NORSKE LOVE - Billing Boats 1:75 scale

Love it Dean! Here I am passing under the Corvette Bridge at Road America:

View attachment 276138

And soon to be passed by a Z06 (if memory serves he was the only guy to pass me that day - lighting on the straights - a dog in the turns):

View attachment 276137
That’s Awesome Paul! The only good track near me used to be Texas World Speedway, but they closed it! :( I used to take my Grandsport out there. Look out for the new C8, a very fast car! ;)

Last edited:
Extraordinary job Dean !!!

On the following months I will start to disassemble my Slot Car track and box all my car collection. We plan to move on 2023 to our house in FL. Retirement time is arriving. But as you wrote on the follow thread....... "Half of the fun is to build it all" ...... again.... in my case :)

Post in thread 'track layout' https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/track-layout.7393/post-167741

Cheers
Daniel
Thank you Daniel…love your track! ;)

Back to the ship! I started on the stern section that has to be completed prior to planking the hull. A interesting area that has to be faired.

Here is the plans…
040FEB6E-23BF-44C2-8E70-F7750DB0B73D.jpeg7AC5D0AC-380A-4300-B15D-71A10A0BA684.jpeg

The only clue you get that the galley base needs to be curved, is the view showing to bend it over a board…lol.

Here it is with the support and gussets added…
A14ED5A7-2332-4CDC-BBF1-05BD502FEE7A.jpeg

Next I have to fair them to match the curve of the galley windows…
D7B1CEB5-9F4F-4EA5-B136-31CF5F13657D.jpeg

Then I have to soak and bend the galley base to match that curve…
3FA4CDF5-E83C-4D1B-984F-10F6F9B04095.jpeg

So that’s my next steps, then I can plank the horizontal boards below it and finally get started on the hull planking. After which I can finish with the galley base, which has more boards added and shaped…
B7572D03-4A1D-45A6-9E5E-6A33481307F0.jpeg

Last edited:
And for the Formula 1 fans… my vintage collection…
View attachment 276148View attachment 276149View attachment 276150

I have about 70 cars, not going to show all of them…lol…getting side tracked on my build log! ;)
But I have them categorized by F1, Trans Am, Can Am, Endurance, LeMans and then by car… Corvettes, Porsches, Ferrari’s and Ford GT40s.
I love watching Jim Pace race his vintage Mclaren around the track on YouTube. Put my earbuds in and turn up the sound is about as close as I'll ever get to the real thing.

Back to the ship! I started on the stern section that has to be completed prior to planking the hull. A interesting area that has to be faired.

Here is the plans…
View attachment 276153View attachment 276154

The only clue you need to bend the galley base, is the view showing to bend it over a board…lol.

Here it is with the support and gussets added…
View attachment 276155

Next I have to fair them to match the curve of the galley windows…
View attachment 276156

Then I have to soak and bend the galley base to match that curve…
View attachment 276158

So that’s my next steps, then I can plank the horizontal boards below it and finally get started on the hull planking. After which I can finish with the galley base, which has more boards added and shaped…
View attachment 276162
Nice to see the building of the stern, Dean. And what the plans shows and the steps you have in mind. Taking into account the different stages. But that is your usual approuch.
Regards, Peter

Love it Dean! Here I am passing under the Corvette Bridge at Road America:

View attachment 276138

And soon to be passed by a Z06 (if memory serves he was the only guy to pass me that day - lighting on the straights - a dog in the turns):

View attachment 276137
Saying a Corvette is a dog in the corners is a gross exaggeration…lol… it is capable of 1.2 lateral Gs, which is impressive! A Porsche can’t exceed that by much, if any, but does have an advantage in corner speeds due to less weight typically. ;)
Of course all this is vehicle model and year dependent.

The Corvette is in good company as far as track performance goes…
B5DA56C5-4FFD-4A0B-A1E5-8158B82AF1BF.jpeg

Last edited:
Saying a Corvette is a dog in the corners is a gross exaggeration…lol… it is capable of 1.2 lateral Gs, which is impressive! A Porsche can’t exceed that by a lot, but does have an advantage in corner speeds due to less weight typically. ;)
My Porsche is a mid-engine so the cornering capacity for a street car (well, a modified street car) is pretty impressive. Plus my brake upgrades outperform almost everyone on the track. It's straight line speed can't compete with the big boys I run against but it is sporty. The more turns the better for me. Road America has one long straight and one long sweeping straight and they gobble me up there but I can be 300 yards behind entering any combination and I'll be on their rear on exit. There is a second gear track not far from Road America and I rule that course (actually Mini's run well there too).

Nice to see the building of the stern, Dean. And what the plans shows and the steps you have in mind. Taking into account the different stages. But that is your usual approuch.
Regards, Peter
Thank you Peter, it’s actually a challenging area. There is curved pieces that have to be profiled in addition to being bent, and there will be a compound curve in the galley wall with windows. It is curved in the end view, which the base and all pieces that go on the base have to match, and the galley wall with windows is curved in the top view to match the radius on the base. ;)
So a methodical approach has to be taken obviously. ;)

My Porsche is a mid-engine so the cornering capacity for a street car (well, a modified street car) is pretty impressive. Plus my brake upgrades outperform almost everyone on the track. It's straight line speed can't compete with the big boys I run against but it is sporty. The more turns the better for me. Road America has one long straight and one long sweeping straight and they gobble me up there but I can be 300 yards behind entering any combination and I'll be on their rear on exit. There is a second gear track not far from Road America and I rule that course (actually Mini's run well there too).
I understand completely! The tight tracks favor higher cornering speeds and the larger tracks allow horsepower to become an advantage.
The new C8 Corvette is mid engine and has track or race car equivalent brakes! It will be a game changer. But I have much respect for Porsches! I have just always been a Corvette fan. To me it’s a bang for buck car, which has a lot of performance for the price. However over the years they have become more and more expensive! The ZR1 and the new C8 are approaching exotic car prices! :(

Next I sanded the two pieces that make up the bottom of the galley where it meets the hull.
I made the lower piece a little smaller around the perimeter and added a 45 degree bevel.
3B6BA1FC-712D-4F59-AC6D-B4AEDB008E94.jpeg

That done, I filed the top of the gussets it sits on to achieve the same radius as the galley wall above it. Here is the wall for reference and I used it to test fit.

2F25D33B-228A-4A3D-A9C3-2E8D750B148D.jpeg

Then I soaked the lower board and glued and clamped into place. Prior I added a small length of board that is where the first plank will run, that way I ensure a tight fit with no gaps.
D6188353-4046-4053-9347-1E0A18A0615F.jpeg7C065109-32A2-4234-B476-EC2C7ED71C97.jpeg

Later this evening, once the glue dries, I will add the upper board. ;)

Next I sanded the two pieces that make up the bottom of the galley where it meets the hull.
I made the lower piece a little smaller around the perimeter and added a 45 degree bevel.
View attachment 276279

That done, I filed the top of the gussets it sits on to achieve the same radius as the galley wall above it. Here is the wall for reference and I used it to test fit.

View attachment 276280

Then I soaked the lower board and glued and clamped into place. Prior I added a small length of board that is where the first plank will run, that way I ensure a tight fit with no gaps.
View attachment 276281View attachment 276282

Later this evening, once the glue dries, I will add the upper board. ;)
It is interesting to see, below the "porch" the "faired +/-" frames of the hull and the curvature/fit of the strakes to follow. Neat and clean work as always! Rich

Back