Nikitin San Bartolome 1584 A.D. (Kit #35)

Good morning Jan. This is such an amazing kit from Pavel. Not an easy one for sure. You are doing it justice. I think I should move up to Maine for a few weeks and get some of that lovely hot weather. We are having one of those Cape Storms (usual for this time of the year), plenty wind, rain (some flooding) and even snow in the Boland. Cheers Grant
Grant, why do you need to go to Maine? It’s better to come to Ukraine, to the Odessa region :D . Yesterday, before leaving for work, I put the thermometer in a sunny place.IMG_20240716_122848.jpg How much does it show? About 52 Celsius, right? It's 125 Fahrenheit. And pay attention to the time at the bottom of the photo - it was 12:28 at the time. A few hours later, my father looked at the thermometer and saw that it showed 56 degrees Celsius, that is, 132 Fahrenheit! I'm sure you'll warm up to your heart's content hereROTF. The main thing is not to overheat, because at this temperature the asphalt on the roads melts:oops::D

The yardarm saga continues:

7264361E-888B-4D0F-92C7-31C9236CE701.jpeg

I’ve managed to shape two out of three of the short yardarms and started the gluing process on the longer ones.

Each one is a sanding marathon. Remove the char, rough shape with 80 grit sandpaper, smooth with 220 grit and finally finish with 400 grit. Tough on an old guys big fumble fingers.

Jan

Grant, why do you need to go to Maine? It’s better to come to Ukraine, to the Odessa region :D . Yesterday, before leaving for work, I put the thermometer in a sunny place.View attachment 459618 How much does it show? About 52 Celsius, right? It's 125 Fahrenheit. And pay attention to the time at the bottom of the photo - it was 12:28 at the time. A few hours later, my father looked at the thermometer and saw that it showed 56 degrees Celsius, that is, 132 Fahrenheit! I'm sure you'll warm up to your heart's content hereROTF. The main thing is not to overheat, because at this temperature the asphalt on the roads melts:oops::D
Good morning Dave. As much of a sun seeker I am that is insane hoto_O. Cheers Grant

View attachment 459629

I’ve managed to shape two out of three of the short yardarms and started the gluing process on the longer ones.

Each one is a sanding marathon. Remove the char, rough shape with 80 grit sandpaper, smooth with 220 grit and finally finish with 400 grit. Tough on an old guys big fumble fingers.

Jan
Whew!…:D

View attachment 459629

Jan
I am just at the stage of the masts and yardarms, so am wondering if you have shaped them by hand, or used a lathe? I don't have a lathe, so I am open for any tricks or thoughts you have from experience for the best way to shape these. Thanks, and I continue to enjoy watching your progress!

I am just at the stage of the masts and yardarms, so am wondering if you have shaped them by hand, or used a lathe? I don't have a lathe, so I am open for any tricks or thoughts you have from experience for the best way to shape these. Thanks, and I continue to enjoy watching your progress!
Hi, I was just out on our porch working on the yardarms. Had to give up and come inside. Temperature is up to 88F/31C.

To answer your question I started with the yardarms, figuring I could develop some sort of method before starting on the masts. I don’t have a lathe either. My method has been to use 80 grit sandpaper, then 220 and finish up with 400. It takes a bit of time but I think I can live with my results.

26FB6A24-13D9-4006-9E91-316D9AAB125E.jpeg

The yardarms need a little tweaking, but that is minor chore. The piece on the bottom is the bowsprit. I need to shape the insert part on that. I used a 3 inch mini plane to rough shape the top portion before the sanding marathon. I didn’t use the plane on the yardarms because of their odd shape.

Jan

Hi, I was just out on our porch working on the yardarms. Had to give up and come inside. Temperature is up to 88F/31C.

To answer your question I started with the yardarms, figuring I could develop some sort of method before starting on the masts. I don’t have a lathe either. My method has been to use 80 grit sandpaper, then 220 and finish up with 400. It takes a bit of time but I think I can live with my results.

View attachment 459907

The yardarms need a little tweaking, but that is minor chore. The piece on the bottom is the bowsprit. I need to shape the insert part on that. I used a 3 inch mini plane to rough shape the top portion before the sanding marathon. I didn’t use the plane on the yardarms because of their odd shape.

Jan
Thanks for the quick reply. A bit nervous about this step, but fingers crossed!

Back