Medieval Spanish Coca - AMATI 1:60 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hi Peter,
thank you for visiting this topic.
Regarding the railing, I was inspired by the Nao of Matarò, but I think that also different solutions will have been possible...we have so few
documents at our disposal that I think we can still work on our imaginations.:)
Z.jpg

Hi Peter,
thank you for visiting this topic.
Regarding the railing, I was inspired by the Nao of Matarò, but I think that also different solutions will have been possible...we have so few
documents at our disposal that I think we can still work on our imaginations.:)
View attachment 268609

Yes, the Nao of Mataró in the Maritime Museum in Rotterdam, if you look carefully in the picture above, the openings in the railing are rhomboid.
This picture is a bit clearer:
1636453381179.png
As you say, lots of versions are possible and yours look very good too!

Dear friends, finally the top has arrived in its place. This is the proposal of AMATI, which all in all is agreeable:

100_1079 (2).JPG If you want, you can rebuild it, or try to modify the existing one.

I tried this second way: I made 16 symmetrical openings, 000_4913.JPGthen I inserted some tables on the

bottom (taking care not to interfere with the wiring): 000_4914.JPG

and I colored it white with red dots: 000_4936.JPG

000_4918 (2).JPG000_4920 (2).JPG000_4921 (2).JPG000_4930 (2).JPG
000_4941.JPG

I saw a similar scheme on: "Historic Ship Models" by Wolfram Zu Mondfeld, although in black and white. I painted the top with opaque acrylic paints, first dark red and then white (after covering the red circle areas with adhesive paper discs). After that, I gave it a very fine rub down with sandpaper and water to further dull the colors.
In the end, however, I'm not delighted with the result; I'll probably build a new top to replace this one, which isn't glued but just stuck to the top of the mast.

See you soon,

Rodolfo

Hi Rodolfo - to my layman's eyes the top looks superb. Why are you not happy with it?

Hi Heinrich, thank you for your kind words but, considering what you've done if you're a layman I'm a dog, with all due respect to dogs, of course...
About my dissatisfaction with the top, it lies in the fact that it seems a bit "fake", "artifactual" to me.
This is the top of S. Maria drawn by Xavier Pastor and one other built by an Italian modeler:coffa Pastor.jpg

coffa6.jpgcoffa7.jpg:

They seem preferable to mine...

@ Kurt: Thanks for the suggestion; I might try with diluted dark gray/brown acrylic color.

Good work to all ship modelers!

Rodolfo

Medieval Spanish Coca - AMATI 1:60

Greetings to all the shipbuilders in this forum.

October 2019 I decided to do another attempt in shipbuilding (the first was the Golden Star when I was a boy) and I chose the AMATI's Coca, because:
1) she's very nice and
2) she seems easy (but I realized it wasn't so for me, maybe for other people more skilful).
3) it's not a very common subject.
One negative aspect is that the documentation about 15th-century ships is very scarce. Actually, as an example, no one knows exactly how the Santa Maria of Columbus was built, which is also more recent.

After examining the plans and looking for images of contemporary boats, I decided to make some changes:

View attachment 214158
1) the hawseholes must be moved forward.
2) the yellow marked area will be "clinker working".
3) the upper beams will have a smaller section, differently positioned and will be more numerous.
4) the lower beams will be more numerous and differently positioned.
5) some wales will be differently positioned and one more (5) will be added.
6) the frames and the bulwark stanchions will be more numerous.
8) stern deck extended (in yellow).
7) the rigging will be totally changed, following that of the Nao of Matarò at:

The Nao of Matarò is considered the forerunner of all constructions of this type, even if it was an ex-voto and perhaps not a faithful model of the prototype.

See you soon,

Rodolfo
One research option may be to go into Academia.edu to find research papers that would be related to this type of ship, construction of that period, and other questions. They post degree thesis papers and research documents from both single authors as well as umbrella organizations for a research area. It was of immense help for my Bronze Age Kyrenia (wreck recovery) and model log/project. You never know what may turn up that is directly or only related to your needs or general interest/knowledge. Rich (PT-2)

Many Thanks, Rich,

I completely agree with your point about Academia.edu.
Unfortunately, I discovered it late in the process of building the cog, so I was unable to take advantage of its support.
In the meantime, however, I have made myself a library on the Spanish navy from the 16th to the 18th century....:)

Rodolfo

Many Thanks, Rich,

I completely agree with your point about Academia.edu.
Unfortunately, I discovered it late in the process of building the cog, so I was unable to take advantage of its support.
In the meantime, however, I have made myself a library on the Spanish navy from the 16th to the 18th century....:)

Rodolfo
In my case I have found that even after the fact of a point of a build I enjoy receiving notices of related papers for my own general and more broad-spread awareness. I am amazed at the range of topics and papers that are available, even without the premium connection. Rich

Dear ship-modeler friends.
thanks for your very welcome contributions that help to improve this post!
After long reflection, I think that probably my latent dissatisfaction with the top depends on the fact that it looks worn while the ship looks like it just left the yard. I looked for an exculpation in the fact that at that time there were certainly no bright synthetic colors, the binders were egg whites or drying oils, and probably after a year of sun, wind, water, salt, heat and cold, they would have degraded quite quickly, while a good wood could resist better. Furthermore, it was a merchant ship and was intended to produce profits, not to frighten or dazzle enemies with decorations, like the ever-shiny warships. Although the distinction was probably more tenuous at that time...
So I then moved on to attaching the yard braces:
A.JPG

L.JPG M.JPG
Z.JPG 000_4948 (2).JPG

All that is remaining now is the placement of anchor and buoy on the starboard side and the figurehead.

See you soon!

Rodolfo

My friend I don't think you have to worry about conflicting characteristics in your model's appearance. You are looking at the top in isolation, because it bothers you and because you are concentrating solely on that. If you step away and look at the model as a whole, I am sure you will gain another perspective. I am very impressed with your build.

My friend I don't think you have to worry about conflicting characteristics in your model's appearance. You are looking at the top in isolation, because it bothers you and because you are concentrating solely on that. If you step away and look at the model as a whole, I am sure you will gain another perspective. I am very impressed with your build.
Your presentation of the rigging and hanked lines look very realistic. This will be a fine ship when completed. Rich (PT-2)

Thanks a lot, guys, and for the support and advice, always appreciated it! Indeed, after a while, my impression of the view of top has improved...
The kog is finished and I'm hoping for a sunny day tomorrow to photograph it outside.
I take this opportunity to wish all modeling friends 2022 much richer in joy and without viruses that distress us.
Rodolfo

A very happy and healthy New Year to you and your family Rodolfo.

Thank you so much, Heinrich, best wishes to you and your nearest and dearest as well.

Dear shipmates,
I finally glued the last detail and the Coca is completed.
It took two years and three months, also due to research and changes made to the basic version.
It was a very exciting journey that forced me and allowed me to learn many new things of a super fascinating, varied and complex world, which was not completely unknown to me.
I want to express my feelings of deep gratitude to those who have accompanied me on this journey, helping me with their considerations, advice and comments to build a better model than I would have done alone. I would have loved to meet you personally, but the distance and the current situation are not favorable...
For these final photos, I set up the microscopic and amateurish photo set and did my best to present the final summary of the work. Here are some images for a general view.
First the bow:PR1.JPG
PR2.JPGPR3.JPGPR4.JPG PR5.JPGPR6.JPG PR8.JPG

The top:
C3.JPG C4.JPG

The stern: PO1.JPGPO2.JPG PO4.JPGPO3.JPG

Pictures of the inside and midship:

I2.JPGI3.JPG I4.JPG

I1.JPG

I5.JPG I6.JPG

...and finally a general view:

A.JPG

B.JPG C.JPG

The next ship will be an English military brig from the mid-1800s.
In the meantime, however, I'm taking a little rest going back to the origins: 61 years of railroad have marked me and I have a lot of work started that is a shameful thing!
Good work to everyone!

Rodolfo

Attachments

• C2.JPG
    C2.JPG
    220.6 KB · Views: 12
  • C1.JPG
    C1.JPG
    257.9 KB · Views: 10
  • PR7.JPG
    PR7.JPG
    232.9 KB · Views: 10
Thank you so much, Heinrich, best wishes to you and your nearest and dearest as well.

Dear shipmates,
I finally glued the last detail and the Coca is completed.
It took two years and three months, also due to research and changes made to the basic version.
It was a very exciting journey that forced me and allowed me to learn many new things of a super fascinating, varied and complex world, which was not completely unknown to me.
I want to express my feelings of deep gratitude to those who have accompanied me on this journey, helping me with their considerations, advice and comments to build a better model than I would have done alone. I would have loved to meet you personally, but the distance and the current situation are not favorable...
For these final photos, I set up the microscopic and amateurish photo set and did my best to present the final summary of the work. Here are some images for a general view.
First the bow:View attachment 280768
View attachment 280769View attachment 280770View attachment 280771 View attachment 280772View attachment 280773 View attachment 280775

The top:
View attachment 280779 View attachment 280780

The stern: View attachment 280781View attachment 280782 View attachment 280784View attachment 280783

Pictures of the inside and midship:

View attachment 280786View attachment 280787 View attachment 280788

View attachment 280785

View attachment 280801 View attachment 280802

...and finally a general view:

View attachment 280803

View attachment 280804 View attachment 280805

The next ship will be an English military brig from the mid-1800s.
In the meantime, however, I'm taking a little rest going back to the origins: 61 years of railroad have marked me and I have a lot of work started that is a shameful thing!
Good work to everyone!

Rodolfo
Really a fine model with all of the small detailing and accessories lead by that fierce eagle! Rich (PT-2)

Have fun with both hobbies, the skills come in handy for both, building, painting and enjoying the end results.

I model HO scale, among my multiple hobbies.

Back