Nikitin San Bartolome 1584 A.D. (Kit #35)

Little bit of an update

We are still in the Florida weather mode, I can't spend any time outside working on the hull so I've been spending my indoor time working on bits and pieces.

1 of 3

The plan .

Study the instructions, start in the upper lefthand corner, assemble the pieces left to right, go to the middle left of the plan, work from the bottom to the top, carefully follow the glue/no glue symbols. Move to the middle right and follow the glue/assembly instructions.

Screenshot 2024-07-03 at 9.57.05 AM.jpeg

The finished assembly.

IMG_4387.jpeg
IMG_4388.jpeg

Pavels engineering was spot on. I did not need to make any adjustments, all parts were a nice snug fit.

Jan

Last edited:
Little bit of an update

We are still in the Florida weather mode, I can't spend any time outside working on the hull so I've been spending my indoor time working on bits and pieces.

1 of 3

The plan .

Study the instructions, start in the upper lefthand corner, assemble the pieces left to right, go to the middle left of the plan, work from the bottom to the top, carefully follow the glue/no glue symbols. Move to the middle right and follow the glue/assembly instructions.

View attachment 457126

The finished assembly.

View attachment 457127
View attachment 457128

Pavels engineering was spot on. I did not need to any adjustments, all parts were a nice snug fit.

Jan
Jan,
Looking great
I am working masts and crows nests as well. Will post an update soon. With the masts installed the ship really comes to life. And it’s true size is coming to realization. The captain said we are going to need higher ceilings.
Chris

Jan,
Looking great
I am working masts and crows nests as well. Will post an update soon. With the masts installed the ship really comes to life. And it’s true size is coming to realization. The captain said we are going to need higher ceilings.
Chris
I've not gotten to the masts yet. Those look like an interesting event. Hmm, going from square to round.
I've jjust about finished the third crows nest. Very pleased with the outcome on all three assemblies.
Jan

I've not gotten to the masts yet. Those look like an interesting event. Hmm, going from square to round.
I've jjust about finished the third crows nest. Very pleased with the outcome on all three assemblies.
Jan
Just be super careful when shaping the mast. You want to sneak up on the correct diameter constantly dry fit your masts into the deck. I have all 3of my masts fit before even shaping the main part of the mast. I have included some of progress of the foremast. Maybe useful.IMG_8453.jpegIMG_8452.jpegIMG_8451.jpegIMG_8735.jpegIMG_8734.jpegIMG_8733.jpegIMG_8450.jpeg

I meant to post this earlier when I posted the first crows nest assembly.

I had a bit of trouble aligning the base piece with the next section. I fiddled around enough to come up with a solution.

I placed the supports (Pieces X3 on flat X3) backwards in the slots of the base and they neatly aligned the next section,

The Base and Supports

IMG_4390.jpeg

The supports in the base (not glued )

IMG_4389.jpeg

The next section centered by using the supports.

IMG_4391.jpeg

And finally the overkill clamping/gluing process.

IMG_4393.jpeg
IMG_4392.jpeg

Jan

I had a bit of trouble aligning the base piece with the next section. I fiddled around enough to come up with a solution.

I placed the supports (Pieces X3 on flat X3) backwards in the slots of the base and they neatly aligned the next section,

The Base and Supports

View attachment 457277

View attachment 457278

View attachment 457280

View attachment 457281
View attachment 457282

Jan
No such thing as an excess of clamps Jan;)

The Base and Supports

View attachment 457277

View attachment 457278

View attachment 457280

View attachment 457281
View attachment 457282

Jan
It’s nice to see how a crows nest transferred into a big spider. Clamping is a art! You are a master, Jan.
Regards, Peter

No such thing as an excess of clamps Jan;)
True story
It’s nice to see how a crows nest transferred into a big spider. Clamping is a art! You are a master, Jan.
Regards, Peter
The clamps made that part look like a Lunar lander.

It’s great to have all of you looking in on my modest efforts. I’m patiently waiting for cooler temperatures so I can continue work on the hull. I need to trim, sand and edge the planking on the stern and finish shaping and cutting out the gun ports. As per the Admiral “you make an awful mess when you work on that THING”. So……..

Jan

Back