Pavel Nikitin San Bartolome

Been a little while since posted. But I decided the bulkhead under the forecastle needed some hinges so I spent some time making them out of brass sheet and brass nails. Also had to make the nails heads smaller so they can be a little bit more to scale. Once everything was cut and shaped I brass blackened everything.IMG_8351.jpegIMG_8356.pngIMG_8389.jpegIMG_8391.jpegIMG_8388.jpegIMG_8396.jpegIMG_8397.pngIMG_8398.pngIMG_8399.jpegIMG_8400.jpegIMG_8401.pngIMG_8403.jpeg

IMG_8352.jpeg

Wow, that is a neat addition. Nicely done.

Jan
Thanks Jan! I thought the bulkhead looked a little bare. They are small and fiddly….but could not not find any suitable photo etch hinges. Thanks for the comments and likes.

Been a little while since posted. But I decided the bulkhead under the forecastle needed some hinges so I spent some time making them out of brass sheet and brass nails. Also had to make the nails heads smaller so they can be a little bit more to scale. Once everything was cut and shaped I brass blackened everything.View attachment 419538View attachment 419539View attachment 419540View attachment 419541View attachment 419542View attachment 419544View attachment 419545View attachment 419546View attachment 419547View attachment 419548View attachment 419549View attachment 419550

View attachment 419543
Wonderful.

Decided to start working on the masts just to make sure before I close everything up that all will be OK when going to install them for final fit. It is an interesting approach to how they are done. Like they say you can never have enough clamps.IMG_8421.jpegIMG_8420.jpeg

Got the foremast mounted. I verified the ship is level and checked the mast is plumb. To my surprise it was perfect no adjustments necessary. Great engineering on the kit Pavel Nikitin. And maybe a little credit to me for careful building.Now I can comfortably close up the forward section and get the rest of the bulkheads installed.IMG_8453.jpegIMG_8452.jpegIMG_8451.jpegIMG_8449.jpegIMG_8450.jpeg

Got the foremast mounted. I verified the ship is level and checked the mast is plumb. To my surprise it was perfect no adjustments necessary. Great engineering on the kit Pavel Nikitin. And maybe a little credit to me for careful building.Now I can comfortably close up the forward section and get the rest of the bulkheads installed.View attachment 421039View attachment 421040View attachment 421041View attachment 421042View attachment 421043

I don't have a lathe. What is an alternative way to round it out?

I don't have a lathe. What is an alternative way to round it out?
All I did was figure the diameter that I needed. I then found the center of the mast, and marked as needed. I then used a sharp X-Acto and various other tools to carve it too rough shape. I dialed it in using files and sandpaper while measuring with a micrometer to keep the diameter consistent along the length of the mast. Hope that helps.

All I did was figure the diameter that I needed. I then found the center of the mast, and marked as needed. I then used a sharp X-Acto and various other tools to carve it too rough shape. I dialed it in using files and sandpaper while measuring with a micrometer to keep the diameter consistent along the length of the mast. Hope that helps.
Well, you appear to have nailed the small sections you did so I'll give that a try.
...they use different planes, not the block plane. The block plane reletevly small 3 to 4 inches

View attachment 435676 View attachment 435677
Thanks Jimsky . . .

...they use different planes, not the block plane. The block plane reletevly small 3 to 4 inches

View attachment 435676 View attachment 435677
The block plane will work great until you get to a transition in the mast. So depending on where the throat of your plane is will determine the amount you can not plane. Thats why I chose to shape with knives, files and sand paper.

IMG_9091.jpeg

I have a little update to post. I have been working on the cap rails and some deck fittings on the port side. Everything thing is dry fitted and will be fine tuned after gluing in place. I also used filler blocks in the bulk heads to have more surface area to glue the cap rails. I also may laminate a piece of veneer on the main deck cap to eliminate the glued up layers. This depends on how well it looks after dying the wood. I can’t imagine they will disappear.
Hope everyone is well!!
IMG_9113.jpegIMG_9112.jpegIMG_9114.jpegIMG_9115.jpegIMG_9116.jpegIMG_9117.jpegIMG_9118.jpegIMG_9119.jpegIMG_9122.jpeg

Back