Montañes by Occre Build Log

Some progress at weekend :

70 chain plates prepared and assembled on the model.

26 samson posts prepared, painted and glued to their places.

There are a few works to be done before starting the masts and rigging.

I'll glue the cabin at the quarter deck, capstan at the forecastle deck and four anchors after rigging will finish to make the rigging easly.

View attachment 204895View attachment 204896View attachment 204897View attachment 204899View attachment 204900View attachment 204901View attachment 204902View attachment 204903View attachment 204904View attachment 204905View attachment 204906

View attachment 204908
View attachment 204907
A comment of the Riggen of The Guns- not totally correct. There are mainly two groups: 1 The British ones, where the Backrope goes through a ringbolt and the around the final part of the Gun- in Spanish Cascabell /rattle Snakes) Te Oriental one goes through a Hole in the Gun Carriage <and is the fasten undercarriage.nº4-5 are British Rign. Nº 6 the Continential Rig.

1195--GUN FRANCES.jpg1196--GUN INGLES.jpg1197-60010.jpg1268- gun.jpg1151--guns.jpg01079.jpg

A comment of the Riggen of The Guns- not totally correct. There are mainly two groups: 1 The British ones, where the Backrope goes through a ringbolt and the around the final part of the Gun- in Spanish Cascabell /rattle Snakes) Te Oriental one goes through a Hole in the Gun Carriage <and is the fasten undercarriage.nº4-5 are British Rign. Nº 6 the Continential Rig.
Tanks for this valuable information sir.

For confirmation this is the rigging for Spanish guns right?

58FBD233-D21C-42B0-A312-68A6029BEFE5.png

If so then I have to make 112 pieces of 2 or 2,5 mm blocks with two holes

I’m not in hurry to finish my model so this means that I’ll begin gun rigging alteration. :)

Last edited:
Tanks for this valuable information sir.

For confirmation this is the rigging for Spanish guns right?

View attachment 205002

If so then I have to make 112 pieces of 2 or 2,5 mm blocks with two holes

I’m not in hurry to finish my model so this means that I’ll begin gun rigging alteration. :)
YES

I started to build the masts.
I decided built the bowsprit first. But I faced a problem.
In Turkey we were ordered to stay at home from 9 pm to 5 am for weekdays and for weekends (from friday 9 pm friday to monday 5 am). It's active for last 7 weeks and noone knows when it'll end. So I decided to move some of my tool to home and converted my computer dest to a small workshop. (Yes of-course I got permission from my wife :) ) But couldnt take my lathe to home.

I decided to use my drill as lathe to make bowsprit parts. What I did here is to sand by hand gently to thinner the wood. I used 80 grit sandpaper first and than 150, 240 and finally 400. Result was satisfying.

IMG_3154.JPGIMG_3155.JPGIMG_3158.JPG

Problem solved and bowsprit came to shape.

I used brass black solution for brass strips ans simply glue them to their places. I glued all three parts together and tie down with 0.5mm brown thread.

IMG_3162.JPG

IMG_3164.JPG

I made two metal parts from 1 mm coper wire ( Sorry I dont know their names. If someone tell me I'l be very pleased :) )

I forged the edges of the parts and shaped them, solder the edges of the ring after mounting the pieces and used brass black solutionfor to give iron effect.

IMG_3167.JPGIMG_3173.JPGIMG_3181.JPGIMG_3182.JPGIMG_3183.JPGIMG_3185.JPGIMG_3186.JPGIMG_3187.JPG
IMG_3188.JPG

Finally I tied down the blocks.

IMG_3166.JPGIMG_3233.JPGIMG_3235.JPGIMG_3236.JPGIMG_3238.JPGIMG_3243.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3189.JPG
    IMG_3189.JPG
    230.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3239.JPG
    IMG_3239.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3244.JPG
    IMG_3244.JPG
    107.8 KB · Views: 6
Hi Turkey, I have -for now made a copy of all pic, and sofar nothing much to complain. Maybe some pieces are out of scale, butter this to avoid an accident. Two things to mention: 1 is a warning: You are taking a lot of risks to make the Bowsprit with all its part. That long -forgot the English name- the outher part. It is NOT wrong, but -although in Turkey -you may not have a big BEER belly as others. It breaks easily. Thye 2Nd point is That the CAP of the main Mast is wrong. You have added the English one, but the Oriental ones are different, especially in Spanish warship. will add a pic.
The rest is SUPER done. pics the 1Th the oriental cap, and the last two the British one

162-JARCIA DE LABOR- OSTAGAS.jpg1534-YARDS  (35).jpg1595-foremat-trinquita--STANDING  rigging (7).jpg904- tamboreta continental.jpgGG- (92).jpgGG- (97).jpg

Hi Turkey, I have -for now made a copy of all pic, and sofar nothing much to complain. Maybe some pieces are out of scale, butter this to avoid an accident. Two things to mention: 1 is a warning: You are taking a lot of risks to make the Bowsprit with all its part. That long -forgot the English name- the outher part. It is NOT wrong, but -although in Turkey -you may not have a big BEER belly as others. It breaks easily. Thye 2Nd point is That the CAP of the main Mast is wrong. You have added the English one, but the Oriental ones are different, especially in Spanish warship. will add a pic.
The rest is SUPER done. pics the 1Th the oriental cap, and the last two the British one
Hi Poul

Thanks for your valuable comments.

The cap hasn't glued yet. Just dry fitted. Tonight I'll build the crows nest so I didnt glue it.

But as far as I understood there are Spanish, English and OCCRE type caps presented. (I mean the first picture you sent) :)

There are 1:1 scale mast drawings for the model and I follow them while building the masts. On these drawings cap is different with the ones in your pictures.

Ocrre supplied precut caps from wallnut. And I think mostly like English type. Please look at the OCCRE's drawings below.

Maybe I must note these differences and feedback to OCCRE.

Best Regards from Turkey

Bilal

11111.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Poul

Thanks for your valuable comments.

The cap hasn't glued yet. Just dry fitted. Tonight I'll build the crows nest so I didnt glue it.

But as far as I understood there are Spanish, English and OCCRE type caps presented. (I mean the first picture you sent) :)

There are 1:1 scale mast drawings for the model and I follow them while building the masts. On these drawings cap is different with the ones in your pictures.

Ocrre supplied precut caps from wallnut. And I think mostly like English type. Please look at the OCCRE's drawings below.

Maybe I must note these differences and feedback to OCCRE.

Best Regards from Turkey

Bilal

View attachment 206858

All Spanish Ship at the time of the Trafalgar battle has this rounded cap. I have a big amount of info about that. When I in its time, reduced the English type to the half, cut a piece os a mast wood- the with the right seize-cut in into two halves and glue one on the foremast the other onto the main mast.. On the flat part, you will have drill a hole on each side, where lift cable goes through. then you will have to make two cuts -in a bigger scale a wheel was inserted (roldana in Spanish). then the lift over this cut a down to a 3 ways blog with a hook, and fasten. on the deck on the side of the mast, another 3way block was inserted to the deck, and this 2 3 block was now set fast with a hook to a ringbolt on the deck. OCCRE is now manufacturing (in a bad way) in Metal- can be seen to those who are building Soleil Royal sold by ALTAYA/ DeAgostini but Manufactured by OCCRE. Anyhow everybody builds in there way. P.S. I have my approx 50 building from KITS NOT seen a single one without mistake and do a thing to make the build cheaper. Montañes is in the Middle area of Prices- about 450€ with Norske Love in the lover Area about 250-300€. and the high price from Victoria Models and Amati -between 700-1100 €

2127-RIGNING (27).jpgTENSORES RIGGEN.jpg

Hello Bilal, I just found your build log and I am really impressed with your work. Your hull turned out beautifully - I love your work on the chainplates and the other upgrades you have been adding to your ship. Thanks for the inspiration! I'll be watching closely to see what I can learn for my own 3rd rate ship build (though your ship is about 200 years more modern than mine!).

Hello Bilal, I just found your build log and I am really impressed with your work. Your hull turned out beautifully - I love your work on the chainplates and the other upgrades you have been adding to your ship. Thanks for the inspiration! I'll be watching closely to see what I can learn for my own 3rd rate ship build (though your ship is about 200 years more modern than mine!).
Hi Paul

Thanks for your encouriging comments.
I begun to make ship models in 1989 when I was a student in Naval Academy. Since then I'm trying to build as much as I have time.
I can say that I'm still learning a lot of things about ship modelling and SOS is the right place to learn and inspire.
If I could inspire you in something, that would make me very very happy.
Best Regards from Turkey
Bilal

Thanks for your comment and likes Dean.

Your Xebec is also looking great. I'm watching your blog and I admire your meticulous and clean work. Absolutely inspiring.

Best Regards from Turkey

Bilal
This is a great build log with excellent work-around suggestions for various parts. First time to see the log and your careful progress recognizing what you may want to remake for various reasons. A good idea to follow your own lead. Rich (PT-2)

All Spanish Ship at the time of the Trafalgar battle has this rounded cap. I have a big amount of info about that. When I in its time, reduced the English type to the half, cut a piece os a mast wood- the with the right seize-cut in into two halves and glue one on the foremast the other onto the main mast.. On the flat part, you will have drill a hole on each side, where lift cable goes through. then you will have to make two cuts -in a bigger scale a wheel was inserted (roldana in Spanish). then the lift over this cut a down to a 3 ways blog with a hook, and fasten. on the deck on the side of the mast, another 3way block was inserted to the deck, and this 2 3 block was now set fast with a hook to a ringbolt on the deck. OCCRE is now manufacturing (in a bad way) in Metal- can be seen to those who are building Soleil Royal sold by ALTAYA/ DeAgostini but Manufactured by OCCRE. Anyhow everybody builds in there way. P.S. I have my approx 50 building from KITS NOT seen a single one without mistake and do a thing to make the build cheaper. Montañes is in the Middle area of Prices- about 450€ with Norske Love in the lover Area about 250-300€. and the high price from Victoria Models and Amati -between 700-1100 €
Hi Poul

For confirmation I made a drawing. Please see below.

A is the configuration of OCCRE.

B is what I understood from your post. (Blocks will be tie down on deck.)

Since my mast's that flat part glued, it's too hard to make this renovation on the mast. Then I'll have to rebuild the mast again.

But I can drill two holes at that places (C) (of course just for this model. Future models will be just you explained. )

Is that Ok?

162-JARCIA DE LABOR- OSTAGAS.jpg

Fore Mast.png

Hi Poul

Since my mast's that flat part glued, it's too hard to make this renovation on the mast. Then I'll have to rebuild the mast again.

But I can drill two holes at that places (C) (of course just for this model. Future models will be just you explained. )

Is that Ok?

View attachment 207078

View attachment 207076
Hi Poul

Is that Ok?

View attachment 207078

View attachment 207076
I try to make it a little more clear. Your drawing -according to Occre -are the British Riggen of the Main Yard with Two 3 ways Blocks between the Yard and the Platform. then from Upper block,a single Cord went through the Lubbers Hule- Not sure name correct-up to halt of the mast from the platform and cap (through the Ring on each side.
The Oriental wat had a big cord fasten on each side of the mast. This Cord (lift )went from the yard through the lubber hole directly up this funny cap through a hole in the flat part(towards the Bow) and over the half-round part -through a cut on each side. then half downwards to a 3ways block connected with another 3 ways block fasten to the deck with a hook. hope this is better. Writting in a firing language special with many Tecnical word about ships

Scan_0017.jpgScan_0017.jpgF08.jpg2217-BLOCKS (21).jpg255214f3a6dc9e78859f93841eec1be1.jpg

I try to make it a little more clear. Your drawing -according to Occre -are the British Riggen of the Main Yard with Two 3 ways Blocks between the Yard and the Platform. then from Upper block,a single Cord went through the Lubbers Hule- Not sure name correct-up to halt of the mast from the platform and cap (through the Ring on each side.
The Oriental wat had a big cord fasten on each side of the mast. This Cord (lift )went from the yard through the lubber hole directly up this funny cap through a hole in the flat part(towards the Bow) and over the half-round part -through a cut on each side. then half downwards to a 3ways block connected with another 3 ways block fasten to the deck with a hook. hope this is better. Writting in a firing language special with many Tecnical word about ships

Dear Poul

Well understood now.

This is the cap which I'll build. :)

It's easy to convert the ones I have to the oriental Spanish caps.

Thanks for your comments.

904- tamboreta continental.jpg

Back