Model Airways Sopwith Camel 1/16 scale [COMPLETED BUILD]

Thank you to everyone for your condolences and kind words! I really appreciate it. I knew this day would come, but you can never truly be ready. I have too many fond memories to share. But to give you an idea of what she was like, I will share a story.
When I was very young and got my allowance, she would take me to the store, and I would pick out something I wanted to buy. She knew the money was burning a hole in my pocket, she used to say. And she would tell me, if you still want that item tomorrow, we will come back to the store and buy it. I used to get so mad and tell her it’s my money and I want to spend it. But the next day I would have already changed my mind about what I wanted…lol. She was teaching me not to be impulsive! And soon I learned if I saved that allowance, when I got my next allowance I would have twice as much to spend and could buy something even better! ;)
And she used to say when we sat down for dinner, anyone who complained about the meal, had to cook the next one. Then she would ask how is dinner! :p No one complained! ;)
She was very witty and intelligent, and taught us many important values and lessons. She will be missed, but has gone to join my grandfather. They met in college and were married 52 years until he died. When he retired from the Air Force, they played golf together, and she was very good at it.
She lived to see her grandchildren have grandchildren! So I do feel blessed to have had her in my life, but of course I wish I could see and talk to her one more time…sigh!

Last edited:
This kit build is looking extremely high quality compared to most wooden frame aircraft kits.

Of course this is intended to stay uncovered I believe, which justifies the level of detail and high quality work you always produce.
Thank you Kurt! It has its challenges, but that is half the fun! ;)

For the fuselage stringers, 1/16” square stock was called for. Oddly enough, there was not enough supplied. And I didn’t have any extra.
So I decided to take another approach that I like. I used copper round bar stock. The trick was making it look like wood and blend in. So I did some painting, dry brushing and washes to attempt to make it look like wood and a bit weathered too.
In addition the edge of the plywood is always ugly, so I painted it and did a wash to make it look better…
44B6EA6B-24CE-407C-ADAC-B4B160D42D1D.jpeg

And the stringers…
1D2733A8-84EE-41CD-8E1B-5372D1D01009.jpeg58407DCA-2F2A-4052-AD76-62CEC3C88516.jpeg

Next is more frame supports for the seat and gas tanks, then the machine gun mounts.

When looking at the fuselage assembly I was surprised to see those two engine support frames in the front fuselage were originally made out of wood. Being used to aluminum, titanium, composites, castings, forgings, etc, I just assumed these parts to be either forgings or casting. Brilliant design and that no two decades after first powered flight. To put this achievement into perspective, nowadays it might take up to 15 years from conception to first flight... (But entirely different animals, I know.)

When looking at the fuselage assembly I was surprised to see those two engine support frames in the front fuselage were originally made out of wood. Being used to aluminum, titanium, composites, castings, forgings, etc, I just assumed these parts to be either forgings or casting. Brilliant design and that no two decades after first powered flight. To put this achievement into perspective, nowadays it might take up to 15 years from conception to first flight... (But entirely different animals, I know.)
The engine mount is attached to that wood frame, and is metal with a firewall.
That assembly will be next after I finish this step. I still have to add the supports for the seat and gas tanks, then the tail skid, and finally the machine gun mounting frames. That will finish this step. ;)
Here is an actual picture for reference…
0513123A-09C8-4286-A856-F096CDA84CE6.jpeg

Last edited:
Adding the mounting straps to the eyes…

First I cut a piece of copper tape…
1B364606-8DF8-4581-8835-B5D2889C7E10.jpeg

Then I stick it to the fuselage…
BAB0E21B-EEC7-4DAC-A774-B034C4CE492D.jpeg

Then I press it down with a diamond rat tail file, by rolling the file across the tape. This also gives it a cast look…
23B3DF6C-A671-40F8-A455-EF277AD9493B.jpeg

Then the remaining portion is ready to be pressed and rolled in place…
1EFE1052-DEDE-4C6E-B286-58D2D2EC5861.jpeg

After being pressed and rolled into place with my rat tail file..
1EE6D760-C6B4-40AB-909C-1D1CCA0C0B14.jpeg

Then they are painted…
2762174F-9C94-4977-BD11-1CBC8609A2B3.jpeg

Back