Model Airways Sopwith Camel 1/16 scale [COMPLETED BUILD]

You scoundrel - you say nothing! Seriously though, my friend, I wish you a wonderful day and my wish is that you will not only enjoy the day, but a year full of happiness and health with your loved ones around you! Happy Birthday!

Simply stunning work Dean. To me the seatbelt looks slightly on the wide side for the seat, but what do I know? In any case, that does not detract one iota from a marvelous build!

View attachment 299475

I do, however, feel sorry for the NL in the corner - you can always send her to Nantong! Just joking - my Haarlem is also stashed away on the floor in the spare room!
I'm with Dean on this one: airplanes always take precedence over ships, no matter what. That's why I first have to finish my Bluenose, before even ordering an aircraft kit; if I do, I already know what will happen next...;)

Beautiful work Dean. The detailing you have worked in is wonderful. I would like to do one of these WWI aircraft at some point but need to clear my current stock a bit before adding to it (again).

Happy Birthday!

A hungry carpet monster! But I have found a way to beat it! We have a Miele vacuum cleaner, and it has an access door to the bag. So if I lose a part, which happens frequently, then I take the bag out of the vacuum cleaner and vacuum until I hear a part go into the vacuum. Then I shut if off and open the access door and get my part out! ;)
Another approach is to cover the nozzle with a pair of SWMBO's retired hosiery. This is especially useful for very small and very delicate parts.

Tonight after dinner I decided to install the control lines to the rudder and tail skid from the rudder pedal. I know…I could not stay away from the model! :p
It was an exercise in patients for sure. Typical of ship rigging… you know, pass thread through a hole…oops wrong one…redo…pull slack out of thread, hangs up on everything it can…finally get to tie off point, put glue on…about to do the celebration dance and cut the excess thread…oops cut wrong one!!!! :(
And talk about hard to get to…anyway. After finishing the rudder and tail skid, I figured I might as well add the control lines for the elevator.
So all that’s left is to add the tension cables underneath the fuselage.
Some pics…
1802915E-9C79-437D-AC2C-B59DAC4A9242.jpeg3B55EC96-B4C8-4643-A641-FF6F64A0D352.jpeg802CC5B3-5C36-454C-ABAD-B845FD423D5F.jpeg68A8D34F-E78E-4299-A8BA-4249F6D86BA6.jpegCA0CE374-5519-49F4-8BD2-B9E32F7BC7D4.jpeg5A72F58B-17D9-4974-8115-42B89B839953.jpegFDFF8CD8-0317-48F0-A863-407A5E61E77A.jpeg90555C88-E56C-4DE0-972F-7F5AD46DA97D.jpeg

Last edited:
Tonight after dinner I decided to install the control lines to the rudder and tail skid from the rudder pedal. I know…I could not stay away from the model! :p
It was an exercise in patients for sure. Typical of ship rigging… you know, pass thread through a hole…oops wrong one…redo…pull slack out of thread, hangs up on everything it can…final get to tie off point, put glue on…about to do celebration dance and cut the excess thread…oops wrong one!!!! :(
And talk about hard to get to…anyway. After finishing the rudder and tail skid, I figured I might as well add the control lines for the elevator.
So all that’s left is to add the tension cables underneath the fuselage.
Some pics…
View attachment 299595View attachment 299596View attachment 299598View attachment 299599View attachment 299600View attachment 299601View attachment 299602View attachment 299603
Fantastic Dean. Just curious, how do you seize the cable there at the eyelet end of the turnbuckles and do the turnbuckles actually work, that is are they threaded and turn to tighten like real ones?

Back