Le Rochefort 1/36 - Build Log by Moreplovac

Looking great. I may be at this stage again if I decide to start all over again on my ship. We'll see !
I am also contemplating replacing some frames (not all for now, but this is a early building stage) since they are not matching the plan... I am afraid I will have to pay some price towards the build process if the are not quite to the plan with very small deviation... I still have some other kit to build if I need a little break...

This is my pile of cut and rough sanded frame parts, ready for assembly and final sanding... I do have a bout 10 frames not marked with a number I would need to match during assembly process..

View attachment 449631Rochefort-0035.jpg

I also made few frames, completely copied from the plan, in one piece to be used as a visual representation of frames and frame orientation towards the bow/stern... this way takes more wood than cutting individual frame pieces but it is easier for testing purposes...

View attachment 449630Rochefort-0036.jpg

This is my current "good" pile of keel parts..

View attachment 449629Rochefort-0037.jpg

And this is my pile of testing parts... View attachment 449628

Rochefort-0038.jpg

The keel parts in above picture are done from wood that is thicker than needed and I planned to saw it down to the correct thickness but I had some challenges with the process and at this moment no much fundings to buy proper sander so will try to stick with the wood that has little deviation of required thickness...

And of course under the watchful eyes...

Rochefort-0039.jpg

Happy modelling..

So you had to make each frame piece individually?
Wow that is a lot of work.
I am not sure if this is correct way but that is how most of the builders are doing; individually cut, sanded and glued together, then final sand... Some other method is to cut individual pieces of wood matching solid/dotted lines on frames, glue template frames on them, cut and sand to the shape... My test frames are cut in one piece but then I would need to simulate solid/dotted lines between frames...
Yeah, lots of cutting but this usually take about 10sh hours - template marking, template cut, glue to the wood, cut, rough sand, glue together, final sand... and extra hours if you make some mistakes or don't like the end result..

First attempt to make some keel parts...
Rough sanding then some more controlled sanding using a file. Challenge here is to keep straight position of the file and not allowing it to wobble up and down during sanding.. Will need to build few sanding disks in the size of the keel parts to assisting with flat sanding... a bit afraid of damaging my Proxxon wise with sanding to the template line and keeping those metal wise parts as a border...

Rochefort-0040.jpg

Ok, looks OK... testing

Rochefort-0041.jpg

OK still looks good...

Rochefort-0042.jpg

And lets rotate to the side with no paper..

Rochefort-0043.jpg

Hmm, not quite there...

Rochefort-0044.jpg

Yeah a bit over sanded somewhere... Time for a new part..

happy modelling..

Tested working on joints to make them as flat as possible... forgot about my mini chisels and already like results using them.. There is another option to scrap the wood to make it flat... will test that as well..

View attachment 449921

Still need new parts cut..

Happy modelling..
Good evening. Whew a lot of sanding and cutting making that bag of frames, etc. Looking good . Cheers Grant

Back