NORSKE LOVE - Billing Boats 1:75 scale

Din62, I was talking about just such a stern on a 74 cannon. The bending of the planks in the stern is smooth, without a steep bend of almost 90 degrees. If this ship has such a stern.View attachment 279615
Yes, it is similar. If you look, you will see my first few boards have a smaller radius, but it is quickly transitioning into larger curves as I add new planks. So it will transition from a square tuck into a round tuck. So it starts with a sharp corner or small radius and transitions into larger more gradual radii. Once I add more planks you will see this transition that has already started. Due to the location of the frame and the square tuck above, it would be very difficult, and in my opinion also not visually pleasing, to go from a square tuck into a round tuck without a transition. I hope that makes sense! ;)
And thanks again for your input! It is always appreciated!
And if you look at your picture, even though it is a larger radius, the first board is almost bent to 90 degrees. Note the board with the eye the rope is going through!
And as you add planks the angle gets steeper and the bend angles are less. It may not be obvious at first glance, but when planking it, it will become very obvious when you are doing the work.
5329A31D-5326-40E8-8B5C-8B05D6A52C62.jpeg

My stern…
BF5861B1-12E6-4F3C-A56F-C590E7B0EBBA.jpeg

Notice the size of the radius after only 4 planks!
It is quickly transitioning into a large radius. ;)

Last edited:
One final note, the size of the radius on the bend doesn’t change the bend angle. It is what it is. ;)
However the size of the radius, relative to the angle of the bend, determines how difficult it is to make the bend!
Here is a pic that shows the angle change as you move downward. Keep in mind this frame is not fully beveled yet.
So the first couple of bends are the most extreme, and they get easier with each subsequent plank! ;)7FE0B5CA-0461-4631-8C9C-FE1F8D365DC2.jpeg

Last edited:
One final note, the size of the radius on the bend doesn’t change the bend angle. It is what it is. ;)
However the size of the radius, relative to the angle of the bend, determines how difficult it is to make the bend!
Here is a pic that shows the angle change as you move downward. Keep in mind this frame is not fully beveled yet.
So the first couple of bends are the most extreme, and they get easier with each subsequent plank! ;)
The reason, I asked in an earlier post what type of stern she had, I think you would need feeling pieces, something like the image below to avoid an almost 90 degrees plank bend.

1640994098752.png

This is from the Belle Poule kit from Sail and Sail Model, those pieces are made from resin, but you can make them from wood for sure...

The reason, I asked in an earlier post what type of stern she had, I think you would need feeling pieces, something like the image below to avoid an almost 90 degrees plank bend.

View attachment 279653

This is from the Belle Poule kit from Sail and Sail Model, those pieces are made from resin, but you can make them from wood for sure...
Correct, however the piece they give you, to attach the planks to, has a flatter profile than that.
Between that and the location of the last frame, that is what you have to work with to make the transom area. I can make it look good, and that’s what counts! ;)

Dean62, good afternoon. At the round stern, the planking slats should bend smoothly at the stern without creases. For the best result, it is really better to fill in the space under the right rail and draw out the contours. And then lay the slats.7FE0B5CA-0461-4631-8C9C-FE1F8D365DC2.jpeg
Such a crease of the rail as in a place surrounded by a circle should not be
BF5861B1-12E6-4F3C-A56F-C590E7B0EBBA.jpeg
Jimski correctly asked what stern this ship is. And the drawings are correct, the boards should fit smoothly in the stern. Yes, there is a complex bend both along the plane and also on the edge. But there should be no creases on the plane.

Dean62, good afternoon. At the round stern, the planking slats should bend smoothly at the stern without creases. For the best result, it is really better to fill in the space under the right rail and draw out the contours. And then lay the slats.View attachment 279782
Such a crease of the rail as in a place surrounded by a circle should not be
View attachment 279783
Jimski correctly asked what stern this ship is. And the drawings are correct, the boards should fit smoothly in the stern. Yes, there is a complex bend both along the plane and also on the edge. But there should be no creases on the plane.
In the upper picture, I am simply holding two different planks to show the angle…it is not one plank. And the frame is not fully beveled yet.
On the lower pic, those planks you circled have a radius in them, there is no sharp corner or crease! Are you thinking the shadow is a crease? I don’t understand? Perhaps I need to take a picture from a different angle? I can sand the radius larger, but have to be careful not to sand through the plank! But I don’t feel that is necessary.

Last edited:
In conclusion, I think there is nothing that dictates the size radius to be used on the bends. I think as long as the hull shape is correct, the size of the bends is not that important. I can’t imagine they could control this with any degree of accuracy in the 17th century! And my stern has bends with a radius. So I’m still unclear what is wrong with it? Because the radius is not large enough? As I said it will become increasingly larger as planks are added lower. So I am fine with what I have, and will move forward. ;)

Last edited:
In conclusion, I think there is nothing that dictates the size radius to be used on the bends. I think as long as the hull shape is correct, the size of the bends is not that important. I can’t imagine they could control this with any degree of accuracy in the 17th century! And my stern has bends with a radius. So I’m still unclear what is wrong with it? Because the radius is not large enough? As I said it will become increasingly larger as planks are added lower. So I am fine with what I have, and will move forward. ;)
This conversation may be viewed by an sideliner as two perspectives and modeling goals where I believe the actual answer lies in the eye and mind of the model maker which may be taken as "we agree to disagree" and accept the artistic license of the builder . . . . unless pure authenticity is the goal. Just a thought. Rich

This conversation may be viewed by an sideliner as two perspectives and modeling goals where I believe the actual answer lies in the eye and mind of the model maker which may be taken as "we agree to disagree" and accept the artistic license of the builder . . . . unless pure authenticity is the goal. Just a thought. Rich
Rich, this is exactly the case! I prefer a gradual transition from a square tuck to a round tuck, with the radius getting larger as the planks move down. To me, this transition is more natural and pleasing to my eye, regardless of historical accuracy! ;)

Due to the conversation about the stern tuck, rather than switch to the port side, I added a few more planks to the starboard side to show the change in radius as the planks progress.
Here is an overall pic…
1A033606-77D8-4F33-84EB-B8E3212F136B.jpeg

If you look at the bottom plank, the radius has become very large at this point. I am going to stop on this side and start on the port side! ;)

Ps - It still needs a final sanding. And this NL is one big beast to plank! I feel like I’m never going to finish! :p

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with that Dean. Comparing your stern (ok that of your NL ROTF) - to the of the pic of the Prinz Friedrich, the fact that some of the planks on the latter have already been painted black, may create a "confusing" line to the eye. If you disregard the black-painted portion and look at how the whole plank bends, everything gels.

Nothing wrong with that Dean. Comparing your stern (ok that of your NL ROTF) - to the of the pic of the Prinz Friedrich, the fact that some of the planks on the latter have already been painted black, may create a "confusing" line to the eye. If you disregard the black-painted portion and look at how the whole plank bends, everything gels.
Lol…first of all, my ship stern will never truly compare to what Karl accomplished … ;)
That said, he is considered a master ship builder and carver, and the Prinz Friderich was scratch built from plans. And the Norske Love and Prinz Friderich were 2 of the 3 sisters ships designed by the same person.
Therefore that is as close of a reference to what my ship should look like, than any other ship out there. And if Karl decided to do the bends at the stern that way, without a large radius, then that’s good enough for me! ;)

Lol…first of all, my ship stern will never truly compare to what Karl accomplished … ;)
That said, he is considered a master ship builder and carver, and the Prinz Friderich was scratch built from plans. And the Norske Love and Prinz Friderich were 2 of the 3 sisters ships designed by the same person.
Therefore that is as close of a reference to what my ship should look like, than any other ship out there. And if Karl decided to do the bends at the stern that way, without a large radius, then that’s good enough for me! ;)
Basically what Rich wrote; if you're not aiming at building your ship fully authentic, which, in my opinion, is impossible to achieve, than all is permitted in love, war and modeling, as long as you are satisfied by the results and, in your case, as long as the Lion sleeps...
Whichever way one leans, your planking job is still something else! :D

Back