Le Rochefort 1/36 - Build Log by Moreplovac

Hi Grant, I think I speak for many of our members, seeing a POF from you would be a real pleasure and you don't need to be afraid of it. This little harbor yacht would be just the right place to start.
Agreed, this build is a great experience, small enough to make mistake and correct them and all those "wrong" parts will find another life in other small pieces required for this ship; it makes me thinking and finding solutions to make different parts. Believe it will provide enough experience that can be used in any other projects, including building from kit... btw, I just ordered 1/24 set plan for the same ship, not giving up...

I admire your tenacity with the do-overs.

I'll share an anecdote: one time I came back from vacation excited to finally put the stem structure (which I had remade several times) together only to find that nothing fit. @#$%^&*(), everything was perfect before I left! What could have gone wrong? Well, it turns out I had thrown away the good parts and kept the bad ones. Fortunately, the good parts were safely in the garbage bin at my feet, so the day was saved.

A cautionary tale for you and our colleagues - throw NOTHING away ROTF...

I admire your tenacity with the do-overs.

I'll share an anecdote: one time I came back from vacation excited to finally put the stem structure (which I had remade several times) together only to find that nothing fit. @#$%^&*(), everything was perfect before I left! What could have gone wrong? Well, it turns out I had thrown away the good parts and kept the bad ones. Fortunately, the good parts were safely in the garbage bin at my feet, so the day was saved.

A cautionary tale for you and our colleagues - throw NOTHING away ROTF...
Thank you... those mistakes might not be visible that much but I will see them all the time :)

All those mistakes were not that much visible at this moment but will ended up causing some visible adjustments I wanted to avoid...

Just takes a bit more time to redo it... what i find the most cause for errors are those tiny templates for keelson, inner keel, apron, steam that can get a bit crooked when glued to material so I ended up gluing them in stages, for example for keelson, I glued 3-4 cm of template, then check that all lines are straight, then continue next portion...

I keep all my "bad" parts in one box (have a habit to keep all things that belongs to one build til the end of the process), some of them can be reused to the same purpose since they still have some material to get milled but most of them will get a new life in the form of some other pieces needed for this build...

Happy modelling...

Good looking results. Keep at it, take it from me, practice makes perfect. Well in my case, not perfect but better! ;)
Yeah, practice does make it better, still far away from perfect, need few more tools to get there which might not happen but it is good to keep the standard higher..
Now I know which mill bit to use for certain, repeated cuts which makes them much nicer...

Getting there slowly...

Happy modelling..

Keel building process continues... lots of repetitions (my mistakes) and trying to use the most of available woods takes plenty of build time... but I am getting there... This is a final version, no more "build it again", no more wood available at this moment so hopefully all will be done fine.

Rochefort-00348.jpg

Rochefort-00349.jpg

Rochefort-00352.jpg
A little bit of a cleanup and sanding is still needed..

Continue with other keel parts, like sternson knee, which I have sanded on disk sander to get correct shape. I had one over-sanded result so ended up redoing it using some old wood parts..

Rochefort-00351.jpg

The rabbet line is also taken care of, using a small chisel and lots of scraping, bellow first line with a V chisel.

Rochefort-00353.jpg

Copy of the plan with draw lines on the opposite site using a light table to see thru... I don't have a printing option to print mirror image of a plan part so had to mark lines using old fashioned method, light table...

Rochefort-00354.jpg
Rochefort-00355.jpg
Rochefort-00356.jpg

Still work in progress, not done with rabbet lines, which i find the most difficult to trace, at least for me.

Happy modelling..

To break routine a bit, started to work on frames...

Rochefort-00400.jpg

Just testing, no glue and no final sanding completed..

Rochefort-00401.jpg

Rochefort-00402.jpg

Rochefort-00403.jpg

So far goes well, the only challenge is that my wood planks were 6mm thick and frames are all 5mm so need to send down each frame individually...

Will be an expert in sanding at the end :)

Happy modelling..

Nice clean work! Well done! I would turn the half floor pieces around so the pink side shows for a couple of reasons. 1. The thickness of the paper sandwiched between the floor timbers will cause some errors in thickness And 2. You will need the reference of the lines when it comes to fairing the frames. Fair winds, my friend.

IMG_8467.jpeg
IMG_8480.jpeg

Double check your thickness measurements. I made mine a frame pieces little “proud” at 5.3mm so when assembled they are 10.6”. This should leave pretty much exactly 3mm between frames and gives room for adjustment as needed. Just my two cents…

Last edited:
Thank you..

Yeah, I always leave some more material which ending me up in more sanding then needed; in this case trying to follow plan (5mm pink,5mm yellow and 3mm for space) so hopefully it will work ok a the end... if not, there is always another kit available on the pile :-)

Rochefort-00416.jpg

I thought the same as you but found out the hard way that the true thickness of the frames is 5.25mm or 10.5mm for each coupled frame.
The scantling table on page 86 identifies the frames as “4 pouce” or 189mm in 1:1 scale. At our scale of 1:36 this translates to 5.25mm.
I made my frames 5.3mm for an assembled 10.6mm frame. After final sanding they are now the 10.5mm needed.

If you notice in your photo above your ruler is “creeping”. If the spacing was truly 10mm and 3mm you shouldn’t see any difference from the start to the end of the ruler.

IMG_8564.jpeg
IMG_8566.jpeg

If you make the frames 10mm you will need to adjust the spacing between frames to 3.5. And all your pieces like the keelson will be off…

As I said, I learned the hard way that 0.10mm here and there makes a mess of the model. If you’ve read my build log you know I had to start over from the beginning due to creeping errors in my original attempt.

Believe me, I’m no expert and I’m just relaying my experience in building this model. Other more experienced folks like @Tobias or @Nersch may give better advise.

Fair winds my friend…

Back