Le Fleuron 1729 - 64 Gun Ship PoB Scratch Build in 1:48 - (Ancre Monograph-J. Boudriot/G. Delacroix)

Hello Mates,

Somewhat of a milestone update, but first another personal consumer experience I just have to share. So a week ago Amazon informed my my clay was "running late". They now have informed me the clay is "undeliverable", due to it being damaged. I was so confused. How can you damage clay? It is a malleable substance~~! If it gets dented, form it back!! ROTF So I will be going back to just forming a custom keel piece through the old measure, cut, fit, rinse and repeat method. Very slow, but it will work.

So I've progressed the stern structure to the point of about 90% complete. I decided to make it its own piece that I can attach to the ship and remove later to work on the window sill and pane structures while off the ship as the pieces will be very fragile. Some photos and notes are below.

Note: Stern Post, Wing Transom, Upper Transom, and 3 cross beams are all just dry fitted at the moment. This is to accommodate small adjustments when measuring and fitting to the ship. I will create "female" inserts on the shell to accept the cross beams so the structure can be easily installed and removed and ensure the alignment doesn't change after doing so.

thumbnail (3).jpgthumbnail (4).jpgthumbnail (5).jpgthumbnail (6).jpgthumbnail (7).jpgthumbnail (1).jpg
thumbnail (8).jpg

Cross beams are currently untreated. They will be done and gaps will be closed once final fitment to the ship is completed.

More than one person asked me, "Why are you creating all these pieces and finishing the wood if 90% of the work will be covered up?" The simple answer is, all in an effort to sharpen my skills. I may decide to expose similar structures in my next project and I won't have to guess what the outcome will be.

Ok, lots of measuring and tweaking now, mostly on the shell of the ship to accommodate the stern piece. I left all of the edge areas of the shell "proud" to trim to final dimensions. So I have a lot of measuring and incremental cutting to get the aft area of the ship in a final state.

See you all in about a month! ROTF

Thanks for following along, your input and likes! Till next time...

Last edited:
Nice work here Ken. A great effort for a small addition to your ship's solar array....ROTF
Just think if it were all those things, besides being a stern plate!!! I could power my tools with the solar array, tune into inner shipwright with the antennae and all while wearing my tribal mask connecting with the mystics! If only....... I guess I'll just install it on the ship. :confused: :rolleyes:

Great work, Ken. I would also build with most details even though they wouldn't be exposed, Isn't this make our hobby interesting?!
Indeed Jim. This hobby is what we as individuals make it, for ourselves. I'm sure some would think this is a waste of time. And for those, if they think it, it would be a waste of time. Personally, I look at the time and materials spent on it as an investment. While I'm satisfied as the end results on this piece, I already know what I'd do differently and I would not be satisfied with the same results the next time. ;)

I always welcome your insights Jim. Thanks!

Indeed Jim. This hobby is what we as individuals make it, for ourselves. I'm sure some would think this is a waste of time. And for those, if they think it, it would be a waste of time. Personally, I look at the time and materials spent on it as an investment. While I'm satisfied as the end results on this piece, I already know what I'd do differently and I would not be satisfied with the same results the next time. ;)

I always welcome your insights Jim. Thanks!
Can't agree more with you. Tho right now I'm on side with if you can't see it's not worth doing. But it mostly due to lack of time. Day has only 24h and I don't want it to be all modeling

More than one person asked me, "Why are you creating all these pieces and finishing the wood if 90% of the work will be covered up?" The simple answer is, all in an effort to sharpen my skills. I may decide to expose similar structures in my next project and I won't have to guess what the outcome will be
Someone once told me the same thing, so I replied - if you were me, you would waste your time on girls and cheep alcohol and you will never see them again. And... there were no more questions. If someone isn't interested, why discuss it. :D

Hi Ken my friend, nice to see you back at the start. I had some catching up to do, wonderful work on the rear end. This part has cost me some nerves so far and probably will in the future.

Hi Ken my friend, nice to see you back at the start. I had some catching up to do, wonderful work on the rear end. This part has cost me some nerves so far and probably will in the future.
Hi Tobias. Thank you. I too get a little "nervy" when taking on certain tasks. I don't know why. The only risk is a loss of time on a redo. Although, there is one exception for me, cutting gun ports. I would hate to find out I had a misalignment after cutting 30 gun ports. That kind of redo might feel a little different.
Hi Ken, I just caught up with your build again. Great progress, outstanding work on the transom.
Thanks Herman. It's been a little slow going and I've had to tweak a couple of things, but overall, it's been a good experience. It's a funny that no matter how good the outcome I still find something I could have done better. Golf is similar, to me at least. Even after posting my all time low score to par, at lunch with my mates I found myself saying, "You know, if I made that 7 footer on the 15th green.....". I need to learn to enjoy my successes. ROTF

Well, very shortly after my last post a storm hit, in the form of a puppy named Shia. I was making calculations to determine where to measure and cut the aft portion of the ship to fit the stern plate. I was constantly picking up the plate and aligning it with the back of the ship. Shia was sitting patiently waiting for me to play with her when I dropped the stern which she picked up for me.

thumbnailkk (1).jpg

So I did what every dog lover/owner does when their pet shows the need for attention. Grabbed her leash and went for a long walk in the fresh air and told her I loved her (with a tear in my eye).:(

What did I learn?
1) The dog is not allowed in the shop when working on certain delicate tasks. At least until she grows out of "puppy" mindset and finds some calmness.
2) When it comes to selecting wood, inherent strength>color and appearance. The wood I chose for the portals had grain too large and was too chalky of a consistency to retain strength for the tight cuts required. If I were a real shipwright the entire crew would be at the bottom of some sea somewhere.

This is my first major re-do, hopefully on a short list of re-dos. I'm still assessing what I want to salvage and what pieces in need to remake. I won't rush this and until it is done I won't be proceeding with the aft portion of the build.

My disappointment is still a little raw. So, to take my focus off the stern, I'll move to the area as far away from it as I can, the stem.Thumbsup;)

I believe when I first finished the stern, I posted that there were a couple of things I'd do differently the next time. I just didn't realize the next time would be coming so soon. ROTF

It's important to me to be transparent and share setbacks along with successes. I will never share defeats however. That is because I just don't acknowledge defeats and I will never be defeated.

So, it's onto the stem. I'm sure the time it takes me to finish it will also provide the time it will take for the disappointment of stern disaster to dissipate.

Thanks for following along everyone. Till next time...

My like was given, because I love how you deal with this behaviour of your puppy. A great way to handle such an accident.
And in some years you will still remember this situation with love towards your dog
You will repair this small thing in very short time :cool:

Sorry to hear the trouble..., Ken. Yes, I think the animals are not guilty of our carelessness. It is purely our fault. On the bright side, the dog actually helped you to identify a weak area of your model, that you have to redo. ;) Imagine it cracked once you already plank the transom...

I am sure with your experience, you will do it better this time.

Hello Mates,

Somewhat of a milestone update, but first another personal consumer experience I just have to share. So a week ago Amazon informed my my clay was "running late". They now have informed me the clay is "undeliverable", due to it being damaged. I was so confused. How can you damage clay? It is a malleable substance~~! If it gets dented, form it back!! ROTF So I will be going back to just forming a custom keel piece through the old measure, cut, fit, rinse and repeat method. Very slow, but it will work.

So I've progressed the stern structure to the point of about 90% complete. I decided to make it its own piece that I can attach to the ship and remove later to work on the window sill and pane structures while off the ship as the pieces will be very fragile. Some photos and notes are below.

Note: Stern Post, Wing Transom, Upper Transom, and 3 cross beams are all just dry fitted at the moment. This is to accommodate small adjustments when measuring and fitting to the ship. I will create "female" inserts on the shell to accept the cross beams so the structure can be easily installed and removed and ensure the alignment doesn't change after doing so.

View attachment 399028View attachment 399029View attachment 399030View attachment 399031View attachment 399032View attachment 399026
View attachment 399033

Cross beams are currently untreated. They will be done and gaps will be closed once final fitment to the ship is completed.

More than one person asked me, "Why are you creating all these pieces and finishing the wood if 90% of the work will be covered up?" The simple answer is, all in an effort to sharpen my skills. I may decide to expose similar structures in my next project and I won't have to guess what the outcome will be.

Ok, lots of measuring and tweaking now, mostly on the shell of the ship to accommodate the stern piece. I left all of the edge areas of the shell "proud" to trim to final dimensions. So I have a lot of measuring and incremental cutting to get the aft area of the ship in a final state.

See you all in about a month! ROTF

Thanks for following along, your input and likes! Till next time...
Hi Ken, very neat, very nice work, it’s a pleasure to see, thanks for showing in such detail.

Back