Le Rochefort Proposed Group Build Le Rochefort group build, builders wanted.

Hello Admins, @Donnie @Jimsky and @zoly99sask and @Uwek, as far as regularity is concerned, I think it will be very difficult anyway with such a project as the Kratzer Bau. I don't think you can compare it to a kit protocol. There are enough construction processes that are very lengthy, I'm just thinking about the frame construction alone, which will take weeks. I am speaking from my own experience and with the time I normally have available. 2-3 hours in the evening, i.e. you can build about 2 frames per day in that time. According to my estimation and what I have seen in the French forum, the construction of Le Rochefort will take at least 2 1/2 - 3 years. Maybe even faster, but everyone should be aware of that.

I do not remember if I got any response from @tonphil1960 if he is willing to take on being the Moderator of this proposed Group.
Donnie, no not really. I build a huge amount in winter. Once spring comes my other hobbies start and work starts again and I don't build much at all. Too many hobbies and interests to take on moderating the group. It really doesn't matter. If we have a few of us working on the project and our build logs are active its easy enough to find it on the boards. We can even start a general thread on the build where non build log info can go.

Hello Admins, @Donnie @Jimsky and @zoly99sask and @Uwek, as far as regularity is concerned, I think it will be very difficult anyway with such a project as the Kratzer Bau. I don't think you can compare it to a kit protocol. There are enough construction processes that are very lengthy, I'm just thinking about the frame construction alone, which will take weeks. I am speaking from my own experience and with the time I normally have available. 2-3 hours in the evening, i.e. you can build about 2 frames per day in that time. According to my estimation and what I have seen in the French forum, the construction of Le Rochefort will take at least 2 1/2 - 3 years. Maybe even faster, but everyone should be aware of that.
Agree 100% this is a long term project. I think just to do the frames including bow and stern is many months to a years worth of work.

Yes - therefore it would be no problem, if somebody starts earlier and some other modeler later with the project.
What I want to say: There is in my opinion no need, that everybody will or has to start in the same time, others can jump in also months later

Hi Guys,
Just to throw in a question.
All binders build at a different rate of speed so dose that mean that a slower builder would be left behind whilst others continue forward at pace ?
In one way it could be advantages but on the other hand it would put pressure on that particular builder to try and catch up.

I only ask this question as there must be members wishing to join in with the Group build but are a little worried about keeping up with the other builders.

Hi Guys,
All binders build at a different rate of speed so dose that mean that a slower builder would be left behind whilst others continue forward at pace ?
In one way it could be advantages but on the other hand it would put pressure on that particular builder to try and catch up.

I only ask this question as there must be members wishing to join in with the Group build but are a little worried about keeping up with the other builders.
In my opinion and experience it will be never ever reachable, that all builders will have a similar status in the progress.
Some will need 1 year, other maybe 3 years for this project, so there should be never any stress or pressure.
In addition will there be some modelers which realize after some time following the logs of others, that it is an interesting ship and model and would like to jump in afterwards - also this should be never forbidden.
In my opinion all participants in such a group build should try to post regularly their progress - if there is no progress in work, ok than no posts, but what I would not like is, that after half year no posting, there comes one and show the ship half finished. A groupd build is giving and taking information, and experience.

Hi Martin, everyone sets their own pace, no matter how fast or slow they are, I don't think there's any need to rush. If you want to start a year later, you can only benefit in the end. You can do your thing in peace and have the advantage of being able to orientate yourself on the building reports of the other group members, you can ask questions about how and why it was done that way etc.. This is not about speed or who is the better but about building the same ship in a group and learning from one or the other or even giving tips yourself. To give or receive constructive criticism. And above all, having fun.

Hi Guys,

Of course everyone builds a different paces. I worked on my Blandford section 6 to 8 hours a day everyday almost for months. Then it slowed down. Some can only devote a few hours per week others like myself will work many hours per day everyday to try to make progress because I know slower times are coming. It doesn't matter how long things take. It takes what it takes to finish the job be it months or years. Building while learning isn't easy. Luckily we have knowledgeable people to answer our questions. I am still going over the book, plans and Gerards monograph and making copies. I have many questions already and I don't even have my lumber yet !

Toni what scale are you making now 1:24 or 1:36
I will use 1:36, which will be my personal standard scale for all ships.

In my opinion and experience it will be never ever reachable, that all builders will have a similar status in the progress.
Some will need 1 year, other maybe 3 years for this project, so there should be never any stress or pressure.
In addition will there be some modelers which realize after some time following the logs of others, that it is an interesting ship and model and would like to jump in afterwards - also this should be never forbidden.
In my opinion all participants in such a group build should try to post regularly their progress - if there is no progress in work, ok than no posts, but what I would not like is, that after half year no posting, there comes one and show the ship half finished. A groupd build is giving and taking information, and experience.
Hi Martin, everyone sets their own pace, no matter how fast or slow they are, I don't think there's any need to rush. If you want to start a year later, you can only benefit in the end. You can do your thing in peace and have the advantage of being able to orientate yourself on the building reports of the other group members, you can ask questions about how and why it was done that way etc.. This is not about speed or who is the better but about building the same ship in a group and learning from one or the other or even giving tips yourself. To give or receive constructive criticism. And above all, having fun.
Thank you guys for your replies the question.
I hope it puts other members new to the hobby that are thinking of doing some thing like this group build.
Would it be possible to post a list of what is needed and where to purchase the items from to attempt this project such as the books, plans, drawings,
Again I ask for the benefit of others.

Thank you guys for your replies the question.
I hope it puts other members new to the hobby that are thinking of doing some thing like this group build.
Would it be possible to post a list of what is needed and where to purchase the items from to attempt this project such as the books, plans, drawings,
Again I ask for the benefit of others.
Hello Martin
As I have already written to you, you can get the books and the monograph from Ancre in France, and the wood from your trusted dealer, or possibly also from the sponsor from the USA mentioned by Donnie.

Hello Martin
As I have already written to you, you can get the books and the monograph from Ancre in France, and the wood from your trusted dealer, or possibly also from the sponsor from the USA mentioned by Donnie.

Thank you Tobias,
I know I had this information, but I was just asking incase others had not seen what was required for this project.

I'm going to do 1/36. I was thinking about the larger scale but I have the 1/36 plan set so Ill use them.

For everybody interested these are the approximate sizes (in cm) in the different scales, taken from the ancre page

"Model" means the hull only without masts, spritsail and yards
"Rigged model" off course the complete masted model

Screenshot 2022-11-25 144044.png

Very true. If one is going to do a build log then it should be as complete as possible showing every step, within reason of course. Posting up photos of frames being cut and then posting up the completed hull doesn't show us much. I find it so simple to use my phone for everything. The days of taking photos with a camera and downloading them etc etc are antiquated. I've noticed on many logs people go missing for months and months that's fine but it doesn't work for a group build. My philosophy is if I'm going to do it I'm going all in, if not then don't do it at all. Again within reason of course life interferes with our hobbies.

So far here are the ones that have an interest in Le Rochefort. Enough ( I think ) for a group build:
@tonphil1960
@Tobias
@Bill-R
@Jwallkc
@Martin555.

I am seriously thinking of ordering the monograph as well (if I can talk the Admiral into it), but I can not promise I can start it immediately. I have had this vessel on my to-do list as a good starter scratch for myself. Who knows, maybe in a few months, I could jump in. If I were to do this, I might just build it as a Navy Board style and no hull planking.

Now, Zoltan informed me that the monograph plans do not have a Bill-of-Materials (lumber list) as this is up to the individual as to what scale they want to build.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This info is NOT meant to violate any copyright information but is only to INFORM the reader.

However, according to the Sorolla Book, the author built his based on the as-built plans, therefore:

"The same thickness will be needed for the construction of the Keel, the Stem, the Sternpost, and inner Framing Parts, such as the Transoms, Breast-Hooks, Keelson, and Deck Clamps. The same thickness is also needed for the frames." This information is taken from the book: "An Introduction to Model Ship Building 'Dockyard Style'" the author is Adrian Sorolla. This book was or can be purchased from www.ancre.fr

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Donnie I hope you can convince the Admiralty of this. In 1:24 scale the frame half is 8mm which means that in 1:36 it is 5.3mm.
8mm x 48 : 36 = 5,3mm.
I will order 5,5mm boards and sand them to 5,3mm. My construction will start after Christmas. Woods used will be Swiss pear, boxwood, ebony and American maple. I will build in the Admiralty style, the starboard side planked, port side open, whether I will rig it I will leave open.

Back