Medieval Spanish Coca - AMATI 1:60 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Dear Rodolfo. It is with mixed feelings that I am reading the last posting. On the one hand I am very happy for you that you have finished your superb-looking model. On the other hand I am sad to think that there won't be any more updates. I have followed you from Day One and have really enjoyed this build. Congratulations my friend and everything of the best for you in the future!

Dear Friends,
thank you so much for your kind words.
I will certainly watch with much interest your wonderful works (each of us puts passion and genius to overcome difficulties and improve), so I'm sure I will learn many new things.
Just now I finished a simple relaxing job on a German diesel locomotive. This is the actual locomotive:1.jpg
these are the windows of the model built by ROCO company:2.JPG
These are designs that change the interior view in the windows:
000_4977 (2).JPG 000_4978 (2).JPG

and this is the final result, much closer to the original:000_4986 (2).JPG
Of course, this trick can also be used on the windows of modern ships.

After I get several railroad cars set up, I think I'll turn my attention to building this brig, of which I'm looking for additional documentation:
Brigantino Symondiets.jpg a.JPG b.JPG

See you soon!

Rodolfo

Attachments

• finestroni.jpg
    finestroni.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 7
Congratulation for finishing this interesting model - well done
I am looking forward to see your work on the brig

Dear Friends,
thank you so much for your kind words.
I will certainly watch with much interest your wonderful works (each of us puts passion and genius to overcome difficulties and improve), so I'm sure I will learn many new things.
Just now I finished a simple relaxing job on a German diesel locomotive. This is the actual locomotive:View attachment 282010
these are the windows of the model built by ROCO company:View attachment 282012
These are designs that change the interior view in the windows:
View attachment 282014 View attachment 282015

and this is the final result, much closer to the original:View attachment 282016
Of course, this trick can also be used on the windows of modern ships.

After I get several railroad cars set up, I think I'll turn my attention to building this brig, of which I'm looking for additional documentation:
View attachment 282042 View attachment 282040 View attachment 282041

See you soon!

Rodolfo
Hello Rodolfo.
I have a Brig model 1:55 (Briga, Brig, Bergantine Le Brigantin Lawrence).
I bought the kit at Barcelona in 1986, I stopped the assembly at the same year. Since then only the main body was assembled.
At the 24/01/2022 I started again the assembly after 35 years, now that I am retired from work and my kids are at their own.
I have made some progress with the assembly since I resumed the project.
As for your request, I took a photos of two main drawings that I can share with you No. 1 and No. 8.
I can tell you that the original kit was missing a very important drawing No. 2 as well as many other parts. The documentation is unfriendly.
If it will suit your request I can share with you the other drawings as well as thoughts, some difficulties I faced and my experience.
Maybe if your progress will be faster, in return I can ask you for some answers
Good luck
Michel

Brig drawing No 1.jpeg

Brig drawing No 8.jpeg

Brig history  Description.jpeg

Brig names.jpeg

Brig The status of the model in 24012022.jpeg

Brig The status of the model in 24012022-2.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi Michel,
welcome aboard!
Now I'm working on railway material:

000_5130 (2).JPG,

but gladly I'll post the photos of the drawings I found for my brig, if you think they can be useful to guess what could have been in drawing 2.
Anyway keep in mind that the USS Lawrence was an American brig from the early 1800s, while mine is British from the mid-1800s, so there will be a lot of diversity.
There is one thing I don't understand: from your photos it looks like there are only ten guns, while I read that the USS Lawrence had as armament 2 long 12-pounders, 18 short 32-pounder carronades, for a total of 20.
In my opinion, the best thing you can do is to open a new post with a name like "USS LAWRENCE by DIKAR" and describe the model and the work done. It is likely that someone who has already built it or is building it will write their comments and suggestions.
From my experience I have found that the forum is full of knowledgeable people who will gladly give very useful advice.
Good sawdust!
Rodolfo

Hi Michel,
welcome aboard!
Now I'm working on railway material:

View attachment 296593,

but gladly I'll post the photos of the drawings I found for my brig, if you think they can be useful to guess what could have been in drawing 2.
Anyway keep in mind that the USS Lawrence was an American brig from the early 1800s, while mine is British from the mid-1800s, so there will be a lot of diversity.
There is one thing I don't understand: from your photos it looks like there are only ten guns, while I read that the USS Lawrence had as armament 2 long 12-pounders, 18 short 32-pounder carronades, for a total of 20.
In my opinion, the best thing you can do is to open a new post with a name like "USS LAWRENCE by DIKAR" and describe the model and the work done. It is likely that someone who has already built it or is building it will write their comments and suggestions.
From my experience I have found that the forum is full of knowledgeable people who will gladly give very useful advice.
Good sawdust!
Rodolfo
Hi Rodolfo,
I thank you for your fast reply, yes, I have read the history of the "Brig". The US navy had two "Brig" ships designed by a navy officer during the war between the British and the settlers in America. The design was as a replica of the British "Brig". That is what I understood from that history, the American model come after the British, correct me if I'm wrong.
I don't know about the amount of cannons that the "Brig" was equipped with, the "Brig" Lawrence that I have have only 10 cannons.
During the 35 years (of ship abandoned) I have lost 2 cannons - do you have any ideas how or where can I build or buy similar cannons?
Thank you for the advices, they are very helpful.
And yes, I'll take your advice and I will open a new post in the name "USS LAWRENCE by DIKAR"
Aha, the sawdust is "The air that I breathe"! By the Hollis!
Michel

Hi Rodolfo,
I thank you for your fast reply, yes, I have read the history of the "Brig". The US navy had two "Brig" ships designed by a navy officer during the war between the British and the settlers in America. The design was as a replica of the British "Brig". That is what I understood from that history, the American model come after the British, correct me if I'm wrong.
I don't know about the amount of cannons that the "Brig" was equipped with, the "Brig" Lawrence that I have have only 10 cannons.
During the 35 years (of ship abandoned) I have lost 2 cannons - do you have any ideas how or where can I build or buy similar cannons?
Thank you for the advices, they are very helpful.
And yes, I'll take your advice and I will open a new post in the name "USS LAWRENCE by DIKAR"
Aha, the sawdust is "The air that I breathe"! By the Hollis!
Michel
Please provide close up pictures and accurate length measurement of the cannon barrels you have left. I have scoured the internet for custom cannon barrels for my build, and may be able to find you a close match to the barrels you are missing.

Please provide close up pictures and accurate length measurement of the cannon barrels you have left. I have scoured the internet for custom cannon barrels for my build, and may be able to find you a close match to the barrels you are missing.
Hi Kurt Suleski,
Thank you for replying.
Here is the picture of the barrel.
I am trying to mold it from lead.
Thank you.
Michel

Cannon barrel 1.jpeg

Dear friends,
Interestingly, the carriage is narrower in front, very realistic.
Beware that the wheels were made of wood: the metal rims would have ruined the woody deck (at least so I read somewhere).
Have a good work!

Hi Kurt Suleski,
Thank you for replying.
Here is the picture of the barrel.
I am trying to mold it from lead.
Thank you.
Michel

View attachment 296754
Your kit is old and parts from that company are unavailable. I have found the following cannon barrels similar in size from Amati. $1.13 each.

Amati 38mm cannon barrels at Modelers Central
20220317_185423.jpg

I also found these at Syren shipyard. They are turned brass and are more expensive but are closer to the ones you have. They are 36.9mm long. They cost $17.50 for four barrels. You wont get any closer than these.

36.9mm Turned Brass Barrels at Syren Shipyard
1647562417422.png

Good luck!

Last edited:
Your kit is old and parts from that company are unavailable. I have found the following cannon barrels similar in size from Amati. $1.13 each.

Amati 38mm cannon barrels at Modelers Central
View attachment 296801

I also found these at Syren shipyard. They are turned brass and are more expensive but are closer to the ones you have. They are 36.9mm long. THey cost $1750 for four barrels. You wont get any closer than these.

36.9mm Turned Brass Barrels at Syren Shipyard
View attachment 296802

Good luck!
Thank you,
Very important information, You have done a great search and finds.
Let be sure - 1 each of the brass barrels cost 437.5$ "THey cost $1750 for four barrels" if it is not a typo mistake, let say that I have paid half of this for the entire model, back then at 1986.
I think I will be more than satisfied for the cheaper ones for 1.37$ each. I am ready to buy the all set of 10 barrels.
I am right now at the "Amati" site doing some learning.
Thank you again your remarks are very helpful
Michel

Let be sure - 1 each of the brass barrels cost 437.5$ "THey cost $1750 for four barrels" if it is not a typo mistake, let say that I have paid half of this for the entire model, back then at 1986.

There is off course a dott missing -> 17.50 $ for four

but the form of the muzzle is much more modern, so you should search for other ones, which fit better to your earlier period

Thank you,
Very important information, You have done a great search and finds.
I think I will be more than satisfied for the cheaper ones for 1.37$ each. I am ready to buy the all set of 10 barrels.
I am right now at the "Amati" site doing some learning.
Thank you again your remarks are very helpful
Michel
That was a typo. Four barrels cost $17.50. Be sure to click on the links in that message!

That was a typo. Four barrels cost $17.50. Be sure to click on the links in that message!
Thank you for introducing me to the "Amti" site, now I am a subscriber, a lot of products and materials that I can use and learn from.
For 14.75$ I may buy the set of four brass barrels. Now I am visiting the "Syren shipyard" site.
Michel

Last edited:
Medieval Spanish Coca - AMATI 1:60

Greetings to all the shipbuilders in this forum.

October 2019 I decided to do another attempt in shipbuilding (the first was the Golden Star when I was a boy) and I chose the AMATI's Coca, because:
1) she's very nice and
2) she seems easy (but I realized it wasn't so for me, maybe for other people more skilful).
3) it's not a very common subject.
One negative aspect is that the documentation about 15th-century ships is very scarce. Actually, as an example, no one knows exactly how the Santa Maria of Columbus was built, which is also more recent.

After examining the plans and looking for images of contemporary boats, I decided to make some changes:

View attachment 214158
1) the hawseholes must be moved forward.
2) the yellow marked area will be "clinker working".
3) the upper beams will have a smaller section, differently positioned and will be more numerous.
4) the lower beams will be more numerous and differently positioned.
5) some wales will be differently positioned and one more (5) will be added.
6) the frames and the bulwark stanchions will be more numerous.
8) stern deck extended (in yellow).
7) the rigging will be totally changed, following that of the Nao of Matarò at:

The Nao of Matarò is considered the forerunner of all constructions of this type, even if it was an ex-voto and perhaps not a faithful model of the prototype.

See you soon,

Rodolfo
Hallo Rodolfo alias @Michiel de Ruyter
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Simply beautiful, Rodolfo! Tell us more about your latest "creature" please.

Back