New kit New Vasa kit from Artesania Latina

You can change the tip and use cutters like 3,00 or 3,175. I buy an extra hand drill and change the tip. Now I can use al my cutters I have.

Hey @Steef66
I bought them to but form 0.3mm to 3.47mm in a set of 5 pieces. They are great for Dremel items.
is not the same, the marathon nail drills can only hold cutters with a shaft of 2,35 mm. to make them also hold cutters of 3,0 mm. (CNC 3018) or 3,175 mm. (Proxxon/dremel standard) you need another tip in the handpiece. That's why I shared the link. I got this and it works perfect. There is only cautions about changing the tip, how to you can find on google, and there is a special tool to do it for. Also available on Ali

But for demel pieces I got a dremel and alot of extentions. The extention bits are for the flexible piece of the dremel for drill bits that dosn't fit (I showed you the pics earlier)

The mills and machine I bought, was on your advice and they work great together and sharp as a razor.
It was a 10 days delivery from China so I got them already.

Hi Mr deep, Yes that sure is a premium model it’s beautiful and I would love to make that kit. But along with a premium model comes a premium price, I think that with delivery and taxes it would cost about three times the amount of the AL one here in the U.K., not everyone can afford that so unless you’re totally dedicated the AL would be an acceptable alternative, it’s good to have a choice.

ken
Well said

Reactions: Ken
$469 is alot of money. But it's also a beautiful piece of artwork

Last week I ordered this little machine 20.000 to 35.000 RPM and almost noiseless. Made for nail polishing but also great for woodcarving.
View attachment 239448
And 2 boxes of tugson milling cutters. So I can make some ornaments myself.
View attachment 239450
I’ve got fungal toe nails could you book me in for a session next Tuesday, 3 hours should sort them out !

As I am in the middle of building the Vasa from DeAgostini I thought I would weigh in.

The DeAg Vasa is produced behind the scenes by Artesania. It would seem that their contract with DeAg has run its course and they are now offering the kit under their own label. From the video I would conclude that they are offering essentially the same kit/instructions etc. though modified slightly in format. They are charging a bit less than DeAgostini but it is still quite expensive ($900 ish).

I am not a 'premium' builder but I happen to agree with @Mr.Deep that the 'premium' stamp on the box cover might be misleading. This kit and its instructions place a priority on buildability over historical accuracy and detailing. I don't know if the wood provided with this kit is the same as that provided through DeAg but I have found it necessary to replace much of what is supplied. If you look at the images carefully you will notice that almost everything is painted. This hides the fact that the kit components are not intended for a traditional wooden presentation.

With that in mind this kit is very suitable for a beginning modeler who intends to build a painted ship. The castings are better than what could be carved by all but an expert carver and are a faithful (though simplified) reproduction of what is on the original ship.

As a beginning modeler myself I have appreciated the ‘buildability’ aspects and have accepted that to build what I have in my imagination will require upgrades to the kit components. This actually doesn’t really bother me - it is simply the cost of playing the game. Plus, by the time my build is done the cost per hour spent will be negligible. The joy this project has given me cannot have a price attached to it.
That is interesting information. You have motivated me to buy a Vasa model, but I wasn't sure which one. What is your opinion on the rigging diagrams for the one you are building, and in particular the sails? I would assume that the AL ones are the same.

That is interesting information. You have motivated me to buy a Vasa model, but I wasn't sure which one. What is your opinion on the rigging diagrams for the one you are building, and in particular the sails? I would assume that the AL ones are the same.
Hello Captain,

There are NO DRAWINGS at all supplied with the AL kit (unless something has changed - recall I purchased mine from DeAg but I can assure you it is the very same kit). The AL kit will come with a photo-rich build guide. Indeed there are hundreds of pages to the guide offered digitally as .pdf documents. You can see that build guide here: https://www.deagostini.com/us/assembly-guides/. Just click on the Vasa and you will see the twelve build stages presented there for downloading.

But there's more. There is an official build on the ModelSpace website and you can see a builder demonstrate every single step of the construction: https://forum.us.model-space.com/default.aspx?g=topics&f=540. The first nine stages of the official build are in the Official Build folder - the final three stages are in the Member's Build folder. Something happened and the builder was not permitted to post progress in the Official Build blog so he switched over to the Members page and completed the build.

I think it would be really important for you to carefully review these materials. I say this because if you are looking at my build it does not represent the kit build in many of the details. My build is my interpretation of the kit and has been modified.

Now, to answer your specific question. The kit does come with sails and if you are interested I could take a picture of them and post it for you. I would say they are the 'standard' sails provided with many kits. I think you would find them very usable depending on your goals. With regards to rigging - there are rigging instructions provided in the AL (DeAg) build guide but it is greatly simplified for buildability. You can see what that would look like by reviewing the Official Build or any of the other DeAg build logs (available on the ModelSpace forum as well as on MSW). But if you want to make the rigging more accurate I would refer you to the plans available digitally from the Vasa Museum (I could send those to you as well). The rigging instructions for the Billings Vasa are also much more accurate than those provided by AL. See the wonderful builds on this forum by @Daniel20 (https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/vasa-490-build-log-billing-boats-1-75.7366/) and @PeterG (https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/vasa-build-log-billing-boats-scale-1-75.3759/) though I'm guessing neither of them are following the Billings rigging plans blindly.

A final thought: the AL (DeAg) kit is designed in a way that helps a newer builder complete the model successfully. The instructions are written for someone with little experience. The kit builds into a VERY nice ship model. Noteworthy, however, is that the kit instructions call for most every wooden surface to be painted. If you don't want a painted hull (for example) you will either need to figure out how to turn the cheap wood strips provided into something that looks good or source aftermarket materials.

Sorry for this long post. I hope I have been helpful.

Hello Captain,

There are NO DRAWINGS at all supplied with the AL kit (unless something has changed - recall I purchased mine from DeAg but I can assure you it is the very same kit). The AL kit will come with a photo-rich build guide. Indeed there are hundreds of pages to the guide offered digitally as .pdf documents. You can see that build guide here: https://www.deagostini.com/us/assembly-guides/. Just click on the Vasa and you will see the twelve build stages presented there for downloading.

But there's more. There is an official build on the ModelSpace website and you can see a builder demonstrate every single step of the construction: https://forum.us.model-space.com/default.aspx?g=topics&f=540. The first nine stages of the official build are in the Official Build folder - the final three stages are in the Member's Build folder. Something happened and the builder was not permitted to post progress in the Official Build blog so he switched over to the Members page and completed the build.

I think it would be really important for you to carefully review these materials. I say this because if you are looking at my build it does not represent the kit build in many of the details. My build is my interpretation of the kit and has been modified.

Now, to answer your specific question. The kit does come with sails and if you are interested I could take a picture of them and post it for you. I would say they are the 'standard' sails provided with many kits. I think you would find them very usable depending on your goals. With regards to rigging - there are rigging instructions provided in the AL (DeAg) build guide but it is greatly simplified for buildability. You can see what that would look like by reviewing the Official Build or any of the other DeAg build logs (available on the ModelSpace forum as well as on MSW). But if you want to make the rigging more accurate I would refer you to the plans available digitally from the Vasa Museum (I could send those to you as well). The rigging instructions for the Billings Vasa are also much more accurate than those provided by AL. See the wonderful builds on this forum by @Daniel20 (https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/vasa-490-build-log-billing-boats-1-75.7366/) and @PeterG (https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/vasa-build-log-billing-boats-scale-1-75.3759/) though I'm guessing neither of them are following the Billings rigging plans blindly.

A final thought: the AL (DeAg) kit is designed in a way that helps a newer builder complete the model successfully. The instructions are written for someone with little experience. The kit builds into a VERY nice ship model. Noteworthy, however, is that the kit instructions call for most every wooden surface to be painted. If you don't want a painted hull (for example) you will either need to figure out how to turn the cheap wood strips provided into something that looks good or source aftermarket materials.

Sorry for this long post. I hope I have been helpful.
Thank you so much @dockattner. I appreciate the time you took to compose this message as well as adding the links. I will certainly review all this information and think through my next steps.

About the rigging plans from the museum, that would be great as long as it's not too much trouble.

Last edited:
Thank you so much @dockattner. I appreciate the time you took to compose this message as well as adding the links. I will certainly review all this information and think through my next steps.

About the rigging plans from the museum, that would be great as long as it's not too much trouble.
Related to the Vasa we are in the lucky situation, that @fred.hocker is one of our members and based on the experience he is very helpful to answer and clarify Vasa-related questions.
f.e. take a look at the building log of the Billing Boats Vasa by @Daniel20 with the discussions about sails etc.

Hi, I was very impressed with the model of the Vasa that you showed and would like to know more about the kit, ( or is it scratch built ) I assume that it is from ZHL but a search of their site only shows the carvings. I fall into your category of needing to tear off my hands when it comes to building excellence but I can always dream, do you know where I could find some information about it.
Thanks. Ken
I looked up the ZHL website 2/25/2023 and there is NK Vasa kit offered

Back