NORSKE LOVE - Billing Boats 1:75 scale

Basically what Rich wrote; if you're not aiming at building your ship fully authentic, which, in my opinion, is impossible to achieve, than all is permitted in love, war and modeling, as long as you are satisfied by the results and, in your case, as long as the Lion sleeps...
Whichever way one leans, your planking job is still something else! :D
Thank you Johan. I am happy with how it is taking shape so far. ;)

Are you going to carve the stern Dean?
I plan to carve a lot, not sure if I will replace everything, will see when I cross that bridge! ;)
There are things they do not provide, and things that are sub par, those I will definitely carve. Some of the other things are questionable. So if I don’t like anything, I will just carve it myself. However this could become very time consuming…lol ;)

I plan to carve a lot, not sure if I will replace everything, will see when I cross that bridge! ;)
There are things they do not provide, and things that are sub par, those I will definitely carve. Some of the other things are questionable. So if I don’t like anything, I will just carve it myself. However this could become very time consuming…lol ;)
Yes it will be, It would be great! you ain‘t on a deadline are you? :eek::p

Due to the conversation about the stern tuck, rather than switch to the port side, I added a few more planks to the starboard side to show the change in radius as the planks progress.
Here is an overall pic…
View attachment 279867

If you look at the bottom plank, the radius has become very large at this point. I am going to stop on this side and start on the port side! ;)

Ps - It still needs a final sanding. And this NL is one big beast to plank! I feel like I’m never going to finish! :p
The transitions with their gradient angle look nice and smooth. The planks also fit very nicely. I am impressed, Dean.
Regards, Peter

Let’s keep it to: Different angles gives different points of view!
Most important: you are in charge, Captain.
This whole thing reminds me of something a famous musician once said about music theory. He said when composing music, if it sounds right, it’s right! Meaning…use your ears, you’ll know if it’s wrong! And if it sounds good to the ear, what difference does it make if it doesn’t follow theory?
And in this case, if it looks good, it’s correct! So I am using my eyes to tell me if it is right, not any theory or historical references. As an artist I trust my eyes the most, as a musician it’s my ears. Beyond that, why add constraints that eliminate options or stifle creativity?
Clearly I’m not willing to be constrained by historical accuracy of old ships, that is at best an educated guess.
And that folks, is why I can be stubborn…lol. Because I don’t ever think there is only one way to do something. And I don’t believe if you don’t do something one specific way, then it’s wrong.
How you get to your final destination is up to you. You decide if you take the long way, the short way, the easy way, the hard way, etc.
And I don’t think offering advice or tips is ever a bad thing. I just think saying something is not correct, should be followed by this statement… if you want to follow historical examples or theory! ;)

In conclusion, I’ve said this before…but, I seem to have to keep saying it every time I start a new build log. So this should be my disclaimer on page 1 of all my build logs:

I don’t build ships for museums, or to sell, this is merely a hobby to me. Therefore, even though I consider historical facts and theories that surround these ships, I have no problem using artistic license to make something that “I“ find pleasing! And I refuse to be a slave to such things as historical accuracy, and chose the freedom to build my ship any way I want. This doesn’t make it wrong, it makes it mine. And I don’t want mine to look like yours or anyone else’s, because I deem that boring! And if something bores me, I stop doing it! ;)
So let’s don’t make clones, let’s make individual models, that are a reflection of us. Happy modeling to all!

Last edited:
Hello Dean. I haven’t been around some. Man that was an interesting read. So good to have guys with something different to add and to get us to look at our build from another perspective.

From my side- your planking looks outstanding and I share your philosophy to building these little wooden ships. You are owning this build and your Lion is roaring. Was really good to catch up with you.

Cheers
Grant

This whole thing reminds me of something a famous musician once said about music theory. He said when composing music, if it sounds right, it’s right! Meaning…use your ears, you’ll know if it’s wrong! And if it sounds good to the ear, what difference does it make if it doesn’t follow theory?
And in this case, if it looks good, it’s correct! So I am using my eyes to tell me if it is right, not any theory or historical references. As an artist I trust my eyes the most, as a musician it’s my ears. Beyond that, why add constraints that eliminate options or stifle creativity?
Clearly I’m not willing to be constrained by historical accuracy of old ships, that is at best an educated guess.
And that folks, is why I can be stubborn…lol. Because I don’t ever think there is only way to do something. And I don’t believe if you don’t do something one specific way, then it’s wrong.
How you get to your final destination is up to you. You decide if you take the long way, the short way, the easy way, the hard way, etc.
And I don’t think offering advice or tips is ever a bad thing. I just think saying something is not correct, should be followed by this statement… if you want to follow historical examples or theory! ;)

In conclusion, I’ve said this before…but, I seem to have to keep saying it every time I start a new build log. So this should be my disclaimer on page 1 of all my build logs:

I don’t build ships for museums, or to sell, this is merely a hobby to me. Therefore, even though I consider historical facts and theories that surround these ships, I have no problem using artistic license to make something that “I“ find pleasing! And I refuse to be a slave to such things as historical accuracy, and chose the freedom to build my ship any way I want. This doesn’t make it wrong, it makes it mine. And I don’t want mine to look like yours or anyone else’s, because I deem that boring! And if something bores me, I stop doing it! ;)
So let’s don’t make clones, let’s make individual models, that are a reflection of us. Happy modeling to all!
Amen to that! :)
I'm 100% on your side on this one!

Hello Mon Ami. Although 'Museum Quality' is a vague concept, if it is a concept at all, so building for Museums doesn't necessarily a requirement for authenticity and quality for the model in question. But that is the discussion for another thread I have posted last year ;)

Historical accuracy might be vague as well. It will highly depend on the actual ship and the amount of reference material you can find. But then, another question: should I trust those resources to begin with?

Modelers should build models as per their abilities and standards. Personally, I have no problem making a close match to someone's model, if that model will shy in my eyes. Also, it shouldn't be a matter who you are building this model for, you are building as per your own standard, or as I say - Acceptance level.

I have no problems making individual models. But even from the same kit, you will not be able to build clones. Building models required some discipline following drafts\plans. Otherwise, why would we need those drafts?

And that folks, is why I can be stubborn…lol. Because I don’t ever think there is only way to do something. And I don’t believe if you don’t do something one specific way, then it’s wrong.

I think theory, for whatever field you might want to consider, is nothing more than trying to explain and describe what first was a dream, an idea in the mind of an artist or a creative thinker. So theory is nothing more or nothing less than an effort to cast the elusive creativity (or chaos) into tangible, understandable words and formulas. Look at the old shipwrights; no drawings, no infinite stress analysis or methods, yet look at the results; ships, still able to impress us, modern men.
And on how things should be done? We don't really know, at best it's an educated guess.
Whatever we build or otherwise, it's our personal interpretation of how things could have looked or could have sounded and any theory is just an aid, not a goal in itself.

Thanks everyone for all the input. I will say once again that I do take into consideration how ships were built, but I also allow myself some breathing room, where I am ok with taking liberties. Look at the walls, we all know the ship wasn’t built that way…lol. But everyone agreed it looked great. So I decided to use artistic license. And no one had a problem with that, as far as I know. So…if I transition from a square tuck into a round tuck, as long as it is a smooth transition, does it really matter if that is not exactly how it was done? And who knows for sure? Does anyone have any actual pictures of the NL. Or an authentic planking layout? No…I didn’t think so.
So I am not sure why I am suddenly being told something I did was wrong, because it was done a little different than on another example ship, that was built by another country and a different ship designer in a different shipyard! So I say this proves nothing about the ship I’m building.
And if I had a sharp edge or crease, I would agree that is not a round tuck. But that is not the case! Every board starting with the first board on the round tuck has a continuous radius. So I feel it is done correctly. The lower hull will be white from the water line down, and there is a band of black above that to the lower wales.
See example…6CA865A3-FFF1-4485-AF04-A0BD4D1CCF85.jpeg

Since those curves will eventually be black, I painted them to help show there is a consistent radius with no edge or crease. Perhaps the light wood and shadows made it seem that way?
Hopefully this will make it clear what geometry exists in the bends. Or perhaps only once the ship is painted will be truly obvious?AC2F9EB6-7FDE-4F1E-8A3A-0A25FE6448C5.jpeg6FFDA1A3-6654-430B-ADCD-F962118AB157.jpeg

Hello Mon Ami. Although 'Museum Quality' is a vague concept, if it is a concept at all, so building for Museums doesn't necessarily a requirement for authenticity and quality for the model in question. But that is the discussion for another thread I have posted last year ;)

Historical accuracy might be vague as well. It will highly depend on the actual ship and the amount of reference material you can find. But then, another question: should I trust those resources to begin with?

Modelers should build models as per their abilities and standards. Personally, I have no problem making a close match to someone's model, if that model will shy in my eyes. Also, it shouldn't be a matter who you are building this model for, you are building as per your own standard, or as I say - Acceptance level.

I have no problems making individual models. But even from the same kit, you will not be able to build clones. Building models required some discipline following drafts\plans. Otherwise, why would we need those drafts?
I think the point is, because I am building the ship for me, it’s up to me how historically correct or accurate I chose to be. Some people go to great lengths to try to achieve this. For me it takes the fun out of building a ship. My only concern is that the craftsmanship is good and the choices I make are tasteful. If so, the end result will always be nice! Something I can be happy to display. So I really don’t like getting into debates over how something was done historically. I honestly don’t care about that as much as what I am doing is in good taste, and the craftsmanship is good. Half the fun for me is determining the scheme I want to use. I don’t feel obligated to use the original paint scheme unless I like it. But I usually change something about it and personalize it. Because it allows me to be creative as an artist. I don’t want to suppress that. Which is why I am glad I started carving. This allows me more artistic creativity. So I don’t want to get caught up in the debates that attempt to dictate color scheme or the ways things were done. That to me is limiting. There are people who have fun doing research and implementing the historical aspects, that is what they enjoy. I don’t enjoy that, I enjoy building and creating! ;)

Last edited:
I think the point is, because I am building the ship for me, it’s up to me how historically correct or accurate I chose to be. Some people go to great lengths to try to achieve this. For me it takes the fun out of building a ship. My only concern is that the craftsmanship is good and the choices I make are tasteful. If so, the end result will always be nice! Something I can be happy to display. So I really loathe getting into debates over how something was done historically on my ship. I honestly don’t care. As long as what I am doing is in good taste, and the craftsmanship is good, what else matters? Half the fun for me is determining the scheme I want to use. I don’t feel obligated to use the original paint scheme unless I like it. But I usually change something about it and personalize it. Because it allows me to be creative as an artist. I don’t want to suppress that. Which is why I am glad I started carving. This allows me more artistic creativity. So I don’t want to get caught up in the debates that attempt to dictate color scheme or the ways things were done. That to me is limiting. To those who have fun doing research and implementing the historical aspects, that is what they enjoy. I don’t enjoy that, I enjoy building and creating! ;)
You're on to the heart of the matter. We all have our own goals for the models we build. Some are meticulously studying their subject, wanting to know and understand all they can about the model they're about to build.
Others strive for historically accurate, or are driven by a desire to pay tribute to the old shipwrights and their ships.
Then there are those who want to get out of their comfort zone and expand their capabilities. There are also the artists among us, taking their hobby to an entirely new level of creativity and craftsmanship, plus probably another million of reasons to undertake a modeling adventure.
The beauty of it all is that there's no right or wrong, the only thing which counts is whether or not you are satisfied with the results of your hours of labor, problem solving, performing monotonous jobs, endlessly repeating the same task over and over again, admitting to failure. And maybe your Admiral's blessing. ;)

Hi Dean - I've been admiring your wood working skills throughout your build and must say the run of timbers you have have executed here at the stern look to me as being as fair as you could get. As to historical accuracy my attitude is "Your build your call". Looking forward to seeing the final paint scheme sounds great. Cheers Pete

Hi Dean - I've been admiring your wood working skills throughout your build and must say the run of timbers you have have executed here at the stern look to me as being as fair as you could get. As to historical accuracy my attitude is "Your build your call". Looking forward to seeing the final paint scheme sounds great. Cheers Pete
Thank you very much Pete!
I know everyone is just trying to be helpful, with regard to comments and examples. However I felt my choices were driven by the geometry I had to work with in the kit, and I feel my approach is sound and the results satisfactory.
So after that, I don’t think much else matters. ;)
And as far as historical accuracy, I’m not convinced it was done any different. In fact I’m not sure there is documentation to show one way or another. So what happens, is people make assumptions by looking at similar design ships. But history has shown that each designer and shipwright did things different and often it wasn’t well documented. Especially the hull planking. So who knows what the real ship stern hull planking looked like. I would love to see pictures. But when I don’t have pictures or proper documentation, I resort to artistic license.
Anyway, I have taken the week off from building, but hope to get back to planking the hull soon. There is so much of it, it requires a few breaks! :p

Ps - I currently have 32 rows of planks, and there is 72 total. So I’m almost at the halfway point!

Last edited:
Back