Modelship Dockyard - New Kit [Modelship Dockyard] PoF H.M.S. Enterprize 1774, the 1/48 version!

It looks like something went wrong over there... .
IMHO, a pity that beams and other parts are going to be sandwich-made. Perfect squared notches could have been milled on solid parts at 45 degrees, as D. Antscherl suggests in his monographs. A challenging effort, anyway.

View attachment 450371

Hi Albert, we highly value the feedback from players. It is indeed a pity, that sandwich beams may not satisfy all player's need. We are currently doing this way beacuse it would be very costly for us to premade the notches, that would require CNC on all beams, we may able explore that on later kits. There is indeed another solution that we are able to provide, which is that cutting the beams as a whole and with no notches, players can therefore cut the notches on their own to get a better effect. Currently we think that it might be time consuming and require some tools and skills, but we would like to hear from all of you. If there are many player thinking this would be a better way for the beams, then we would like to go with this way.

Hi Albert, we highly value the feedback from players. It is indeed a pity, that sandwich beams may not satisfy all player's need. We are currently doing this way beacuse it would be very costly for us to premade the notches, that would require CNC on all beams, we may able explore that on later kits. There is indeed another solution that we are able to provide, which is that cutting the beams as a whole and with no notches, players can therefore cut the notches on their own to get a better effect. Currently we think that it might be time consuming and require some tools and skills, but we would like to hear from all of you. If there are many player thinking this would be a better way for the beams, then we would like to go with this way.
Hey there. Your kind interplaying with us potential buyer is pretty cool and appreciated. As the sandwich solution results in a detrimental loss of overall quality once the "creature" will be displayed and peered by an expert eye, you maybe consider the chance to offer as an option solid raw beams with notches'position merely laser beamed on as a guide for milling or file work, instead of three distinct pieces each. I assume that figure could even results in a savings for you and the customers as well. Antscher's 45° degrees technique, as I experimented on my Hoy, is quite simple and effective even using a squared file.
Kind regards.

Hi Victor. I built your fantastic HMS Blandford kit a couple of years ago and found it a most enjoyable project. The deck beams on this kit where all made up of three parts sandwiched together and l found this to be no problem at all. In fact it all added to the fun of the building process. The final results were amazing. This next kit looks even better and I will be very interested in making this my next project after completing my current build. I am following with great interest

Victor,
This model looks like a great idea and frame construction is a joy to see. As it is a prototype I hope you don't mind a mention of a couple things that jumped out.

Have you used scantlings based on contemporary sources for dimensional information? The reason I ask is that the moulded (in and out) dimension of the top timbers in the range of the quarter deck, forecastle and waist looks to be extremely heavy. For a 28 gun ship of this era, using the scantlings of the 1745 Establishment and Shipbuilder's Repository 1788 they would be moulded about 4 inches (just over 2mm at your scale) It may the photo but the moulded dimension looks to be a lot thicker than that. Coupled with the thickness of the upper strakes of molding such as the waist rail or sheer rails and quick work inboard, the planksheer will be extremely broad.

Another oddity is that the battens on the gratings are all going athwartships, which was never done, rather than fore an aft.

I love that you are offering a fully framed model kit and hope you do not mind these comments, they are meant as a help.

Last edited:
Victor,
This model looks like a great idea and frame construction is a joy to see. As it is a prototype I hope you don't mind a mention of a couple things that jumped out.

Have you used scantlings based on contemporary sources for dimensional information? The reason I ask is that the moulded (in and out) dimension of the top timbers in the range of the quarter deck, forecastle and waist looks to be extremely heavy. For a 28 gun ship of this era, using the scantlings of the 1745 Establishment and Shipbuilder's Repository 1788 they would be moulded about 4 inches (just over 2mm at your scale) It may the photo but the moulded dimension looks to be a lot thicker than that. Coupled with the thickness of the upper strakes of molding such as the waist rail or sheer rails and quick work inboard, the planksheer will be extremely broad.

Another oddity is that the battens on the gratings are all going athwartships, which was never done, rather than fore an aft.

I love that you are offering a fully framed model kit and hope you do not mind these comments, they are meant as a help.
Hi Allan,

Thank you for your comments! The frame issue was being fixed already, the top part of the frames should be acturally 3.5mm wide on the model, we used 5.5mm on this pilot model which was scaled up from the 1/96 model (as 1.75mm is not possible to make we changed that to roughly 2.75 on 1/96). The width therefore is not appropriate, but we missed that point in the early stage of making this pilot model. However we have already adjusted the width and related parts when we found the mistake so it would be fine on the kit.

We indeed missed the details for battens on the grating, we will be fixing that for the kit, thank you again for the comments.
1717216915402.jpeg

The Enterprize (28) 1774 carried twenty-four Armstrong Frederick 9 pounders and four 3 pounders. Will the cannon and carriages in the kit be AF pattern or some other stock kit pattern? With exception of HMS Active, all the 28 gun sixth rates at the time of Enterprize carried 7 foot nines as in the sketch below. The best looking guns I have seen in a long time are now 3D printed and would help keep the cost of the kit down.
Allan
9 pounder  7 foot.JPG

I would be happy, if the notches can be cut our, better than the sandwich beams
But this is a question of the personal taste
Cutting by the modeler would produces maybe sometimes some innacuracy in the location of the carlings etc.
imagine thje zick-zack of the carlings - I do not know what is better
For me personally - massive beams and cut the notches with a chisel

I would be happy, if the notches can be cut our, better than the sandwich beams
But this is a question of the personal taste
Cutting by the modeler would produces maybe sometimes some innacuracy in the location of the carlings etc.
imagine thje zick-zack of the carlings - I do not know what is better
For me personally - massive beams and cut the notches with a chisel
One possibility to help the accuracy is to mark the notches slightly with a laser....

The Enterprize (28) 1774 carried twenty-four Armstrong Frederick 9 pounders and four 3 pounders. Will the cannon and carriages in the kit be AF pattern or some other stock kit pattern? With exception of HMS Active, all the 28 gun sixth rates at the time of Enterprize carried 7 foot nines as in the sketch below. The best looking guns I have seen in a long time are now 3D printed and would help keep the cost of the kit down.
Allan
View attachment 450696
The cannons will be correct, we will be posting big images for the cannons soon.

Thanks Victor
Correct cannon patterns and sizes as well as correct carriages is a huge plus. This will be a treat to see.
Allan

Sorry for not understanding, but what are the sandwich parts. This is a new term for me.
Thanks Dirk

Back