Cala Esmeralda 1:58 by Occre [COMPLETED BUILD]

I did not document how I made my ropewalk (I never think that far ahead). The one in the video is actually rev-2.0. I have since made rev-3.0 with its own motor so I don’t have to use a drill. I’ll try and cobble together some sketches and parts list.
For the rope sizes I use several excel spreadsheets that I have found online at various sources. Since they were available I believe they are not proprietary so I have uploaded them here. Use at your own risk.
Wow! That's great information. I'll need to study this a bit and learn to relate it to my model but it should work no problem.All three sheets are teriffic. Thanks very much for the info. Pete.
This will come in handy when I do the Great Republic I've been talking about for twenty years.

Last edited:
Having sailed on sailboats with this wheel configuration, I know the helmsman (I guess the appropriate term would be helmsperson…) faces the bow and stands next to the wheel usually on the opposite side that the boom is on So they can see past the sail.
That makes a lot more sense than what I was thinking. I keep referring back to your 'parachute' remark. That makes sense too. Ha!
Another question if I may, what do you dye your rope with?

That makes a lot more sense than what I was thinking. I keep referring back to your 'parachute' remark. That makes sense too. Ha!
Another question if I may, what do you dye your rope with?
I use primarily cotton thread (DNC cordonnet) so I use Rit Fabric Dye for cotton. I don’t use the whole bottle at one time as I make ropes and dye as needed.
in a 1 quart arm pot on the stove:
24 oz hot water (150°-170° F)
1 tablespoon drown dye
2 tablespoon salt
2 drops dawn dish soap
let the thread or made up rope soak for at least 15 minutes.
I’m sure you can make more or less as you wish. This just works for me.
If you use polyester I know there is a Rit dye for poly but I haven’t used any.

I have some beige rope from Zolly and it is cotton so your formula will work for me too. I want to make black standing rigging rope for the rat lines and mast shrouds so I'll give this a try Thanks again for all your help and best of times with your build. Good looking boat. Pete

I have some beige rope from Zolly and it is cotton so your formula will work for me too. I want to make black standing rigging rope for the rat lines and mast shrouds so I'll give this a try Thanks again for all your help and best of times with your build. Good looking boat. Pete
here is how I made my ropewalk.
I used 1/4” (6mm) hard board for the gearbox and various pieces of plywood, wood, nuts & bolts, etc.I had laying around.
here is a list of the parts I ordered through Amazon. You should be able to paste these description into the Amazon search bar If the links don’t work.

Eowpower 4Pcs Stainless Steel 6mm x 200mm Round Rod Turning Lathe Bars Tool (cut to length and drill hole for paper clip hook)

696ZZ 6mm x 15mm x 5mm High Speed Double Shield Deep Groove Miniature Ball Bearing (20pcs) (12 needed)

Bstinay 2 Pcs 45 Steel 15-Tooth Pinion Gear 6mm Hole Diameter Modulus 1 for Replacement (4 pieces needed)

CNBTR 30 Motor Metal Gear Wheel 6mm Hole Diameter Modulus 1 Steel Gear Pack of 2 (only one needed)

Greartisan DC 24V 800RPM Gear Motor High Torque Electric Micro Speed Reduction Geared Motor Eccentric Output Shaft 37mm Diameter Gearbox

Greartisan DC 24V 800RPM Gear Motor High Torque Electric Micro Speed Reduction Geared Motor Eccentric Output Shaft 37mm Diameter Gearbox

RioRand 6V 12V 24V 28V 3A 80W DC Motor Speed Controller PWM Speed Adjustable Reversible Switch 1203BB DC Motor Driver Reversing

ALITOVE 24V Power Supply 4A 96W AC/DC Adapter 100-240V AC to DC 24 Volt Converter 4amp 3.75A 3.5A 3.3A 3.2A Transformer 5.5x2.5mm for LED Strip CCTV Camera LCD Monitor Massage Chair

Black 37mm DC Gear Motors Mounting Bracket, Iron Anti-Rust Gearbox L-Shape Fixed Seat, Gear Reduction Motor Holder

Here are some pictures of the components.

9D2A7D2F-2710-49A1-9518-65E91B0906AF.jpegD4ACC7D7-FFA3-4C9A-BDA5-FC5BF5492F41.jpeg9816EC34-1CB3-4065-A5A6-BF33549DC584.jpeg19B857C4-1DB6-42F1-8FBC-1EA125D782AE.jpeg5C26F580-69FD-490B-9A88-461667A87A3B.jpegDCD0AFDB-CDB0-418E-B705-1BEDB92A0EDA.jpeg89B8B88A-0739-464D-9EAE-3B8379FC9B12.jpeg6371F062-E8FE-46BC-92F9-9670A0379240.jpegE76F1DEA-1DD1-4624-8C80-AAE9527EE93F.jpeg6B6C057B-11B6-41CF-AB9D-ECE6A616ED5A.jpeg

the walking end does not use a motor. The rope will self wind as the fishing swivel spins. You just have to monitor the topper to make sure the rope doesn’t spin to tight or to loose you’re looking for about 45° twist in the rope.
3FDD12E1-5609-4741-992A-CB9862970B1B.jpeg

That is really amazing. You must have put a lot of time in on that project. The spread sheets that you posted for the rope sizes is good iformation. I was very close with the sizes that I wanted to use so at least I feel verified for that. I was using 1mm for the bottom shrouds on the fore mast and the sheet called for .9. That's close enough for me. Thanks much for your input. Pete

So the center gear drives all the other gears in the same direction and you can use up to five strands of rope to make a bigger rope. Do I have that right? For three strands would you use the two top shafts and the center bottom shaft? This is very interesting.

So the center gear drives all the other gears in the same direction and you can use up to five strands of rope to make a bigger rope. Do I have that right? For three strands would you use the two top shafts and the center bottom shaft? This is very interesting.
Yes. The 30 tooth gear in the middle drives the 15 tooth gears around it. 2:1 ratio so the motor spinning at 800 rpm translated to 1600rpm at the thread shaft. I’ve never tried 5 strand rope but I do make 3 strand like you mentioned and then for 4 strand use the four corners. Normally 4-strand has a center core thread but I haven’t figured out how to achieve that and have not noticed that the center core is really needed. I’m sure for authenticity it should be included but I’m a rebel!

Does the center core have to turn like the other strands? If not then it could be run straight to the end but the bobbin?? would need a hole drilled through the center to take the center core. The core could be steel wound leader fishing wire or something like that.. The rest of the strands would just wrap around it as usual. There's about twenty feet between the two ends of my train table that would make good anchor points for a walk. That would make a great length of rope. Might even get thirty feet out of it. I'll have to look through all my junk tomorrow and see what I have for gears. This would be fun if I can make it work.
I don't drive so I ordered Rit dye from Amazon today. Should have it by Tuesday I hope.

Does the center core have to turn like the other strands? If not then it could be run straight to the end but the bobbin?? would need a hole drilled through the center to take the center core. The core could be steel wound leader fishing wire or something like that.. The rest of the strands would just wrap around it as usual. There's about twenty feet between the two ends of my train table that would make good anchor points for a walk. That would make a great length of rope. Might even get thirty feet out of it. I'll have to look through all my junk tomorrow and see what I have for gears. This would be fun if I can make it work.
I don't drive so I ordered Rit dye from Amazon today. Should have it by Tuesday I hope.
All good options. i just really haven’t needed to explore it. have fun making your ropewalk. I know I enjoy fabricating stuff as much as making the models.

As happens, life has gotten in the way of working on models. We’ve all been there…
That’s said, I was able to redo the shroud lanyards which now now seem (to my eye) more in scale. I’ve also completed 1/3 of the ratlines. Now my back is sore so I’ll but her in dry dock for a bit and do some work on Le Rochefort.

17C558D6-A790-47A1-883E-765C5B94F5AB.jpeg

9DEEFCBF-AF82-4931-8EDA-56DAB678753D.jpeg

94CB8456-C393-41D8-BBC1-17EDBFA8EA8C.jpeg

It’s been some time since I updated this log as I was working on Le Rochefort build. Well, I decided that I really needed to get this one back into dry dock so I’ve been working on the rigging. I was unhappy with my first as well as my second attempt so I ripped it all out and started a third time… you know that old saying, three times the charm?… Anyway, I‘m stopping at three. I completed the standing rigging and am ok with the results. Not great but ok.

IMG_8376.jpegIMG_8378.jpegIMG_8380.jpegIMG_8381.jpeg

I will start on the running rigging next but first it’s back to the ropewalk to make a bunch of rope for the running lines. I’m still going back and forth on whether to install sails or not. The Admiral says leave them off as they hide the other details… we’ll see.

Hej Olivier!
Your build inspired me to start the Cala Esmeralda too. Just layed the keel;-)
If I may ask, what rope sizes did you decide on in the end? I'd like to replace the Occre ones
but I'm not ready yet to "walk the ropes" myself;-)
I'm looking for sizes in mm, and will order them from Syren.
Thanks!´Keep up the good work;-)
John

Hej Olivier!
Your build inspired me to start the Cala Esmeralda too. Just layed the keel;-)
If I may ask, what rope sizes did you decide on in the end? I'd like to replace the Occre ones
but I'm not ready yet to "walk the ropes" myself;-)
I'm looking for sizes in mm, and will order them from Syren.
Thanks!´Keep up the good work;-)
John
Hi John,
To determine the rope sizes for the correct scale I use several excel spreadsheets. See my earlier post (#58) for links to the various spreadsheets. The method i use depends on the information I have available. For this model I used the main mast diameter of the Santa Eulalia 1918 (the basis for this model) along with the scale of the model (Which is actually 1:54 not 1:64 if I remember correctly) and let the spreadsheet calculate the various rope sizes.
that said I also “eyeballed” what looked good to me which is why I tore out the rigging a couple of times and started over.
Finally, I’m horrible at documentation so I really cannot provide you the sizes or length needed of what I ended up using.
Sorry I can’t be more help.
Enjoy your build!

Hi Guys - Finished Cala Esmeralda a few weeks ago. I hate the fuzzy stuff in the kits and I'm too old to start making my own line/rope. I took the simple route and the results don't look too bad:
IMG_1251.jpg
Here's what I used on 95% of the build (and don't make fun of my lack of rope making skill):
IMG_1252.jpg

Hi John,
To determine the rope sizes for the correct scale I use several excel spreadsheets. See my earlier post (#58) for links to the various spreadsheets. The method i use depends on the information I have available. For this model I used the main mast diameter of the Santa Eulalia 1918 (the basis for this model) along with the scale of the model (Which is actually 1:54 not 1:64 if I remember correctly) and let the spreadsheet calculate the various rope sizes.
that said I also “eyeballed” what looked good to me which is why I tore out the rigging a couple of times and started over.
Finally, I’m horrible at documentation so I really cannot provide you the sizes or length needed of what I ended up using.
Sorry I can’t be more help.
Enjoy your build!
Thank you for your reply Olivier..looking forward to your next steps!

Back