Model Airways Sopwith Camel 1/16 scale [COMPLETED BUILD]

Fantastic Dean. Just curious, how do you seize the cable there at the eyelet end of the turnbuckles and do the turnbuckles actually work, that is are they threaded and turn to tighten like real ones?
Thank you Daniel!
The cable is just tied and super glued (CA), and the turnbuckles are not working parts.
I added some PVA glue, with a toothpick, to the thread/cable afterwards and painted silver to represent a cable crimp that would have been used. ;)
If you put a small dab of CA on the thread, before you tighten the knot, a single knot is plenty and therefore not bulky and out of scale. The turnbuckles are unfortunately out of scale diameter wise. They would have been much closer to the diameter of the cable.

Dean, your model looks fabulous!
Any chance you have a roll of wallpaper handy?
A plain uncluttered background would improve your photographs clarity immensely.
Thank you!
You are absolutely correct about a background! I guess I have been lazy when it comes to the photos. :(
I will make more of an effort in the future to use a background piece to take photos of the Camel. I have a large piece of white construction board that should do! ;)

Tonight I did some painting…the new canopy fit real well, so I painted it. I think I like it better than the first one. Sometimes doing something twice is not so bad! ;)
63663D11-0D5C-465A-BF3F-24BB387412F8.jpeg
New one on the left, old one on the right.

New one sitting on the airplane…
02F37320-2471-4956-9286-1ADB1A2B58A7.jpeg0031BCBB-528E-48F9-963F-6045CC918D32.jpegFB63179C-113E-4AED-BAE5-11B5FC21FE53.jpeg

I like it better myself, I like the lighter shade and the larger brown coaming. Also opted to leave off all the brads on the coaming. You don’t always see them. ;)

Tonight I did some painting…the new canopy fit real well, so I painted it. I think I like it better than the first one. Sometimes doing something twice is not so bad! ;)
View attachment 300206
New one on the left, old one on the right.

New one sitting on the airplane…
View attachment 300207View attachment 300208View attachment 300209

I like it better myself, I like the lighter shade and the larger brown coaming. Also opted to leave off all the brads on the coaming. You don’t always see them. ;)
I'm starting to suspect you're a professional modeler, Dean... To me your build appears to be almost flawless, I would take on your rejects without a second thought.

I most definitely prefer the lighter-colored canopy too - it blends it better with the rest of the wood and is a proper army color. It's actually amazing how the canopy ties the components together. As to the quality of your work, magnificent. It is obvious that you are doing something that you enjoy and the fruit of that labor is there for all to see!

I most definitely prefer the lighter-colored canopy too - it blends it better with the rest of the wood and is a proper army color. It's actually amazing how the canopy ties the components together. As to the quality of your work, magnificent. It is obvious that you are doing something that you enjoy and the fruit of that labor is there for all to see!
Thank you Heinrich! I am having fun with the build, despite the castings! ;)

Back