Panart: San Felipe 1:75 Scale Build Log [COMPLETED BUILD]

Thank you Paul, Gemma, Mustafa, and Eric for helping with the explanation of this most often confusing topic.

According the pictorial instructions, the Planking will only extend down to where the Bulkheads meet or join the Keel. Except for the aft most at stern, the planking will extend "into" the keel some. The RED line shows where the Planking comes to an end.

Thanks for all the help. Oh, I show just for reference my first tapered plank at the bow.

Last edited:
Ahh Ha See Donnie you were right you are showing me planking.
You guys make me want to stop work on my 2 smaller 15 in models and jump in to my little bit bigger Swift or jump to my two larger models Blue Nose 2 or my Constellation. (all 3 are made by Artesania Latina)
Thanks Donnie for the invite to the forums still reading everything you all have to chat about.

Hi Mongrell - great to have you here on SoS. Thanks again for everyone stopping by to look. Cleaning up latest planking and doing some sanding to see how things are shaping up. I think pretty good.

Last edited:
Don't know about pretty good Donnie? Looks very good from where I am sitting. The San Filipe looks to me like the Pearl's big sister, similar in many ways but more complicated.

Thank you Paul, Gemma, and all ... I was thinking that the Pearl was more difficult - ?

Well, on with the latest. Easy to get bored (board --- ha ha) ,, so I decided to work on planking next to Keel. This particular plank is NOT the Garboard Plank, but I am using it as a reference for the Garboard Plank. Probably doesn't make much sense, but oh well. It is what it is as I say.

Thanks for reading...
Donnie

Last edited:
Makes sense to me Donnie, if you fit the plank that will be next to the Garboard strake, you get all the spacing for the Garboard ;-) My Pearl kit is quite basic really, the one Frank has is a larger scale and much more complicated.

Thank you Mustafa. I will have to try those modified clips.

I am installing the Garboard plank and the one next to it.

Last edited:
On with more Planking - nothing major to report. This is a double planked hull by the way.

Last edited:
Looking good Donnie. Seems like we may have been doing exactly the same thing today, I got a couple more of my 'bottom' planks put on. Same with my build, nothing much to say about it, other than carry on as before, the gap between the bottom and side planks is slowly shrinking.

You should clear the left and the right of the keel at the stern by at least half the thickness of the plank .
Lower keel should be left untouched. Otherwise, you will have trouble getting the right thickness on the back

Hello Donnie
Great job you are doing on your San Felipe. I have just gone trough your build log and am very impressed with your great skills and problem solutions that seam to come to you very easy.
I do very much agree with Mustafa on using those spring paper clips for your hull planking, they do a great job and do not leave any holes to contend with later, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence

Thank you GemmaJF, JScolum, Paul and Lawrence for watching and support. Here is the latest on the planking. Realizing some mistakes....oh well, it will be covered up by the main planking.

I made a template out of some stiff paper - I also realize that I should have filled in the bow with balsa - but I am making it fine so far I guess.

Donnie

Last edited:
You are doing a great job Donnie,I am quite sure that the second layer will be perfect.

Looks fine to me Donnie, I think the bow blocks made life easier for me on the Pearl, but it looks like you are getting by fine without them. :handgestures-thumbup:

Back