

Today I want to post some small additional hints which were helping me during the planking work

This is the manual description:
IMG-5381.jpg

1) The different rows of each plank are marked and numbered on this drawing - we have row 25 close to the keel up to row 3 directly under the wales, than we have two lines of the wale planking (parts 2B-1 to 3 and 2C-1 to 4) and the planking rows 2 to 0.
2) On this drawing you will find also small red vertical lines, which are showing the location of the planned butt-joints (check this before you start on each row - it could be, that there are small differences (I had some). f.e it could be, that your butt joint at row 6 is not at the frame 8, but it could be necessary to make it on frame 7 or 9 - 98% of the locations were fitting to my model.
3) Please keep in mind, that on the real ship the butt joints were every time located at the center of a frame !!! This is alo important later on, when you want to show tree nails, to get a proper nailing pattern of the hull planking.
IMG-5321.jpg

and let us also take a look at the parts list in the manual
1) Here the direction is given and shown and marked with "BOW" and the red arrows
2) Every part is marked with the number of the row (see the drawing above) and numbered with a, b, c and d (for rows with four plank parts or with a, b, and c for rows with only 3 planking parts
3) You can see, that the small red arrows are not full, but have only one fluke to the top or down !!! This means, that for the planking job of one hull side (like I did until now, I have to use only the sheets 1H, 1J, 1L and so on (see the red vertical marks on the left side - so do not mix the sheets
IMG-5380.jpg

Let us take also a look at the timber sheets
1) I marked every plank part with pencil and wrote the row, the numbering a, b etc. and also marked the direction to the bow, which is only shown in the parts list shown above (green arrow - I marked this also on the timber sheet)
2) please be aware, that the laser markings defining the timber sheet (red arrow on the photo - here 1F) are sometimes upside down lasered - you have to check this with the sketch in the parts list
IMG-5382a.jpg

I removed only the parts of one row from the timber sheets, which I needed just at this moment . With this you can reduce the problem to find the correct part and also you can not mix them up from row to row - the parts have all different lengths and different curvatures and widths - so be very accurate here using the correct parts on the correct location.......

Today some more impressions of the planking work - row by row

IMG-5387.jpg

IMG-5388.jpg

IMG-5390.jpg

IMG-5392.jpg

IMG-5393.jpg

IMG-5394.jpg

Please be aware, that with row 12 (or similar) the outside planking of the hull will be also visible from the inside, so remove surplus glue before it is drying

IMG-5391.jpg

IMG-5395.jpg

IMG-5396.jpg

IMG-5397.jpg

IMG-5399.jpg

Fantastic planking job! I wouldn't attempt clinker planking in million years. The only thing you can sand here is individual plank, right? Thanks for sharing.
Once the plank is installed, only a careful sanding of each individual plank is possible - correct.
So therefore such a planking needs much more time for individual preparation and dry fitting - but with the help of a good manufacturer it si possible to get good results (but never stop thinking during this job)
The result is appr. 100 working hours for one side - but really worth to do so

Great job on clinker planking, Mon Amie! WOW! Clinker planking always adds charm to the hull. Do you plan to imitate treenail\bolts? I can fully agree with you on the time spent.

We, Alert builders, will be challenged with this task pretty soon...(should we accept it). It is interesting how we will approach it. :cool:

Great work Uwe, and indeed, the planking can’t be rushed and a great deal of time is spent thinking and preparing the assembly of each individual plank. Particularly the bow planks need adjustment as the total length of a row of planks untreated will exceed the length of the hull by quite a margin. Uwe, I could not help noticing you have not installed frame one yet. Are you planning to do this after or do I need my eyes testing? :cool:

Uwe, I could not help noticing you have not installed frame one yet. Are you planning to do this after or do I need my eyes testing? :cool:
You are correct. Frame 1 was not installed. And I have to be honest.
I planned to install this special frame, at the status, when I am coming to the first contact with the planking, so around plank 11 or 12....... and finally forgot it.
I could have reduced smaller fixing problems during the planking process of planks 3 to 11, when frame 1 would be there ..... but really simple: I forgot about this missing frame - shame on me :mad:

Back