MY BLUENOSE- YUANQING SCALE 1:72 SCALE [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hello Ship Mates, Today the little fellows and I completed the building of our bowsprit support lines along with the lower safety net that was a bit of a pain. On the port side the lower support did not get trimmed in our picture, we failed top notice this little detail but our big pictures pointed the finger at it, we have trimmed up the support line along with there lashings.
Regards Lawrence

IMG_6331.JPG

IMG_6332.JPG

Hello Ship Mates, Today the little fellows and I completed the building of our bowsprit support lines along with the lower safety net that was a bit of a pain. On the port side the lower support did not get trimmed in our picture, we failed top notice this little detail but our big pictures pointed the finger at it, we have trimmed up the support line along with there lashings.
Regards Lawrence

View attachment 371664

View attachment 371665
That is a real headache area, Lawrence. But you made it and it is it protrudes prominently.
Regards, Peter

Regards Lawrence

View attachment 371664

View attachment 371665
Those footropes, Lawrence...
For me this was cause for a lot of headaches ánd a rapidly filling swear jar.
Your work on the bowsprit pays off though; it's looking great.

Those footropes, Lawrence...
For me this was cause for a lot of headaches ánd a rapidly filling swear jar.
Your work on the bowsprit pays off though; it's looking great.
Hello Johan, Thanks for your very kind words and nice comments. Yes this area is piled with so very much small detail, we will now take a little break and start drawing up the sails so that my Admiral Bernadette can start to sew them up for us.
Regards Lawrence

we will now take a little break and start drawing up the sails so that my Admiral Bernadette can start to sew them up for us
Hey Lawrence, I think it might be worth your while to not only draw the sails, but to also check the proportions especially of both mainsail and the main gaffsail. When I drew up the sails, I couldn't help but think the proportions weren't right when comparing my plan with the Model Shipways drawings.
Currently these are my preliminary findings:
1) the main boom dimensions appears to be rather spot on.
2) the main gaff appears to be too long, around 20mm, 0,8".
3) this causes the angle of the upper edge of the main gaffsail to be shallow.
Right now I'll have to amend my sail plan and check whether correcting the main gaff results in an esthetically more pleasing gaff sail. Before trying to even touch the Admiral's sowing machine, I will first have the booms and gaffs in position, cut some paper sail, based on my sail plan, and check the fit of the dummy sails. Only once satisfied with the dry fit of the sail will I continue to produce a real set of sails.

Below the sketch of the sail plan, second draft.
Next will be to update the main gaff length and adjusting the main gaffsail.
B3FCF793-9EF0-4B57-8CA0-8BF4C9A4EDAE.jpeg

Hey Lawrence, I think it might be worth your while to not only draw the sails, but to also check the proportions especially of both mainsail and the main gaffsail. When I drew up the sails, I couldn't help but think the proportions weren't right when comparing my plan with the Model Shipways drawings.
Currently these are my preliminary findings:
1) the main boom dimensions appears to be rather spot on.
2) the main gaff appears to be too long, around 20mm, 0,8".
3) this causes the angle of the upper edge of the main gaffsail to be shallow.
Right now I'll have to amend my sail plan and check whether correcting the main gaff results in an esthetically more pleasing gaff sail. Before trying to even touch the Admiral's sowing machine, I will first have the booms and gaffs in position, cut some paper sail, based on my sail plan, and check the fit of the dummy sails. Only once satisfied with the dry fit of the sail will I continue to produce a real set of sails.

Below the sketch of the sail plan, second draft.
Next will be to update the main gaff length and adjusting the main gaffsail.
Dimensions:
Hello Johan, Thanks for the heads up on the Main Gaff over haul length. Looks like YQ has it a lot longer then it should be as I measure it at 9 3/4" on the YQ-Bluenose drawing where as it should be 8.5". An huge difference. But then again the Main Boom is just about dead on at 13.6" long. I believe that YQ- Bluenose did this to make the main sail look even huger than it really was, nice try.
Regards Lawrence
Overall Length: 143’- 0”
Beam (moulded): 27’- 0”
Waterline Length: 112’- 0”
Depth (main hatch): 11’-6”
Draught: 15’-10”
Displacement: 285 tons
Mainmast, above deck: 81’-0”
Fore Mast, above deck: 73’-0”
Main Top Mast: 53’-6”
Fore Top Mast: 48’-6”
Main Boom: 81’-0”
Main Gaff: 51’-0”
Fore Boom: 32’-6”
Fore Gaff: 32’-6”
Sail Area, including fisherman’s Stay Sail: 10,000 sq. ft.

Regards Lawrence

View attachment 371664

View attachment 371665
Good morning. You guys who are building this BN have some skills. Cheers.

Hi Lawrence, my friend. Congratulations on the completion of the bowsprit and footropes. I will be tagging along to follow the rest of the rigging and, then of course, the sails! The best of luck to you and Bernadette with that venture.

Hi Lawrence, my friend. Congratulations on the completion of the bowsprit and footropes. I will be tagging along to follow the rest of the rigging and, then of course, the sails! The best of luck to you and Bernadette with that venture.
Hello Heinrich, I thank you very much for your very kind words and overly nice comments. Yes we are both looking forward to the hanging of the sails, but I have so much out side work and yard work to catch up on leaving so very little time for the Old Ship Yard these days. But the end is in sight, seams that I am moving so slow these days doing the simplest of things. I should be finally caught up in another week or so.
Regards Lawrence

Hello Ship Mates, After a long summer vacation of witch my Admiral Bernadette and I spent a month up at the Bryers Lodge on the French River for much needed R & R., yard work and house hold chores, the little fellows and I have found a little time to return to the Old Ship Yard. We have tackled the Main Mast and all of it's fittings and are now looking forward to the Fore Mast with all of it's little challenges. . It is nice to be back.
Regards Lawrence

DSCN0044.JPG

DSCN0043.JPG

DSCN0041.JPG

DSCN0040.JPG

Hello Ship Mates, After a long summer vacation of witch my Admiral Bernadette and I spent a month up at the Bryers Lodge on the French River for much needed R & R., yard work and house hold chores, the little fellows and I have found a little time to return to the Old Ship Yard. We have tackled the Main Mast and all of it's fittings and are now looking forward to the Fore Mast with all of it's little challenges. . It is nice to be back.
Regards Lawrence

View attachment 393962

View attachment 393963

View attachment 393964

View attachment 393965
Good to see you back on the yard, Lawrence. The main mast is looking nice with the mast hoops and all te fittings on and around the mast head.
Regard, Peter

Regards Lawrence

View attachment 393962

View attachment 393963

View attachment 393964

View attachment 393965
Good to see the "Ole Shipyard" is up an running again.
If my eyes don't deceive me, I see a scratch build tresseltree and hardware.
Probably missed it, but are you now following the MS-plans?

Good to see the "Ole Shipyard" is up an running again.
If my eyes don't deceive me, I see a scratch build tresseltree and hardware.
Probably missed it, but are you now following the MS-plans?
Hello Johan, Thanks for the return welcome, Yes I do like to change things around to suit our selves. No I do not have the MS-Planes. I am using a combination of YQ Bluenose planes and even more so the book The American Fishing Schooner, that gives me a lot to choose from. Should have picked an easier set of plans but then again I like these ones.
Regards Lawrence

Back