Lougre le Coureur 1776 CAF Model by Chello

So, I wanted to post a comprehensive log of building the stern section of Le Coureur. Looking at the drawings, the parts .pictures of other builds including CAF’s Tom I knew it was going to be tricky. Well, in short it was! I’ll spare you a build log as it was going from plan A to plan Z with tweaks in between. The only thing I can say is, take your time, think 5 steps ahead and don’t be afraid to start again. I kinda ended up building it half inside the jig and half outside. Nevertheless it’s done and next weekend I’ll be able to glue the frames in after a final work over.
In conclusion a very challenging part of the build but so much fun!!
Well done Chello. I' m still in the changelling part ..as for the fun ... For the moment it is really for me a sort of act of faith... But I am optimistic. The reward in terms of satisfaction will eventually come at end

Hi Chello,
Just wondering if it is on purpose that your C2 end plate is not properly in place? Did you make it removable in order to make it easier to take the stern section in and out of the berth?
Also it seems as if you are missing the 2 small vertical plates in the purple ovals?
1603883965191.png

Hi Chello,
Just wondering if it is on purpose that your C2 end plate is not properly in place? Did you make it removable in order to make it easier to take the stern section in and out of the berth?
View attachment 188103
Hi Poul, you are right. In order to get the stern and keel back in I removed C2 end plate and left it loosely fitted to give me some wriggling room. It’s now firmly back in place so I can continue with adding the frames to the keel.

After having had similar issues as some of the other members in the group build with frames 34, 35 and 36 I finally managed to install them all more or less to my satisfaction. The last section of the frames towards the stern is nowhere near as clean as I wanted but as they will be covered by inside and outside planking I’m not too bothered. I also think the instructions, particularly for frames 38 are not particularly clear. I installed the port side frame 38 and left the starboard one out (I will explain later)
What was more worrying than the challenge of the limited instructions was the fact that the frames, particularly the ones up from nr34 are ever so fragile and break very easily due to the issues with fitting in the jig and the fact you have to file and bevel the inside and outside of the floor timbers to make them fit the keel and keelson. I had frame 35 break on 3 places and I already contacted Tom at caf for a replacement sheet as most of the other ones had fractures too. Managed to fix/bodge it though.
The keelson fitted nicely with no issues.
75B48329-1344-4B55-B95D-C068CC6735B1.jpegE4333B2F-D70E-4F34-A83A-012A189E2628.jpeg

The next issue was thinking about the next steps and how to plan for this. @Uwek has already talked about the main considerations, particularly relating to the deck clamps (note there is a fault in the instructions) and part 2A-4.0A2549BA-9B75-4040-8520-5A2084B41349.jpegI will start with 2A4 (they are soaking in water now after having been (roughly prepared), but I have decided to plank the first 3 (top) rows of the inside of the stern. I am hoping for a better fit for part 2A4 and 3A3. This will also link into if it is better to install those parts with or without frame 38 in place (see my previous post).
See below the dry fitted and untreated setup.

C4EA62DA-C715-4332-A5D1-D5216E65E332.jpeg249E5C95-4052-489C-B772-436DA08CF54A.jpeg

255D59D7-CBB3-4115-8259-1AAF63C8DCEF.jpeg

I 100% agree with @Uwek the importance of patience and to consider every single step and to think a few steps ahead. For a novice like me an intimidating and challenging prospect but oh so much fun!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Another daunting part of the build started, the inner hull planking. @Uwek build log was as usual very helpful and on his advice I soaked the planks only 30 min, used a hair straightener (pls don’t tell the admiral) to gently shape, soaked for an other 5 min and cowardly used CA glue. The first 8 planks are on and although not easy for a newbie like me, not as hard as I thought. Wet sanded the planks a bit and hopefully not too much shrinkage when fully dry.
what’s really cool is that the timbers have very small notches and other bits like you would find in real timber that makes it look very realistic. Pity most of it will be covered.
3F9A8685-D7F5-4A0B-B440-8B46FD6399EF.jpeg 9943BF4A-A51D-4854-87B8-AED3ABA8F190.jpegA0BDD3FA-477A-40A1-BD92-F58006F4B6BA.jpegEBEB9EFE-939B-426D-B45B-4B063996524F.jpeg

Another daunting part of the build started, the inner hull planking. @Uwek build log was as usual very helpful and on his advice I soaked the planks only 30 min, used a hair straightener (pls don’t tell the admiral) to gently shape, soaked for an other 5 min and cowardly used CA glue. The first 8 planks are on and although not easy for a newbie like me, not as hard as I thought. Wet sanded the planks a bit and hopefully not too much shrinkage when fully dry.
what’s really cool is that the timbers have very small notches and other bits like you would find in real timber that makes it look very realistic. Pity most of it will be covered.
View attachment 194284 View attachment 194285View attachment 194286View attachment 194287
The dark area on the upper plank looks like damage but is actually just a very dark vein in the wood

Back