Le Fleuron 1729 - 64 Gun Ship PoB Scratch Build in 1:48 - (Ancre Monograph-J. Boudriot/G. Delacroix)

I feel with you and I wish you a quick and full recovery.

It reminds me of my accident with the circle saw last year 25th of April when I almost amputated a part of my finger. I shared it at that time in the thread "Ouch, be aware of the sawing machines", but you can do a lot of damage by hand/scalpel too of course. My nail, sliced to a double nail had to be removed and everything stitched up in hospital. It healed nicely and most of the feeling has come back.
Thanks Herman. I do remember reading your post with your saw accident last year and happy you healed up. At this point, I'm glad I wasn't using a saw.
Ken, that’s one way to get the Admiral into modeling. She obviously knows how to use ca glue now.
Hmmm, I don't think so Vic. Not long after this happened, she joked about taking out a life insurance policy on me. At least I think she was joking.

Last edited:
Wow,, I just told the people in my build log that the red dots on the wing transom are blood. Looking to you finger and looking to mine. I'm sure I overdone the situation a bit. Mine accident looks now more like a needle stitch.
Get well soon Ken, you must be lucky with your Admiral.
I've been following your great work on your Hohenzollernmodell build Stephan. We all must shed some blood for the things we love, figuratively or literally, yes? :)

You were lucky in misfortune my friend, that could have been nasty. I know injuries like that all too well and whenever you “just” want to get something done quickly. Get well soon Ken.
Thanks Tobias. I think I've learned my lesson. Only time will tell. ;)

Oh Ja - Memories - sweet memories
Sorry to here (and see) the result of your accident - unfortunately these things happens
But I think, that this will need some stitches and not only glue
Thanks Uwek. No stitches needs. It seems even at 66 years old I still heal like a teenager.

Hello All,
First, I want to apologize to everyone following my build. I've been thinking about how I was going to make this next post as it's been 2 months since my last. I have made progress in the last 2 weeks, but nothing for the 1 1/2 months immediately after my last post. I mentioned a little "drama" in that post. I'll share that now. I always appreciate when people share their best practices and innovative ways to accomplish success. But where I find REAL value is when they are brave enough to show their mistakes, re-dos, etc. It allows all of us to learn how not to do things, save time and in some cases avoid accidents. I'm going to attempt to do that. This is my story. :rolleyes:

A week before my last post, Sandy (the Admiral) and I were to meet some friends for dinner. As is the case, I was ready to go. Sandy usually takes about 20-30 minutes longer than me to get ready. In her defense, she looks a lot better than I do. Taking more time wouldn't help me. With that said, I just can't sit still and wait for her, so I decided to grab some of my gun port frame pieces and trim them. I always, well almost always use my Panavise when working with small pieces, but since I was told to stay out of the dockyard, I grabbed a scalpel and pieces and brought them into the living room. I bet you can guess where this story is going, yes? I didn't want to be caught working so I was constantly looking up to the hallway towards the bathroom. The last glance cost me....OUCH!

WARNING: The next photo is a little graphic. Not sure I should have posted it actually, but I thought it's shock value would help others to use their Panavise.

View attachment 362675View attachment 362674

When I looked up, the Admiral was standing there with that look on her face, worry, anger, fear, even love. And I looked back, stupidly. As an OR Nurse, she quickly, but calmly went back into the bathroom and grabbed a small bottle of medium viscosity CA glue. This CA glue has anti microbial properties though. The photos are after she applied it and held pressure on it until the bleeding stopped. She was ready to cancel dinner plans to go to the hospital to have sutures performed, but I insisted we keep them. I'm not that stupid. ;):oops: So we put a bandage on it and went out.

The following week I placed an order with Amazon for a glove to wear if I was ever to cut a piece without using a vise. I was so proud of my idea that I had to show Sandy. Her response was, "Isn't that like closing the barn door AFTER the horse ran away.". I had to remind her, I had 4 other horses in that barn.
View attachment 362676
I took this photo on March 6, when I was deciding how I would share my story.

The moral of the story is, don't rush something that needs time to do correctly, or more importantly, SAFELY. I've learned my lesson. The thumb is pretty much healed, on the outside. Since the cut was to the bone, I still don't have feeling in the tip, just numbness and tingling sensations. I think it will be some time for nerves to heal up.

I've made some progress on my ship over the last 2 weeks and look to share next week.

I'm closing the chapter on the drama now. Back to normalcy!
I fainted "gulp" - speedy recovery and I think the moral of the story should be "DON"T! not listen to the admiral, follow standing orders without question" - all the best to you, cheers.

Yikes - that hurts just to look at it. I am glad that you are back on the road to recovery. Yep, nerves will heal, but it takes time for them to grow back. Your Le Fleuron looks incredible, especially how you managed to take a POF and turn it into a POB.
Thanks Donnie. You are too generous, but very much appreciated.

Dear Ken. You know that knives are one of my big interests as well. As such I am acutely aware of the exact damage a knife can inflict when one's attention waivers for a moment. What happened to you is no fun, but it could also have been more serious. Please take care, my friend and pay your undivided attention to whatever you are doing when using any bladed object. Those accidents happen faster you can say, 'knife'!

Dear Ken. You know that knives are one of my big interests as well. As such I am acutely aware of the exact damage a knife can inflict when one's attention waivers for a moment. What happened to you is no fun, but it could also have been more serious. Please take care, my friend and pay your undivided attention to whatever you are doing when using any bladed object. Those accidents happen faster you can say, 'knife'!
Heinrich, I've learned my lesson. I even put down my scalpel to type this response to you!

Hello All,
First, I want to apologize to everyone following my build. I've been thinking about how I was going to make this next post as it's been 2 months since my last. I have made progress in the last 2 weeks, but nothing for the 1 1/2 months immediately after my last post. I mentioned a little "drama" in that post. I'll share that now. I always appreciate when people share their best practices and innovative ways to accomplish success. But where I find REAL value is when they are brave enough to show their mistakes, re-dos, etc. It allows all of us to learn how not to do things, save time and in some cases avoid accidents. I'm going to attempt to do that. This is my story. :rolleyes:

A week before my last post, Sandy (the Admiral) and I were to meet some friends for dinner. As is the case, I was ready to go. Sandy usually takes about 20-30 minutes longer than me to get ready. In her defense, she looks a lot better than I do. Taking more time wouldn't help me. With that said, I just can't sit still and wait for her, so I decided to grab some of my gun port frame pieces and trim them. I always, well almost always use my Panavise when working with small pieces, but since I was told to stay out of the dockyard, I grabbed a scalpel and pieces and brought them into the living room. I bet you can guess where this story is going, yes? I didn't want to be caught working so I was constantly looking up to the hallway towards the bathroom. The last glance cost me....OUCH!

WARNING: The next photo is a little graphic. Not sure I should have posted it actually, but I thought it's shock value would help others to use their Panavise.

View attachment 362675View attachment 362674

When I looked up, the Admiral was standing there with that look on her face, worry, anger, fear, even love. And I looked back, stupidly. As an OR Nurse, she quickly, but calmly went back into the bathroom and grabbed a small bottle of medium viscosity CA glue. This CA glue has anti microbial properties though. The photos are after she applied it and held pressure on it until the bleeding stopped. She was ready to cancel dinner plans to go to the hospital to have sutures performed, but I insisted we keep them. I'm not that stupid. ;):oops: So we put a bandage on it and went out.

The following week I placed an order with Amazon for a glove to wear if I was ever to cut a piece without using a vise. I was so proud of my idea that I had to show Sandy. Her response was, "Isn't that like closing the barn door AFTER the horse ran away.". I had to remind her, I had 4 other horses in that barn.
View attachment 362676
I took this photo on March 6, when I was deciding how I would share my story.

The moral of the story is, don't rush something that needs time to do correctly, or more importantly, SAFELY. I've learned my lesson. The thumb is pretty much healed, on the outside. Since the cut was to the bone, I still don't have feeling in the tip, just numbness and tingling sensations. I think it will be some time for nerves to heal up.

I've made some progress on my ship over the last 2 weeks and look to share next week.

I'm closing the chapter on the drama now. Back to normalcy!
I know your pain and lack of touch and feeling in the finger. Last year I was using a small palm router to put a round edge on a small wood project box, and accidently wrapped my left first finger into the exhaust opening a tad to far, and got a good nip taken from fingernail and skin. All healed well but the spot on end of finger is still a bit off for being numb and touch feeling.

Hope the gloves and lessons learned help others stay safe.

Hello Everyone,

After 8 months of research and feasibility planning, I've decided to scratch build Le Fleuron. After reading all the great build logs on SoS and benefiting from everyone else's knowledge, I have decided to share my own. For me this will be a marathon and not a sprint.

Something about me.
This will be my first build log. This will also be my first "full" scratch build. I have a few kits under my belt, each progressively larger and more challenging. In each, I've found myself being faced with the usual kit issues. Materials, fittings, sometimes design elements were less than adequate. Some were related to quality of fittings or threads, but most of them were related to components being out of scale. So some I'd replace with after market products and others I reproduced myself, which I found to be personally rewarding. So rather than start another kit, I wanted to create something all on my own.
With that said, I needed to find a balance.

I needed to find a project that enabled my current skills to contribute to the progression of the project while at the same time offer some growth opportunities for me to develop scratch skills I feel I need to sharpen.

Why Le Fleuron?
1. I love her lines.
2. She is considered the first modern ship in the French navy. I liked the fact that Le Fleuron, while being an 8th century vessel, she still had elements from the 17th century, like jeer bits and round tops, among many other things.
3. As with many of us, I was inspired by other modelers with greater skills I aspired to some day reach. For me it was our SoS member, Andrey Kudin. Not just his build log, but his dry sense of humor. His innovated ways. His humility and certainly not least, his love for his son. While I've not seen a post from Andrey in over a year, I do hope he is well and he picks up where he left off at some point.

Why a PoB Scratch Build?
As mentioned earlier, in order for me to be successful I need to be honest with myself acknowledging what skills I possess and which I still need to develop. While I can swim, I would never attempt to cross the English channel only knowing the "doggy paddle". On top of that, I may be the only 66 year old with ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder).

So a PoF is out of the question as I knew I am not ready. I would lose focus during the repetitive mundane task of building frame after frame, after frame. Maybe my next build. However, I still wanted to be able to create scratch internal elements that existed below decks, but normally not fabricated in PoB builds. But how could I do both? A SHELL build.

The Shell Build (Shell on Thick Frames) or (Scorlup Method)
This is a method used by many Russian and Ukrainian master builders. It allows you to create an exoskeleton of the ship's hull by planking layers of planks on bulkheads, then removing the inner bulkheads, leaving you with a shell that allows you now to build the internal structures normally only associated with PoF builds. No frames!! Kind of like "boneless chicken wings"!

Project Approach
As my primary information source, I will be following Ancre's Monograph (Jean Boudriot/Gerald Delacroix). To supplement it, J. Boudriot's 74 Gun Ship Volumes 1-4. Beyond that, I expect I will need the help of our great SoS community. So thanks in advance guys!

Disclaimer
I am a proactive planner who is deliberate and somewhat risk adverse, which is an indirect way of saying I am SLOW. Anything I've not done before, or is a skill I am developing, I test, test, test. So not very agile. You have been forewarned.

In addition, while I will attempt to follow the French design and shipwright practices and standards of the time, there will be many exceptions. This is not a true historically accurate project. I will take artistic license where it makes me happy. Please keep that in mind when noting that a bolt is not where it should be.
Emoji

Apologies for the lengthy intro and thank you for joining me on my French journey. Now let's get to it.

There are a few really great Le Fleuron build logs t can call on for reference. Thank you all for sharing your build logs. I've followed them all, First to last page, more than once. If I've missed anyone, please let me know.

@Joachim
@KUDIN Andrey
@Randy Halter

The Shell (Scorlup) Method
Some background information. Credit to Igor Kapinos for his comprehensive article on the different methods of constructing ship's hulls, particularly the Scorlup method, which he refers to the "Plank on Thick Frames", which can be found towards the end of the article.

My shell planks will not be on "thick frames" for reasons to be outlined later. I will however, follow the core principles of the method.

See his article here:
http://sailmodel.ho.ua/present/pres.htm

Igor also has a wonderful Tutorial & Tips page

More to follow shortly and thanks for joining me!
Hallo @Hoss6262
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
Enjoy your special day

Back