Le Rochefort Proposed Group Build Le Rochefort group build, builders wanted.

Hello Norgale,
a monograph is usually a set of plans at some scale with an accompanying book. The book mentions a little history of the ship being built, further explains the attached plans, construction to rigging and diameter of the rigging.
As far as the wood is concerned, it does not matter which wood you use, but since it is a POF, you will not be happy with balsa wood and the like. It is advisable to go for harder woods in order to have a certain stability in the frame. I hope I could help you a little.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Good advice Tobias and thanks for the reply. I have little experience with POF so I'll sit this one out and LURK. I have two models to finish, the Athena and the Cutty Sark and I want to get them done while I can still see well enough for that work. Still don't know how long that may be. Meantime I do want to build the Great Republic and that will require built up frames so I'll study what you all do with the La Rochefort to see how that is done. Pete

A big advantage for this group build will be the fact, that several of our members (included myself) have the planset at home, so also others not actively participating with their own Rochefort will have the possibility to read and search for details in the drawings.
So I expect active discussions and a lot of hints and comments also by others......

I would not change the construction method of the frames, especially in a group build

actually i do not know what the method of building frames are for this build, i was just suggesting different methods. I have built hull both ways cutting out frame parts then assembling a frame and building frame blanks and cutting out the entire frame. I know in the past the pieces by piece method is way more difficult unless your using accurately laser cut frame parts.

i will say if your using sheet stock and cutting frame parts out of the sheet then the narrower the sheet the better the wood will hold its shape. The wider the sheet wood tends to cup and twist and in general warp.

Ok, so, it is good that we have much interest in this Group - however, this Group must have a Moderator. It is just someone that is willing to oversee the Group. There are just a few things that a Moderator needs to do, so can you please PM me or mention it here? I wish for this Group to be successful, but it has to have a Moderator willing to watch and manage the Group. It is not that difficult. If you let me know, I will discuss with you just a few things you need to do.
The Moderator is not over the entire forum - this person is just overseeing just this one group. Easy.

there are two ways to approach the building of frames on way is to use sheet stock the thickness of 1/2 the full frame and cut out each frame piece then assemble the frame. A second method is the Hahn building where 1 inch wide framing material is used and a frame blank built, then the frame shape is glued to the face of the blank and the entire frame is cut out.
Having built a hull the Hahn way I can categorically say I will never do that again... at the end of the day I had frames but I also had a massive pile of mostly useless scrap wood... It is an incredibly wasteful (and consequently expensive ) manner of construction. It still bothers me no end.

I am now incredibly stingy on my wood use and work hard to get as much out of each piece as possible.

I also stopped using photocopies (as much as possible). I have yet to find copier that reliably copies to scale... and making all those copies gets expensive too.

I now trace the frame pieces on drafting vellum ( one roll will last a long time) and then rubber cement it to the board... I also rubber cement two boards together so I only have to cut frame pieces once (that is, cut left and right frame pieces together)

It is working well for me with L'ambitieux - which I will be taking a break from for this project...

Maybe I am just getting miserly in my old age...

Davis Antscherl describes a similar (very) method in the latest NRJ... the difference is he doesn't rubber cement the tracing down but copies them with carbon paper onto the wood.

Jeff

20221128_123852.jpg

20221127_130351.jpg

Last edited:
I would not change the construction method of the frames, especially in a group build

actually i do not know what the method of building frames are for this build, i was just suggesting different methods. I have built hull both ways cutting out frame parts then assembling a frame and building frame blanks and cutting out the entire frame. I know in the past the pieces by piece method is way more difficult unless your using accurately laser cut frame parts.

i will say if your using sheet stock and cutting frame parts out of the sheet then the narrower the sheet the better the wood will hold its shape. The wider the sheet wood tends to cup and twist and in general warp.
To get started, you would need 4 pieces of pear wood 60x600x6.95 mm for the parts of the spine, and at least 7 pieces 60x600x5.30 mm for the frames. perhaps some more economical wood might be sufficient for the frames as well. + postage to Europe. If you do the math, there might be a group order thanks Sz.L. translation: with google translatorméret.jpg

Having built a hull the Hahn way I can categorically say I will never do that again... at the end of the day I had frames but I also had a massive pile of mostly useless scrap wood... It is an incredibly wasteful (and consequently expensive ) manner of construction. It still bothers me no end.

that is very true the blank method with the extended frames to fit in a jig does use much more wood. But if you are not building upside down in a jig using extened frames that cuts way down on the waist.
To me the wasted wood is a small price to pay not to be fustrated in accuratly having to cut each and every piece then trying to accuratly assemble each frame. I do seek the simple way as not to torture myself doing thing the hard way.

here is a little fun fact from the days of wooden ship building. Just the scrap left from building a wood ship can supply heat for an entire village

with environmental issues of wasting wood i see tons and tons of wood burnt as firewood or tossed in a landfill or ground up for mulch the tiny bit of waist used to build a model is nothing.

log load.jpg

that is very true the blank method with the extended frames to fit in a jig does use much more wood. But if you are not building upside down in a jig using extened frames that cuts way down on the waist.
To me the wasted wood is a small price to pay not to be fustrated in accuratly having to cut each and every piece then trying to accuratly assemble each frame. I do seek the simple way as not to torture myself doing thing the hard way.

here is a little fun fact from the days of wooden ship building. Just the scrap left from building a wood ship can supply heat for an entire village

with environmental issues of wasting wood i see tons and tons of wood burnt as firewood or tossed in a landfill or ground up for mulch the tiny bit of waist used to build a model is nothing.

I understand Ease of build issue, accuracy can be overcome by cutting outside lines and cheap oscillating spindle sander for Harbor Freight tools :p

... look at the picture below... (sorry about the size/quality of the pic, digital cameras weren't nearly as good back in 2007 or so).... the white box of frames to the right generated those other 2 boxes of waste... ugh...

waste.jpg

but you can make a very pretty hull the Hahn way, I have to say...

hmsWarrior1781.JPG

Does it matter what kind of wood I would use to build my ship? I usually stain or paint my models with Home Depot stuff and build with bass or balsa wood along with poplar and whatever else I have on hand. I do need to buy some rigging line though. I have never made my own sails so that would all be new to

I am now incredibly stingy on my wood use and work hard to get as much out of each piece as possible.

I also stopped using photocopies (as much as possible). I have yet to find copier that reliably copies to scale... and making all those copies gets expensive too.

I now trace the frame pieces on drafting vellum ( one roll will last a long time) and then rubber cement it to the board... I also rubber cement two boards together so I only have to cut frame pieces once (that is, cut left and right frame pieces together)

It is working well for me with L'ambitieux - which I will be taking a break from for this project...

Maybe I am just getting miserly in my old age...

Davis Antscherl describes a similar (very) method in the latest NRJ... the difference is he doesn't rubber cement the tracing down but copies them with carbon paper onto the wood.

Jeff

View attachment 342993

View attachment 342995
Great work. We need builders experienced like yourself in the build, that would be great. L'ambitieux is an impressive ship and not an easy model to build. Yes indeed, cutting two pieces together is a huge time saver.

A big advantage for this group build will be the fact, that several of our members (included myself) have the planset at home, so also others not actively participating with their own Rochefort will have the possibility to read and search for details in the drawings.
So I expect active discussions and a lot of hints and comments also by others......
Are you joining us ? We like to have a few experienced builders because I know there will be many many questions.

I believe that each builder should decide for himself the method of frame building that is right for him, whether it is cock or another type. Each of us has our own budget and financial leeway.
Indeed. To each their own. Just build it however they want to.

as the group developes and i get a material list i can create a timbering package for anyone who does not have the machines to do their oun lumber cutting or provide rought material to those who can cut and mill the wood.
Dave. I think just lumber in the proper thicknesses for the frames, keel and ceilings would be great. 6.95mm 5.30mm and 1.25 mm. Fractionally will range slightly heavy of 9/32, 7/32 and 1/16. So surface planing or sanding will be necessary.

Back