Pavel Nikitin San Bartolome

Another option (possibility), which I am not a big fan of, is to use a chuck adapter on a 2.35mm shaft. I have seen some in jewelry stores. Those adapters can accept drillbits from 0.2~ 0.5mm.
The 3-jaw adapter you mentioned in the above link is a waste of investment. It is of terrible quality. BTW, any adapter will add unnecessary deviation.
I have similar chucks (and similarly priced) which I can use really small drills with, with no problem. Not precision, I'm sure, but good for occasional use.

Hi, can you please tell me what was the process of painting the cannons? I am mainly interested in metal parts, thanks a lot. yours look perfect
Thank you for the compliment. I polished the cannons to a high polish. No machine marks at all. Once that was done I used Birchwood Casey Brass Black in an eye drop for precise application to all the high turned points on the cannon. I let this sit to get a darker area the crevices. I cleaned with water. After I got those areas done I used a Q-tip/cotton bud with brass black and rubbed on the cannon till I achieved the the look. Constantly rinsing the cannon in water and changing the Q-tip. At no point did I ever soak the cannon in a bath of brass black. Doing it this way is very very time consuming but very controllable. Once that was done I waxed the cannons with Renaissance wax.image.jpg

Wow, you are making great progress. It took a bit to catch up on your build. I noticed the "beams" on the upper deck. Did you use the ones that were supplied in the kit???

IMG_7825.jpeg

Jan

Got the stern planked today. A lot of lay out involved to get everything to line up correctly. I used double sided tape. This let me take on off the planks as many times as needed to adjust. Once I was happy with layout I struck a line for one plank glued and let dry. Easy sailing from there. I also thought it would be easier to use the door instead of the plug. Just snuck a piece of veneer to hold it in place. Now just need to trim the overhanging planks. A job for tomorrow.View attachment 390491View attachment 390490View attachment 390489View attachment 390488View attachment 390487View attachment 390486View attachment 390485View attachment 390484View attachment 390483
Great method, wonderful results. I'm just now finding your build log and just love it and your progress. I had to go back to the beginning and now reading through it with great pleasure.

Apologies if it is explained in a post I've not yet read, but I really like the beveled results you've achieved on your external hull planks. How did you do this? I've seen the method you've used on your deck planking to bevel and burn on other builds, but the hull planks show no burning, just the bevel.

Thanks in advance and again, super work!

Great method, wonderful results. I'm just now finding your build log and just love it and your progress. I had to go back to the beginning and now reading through it with great pleasure.

Apologies if it is explained in a post I've not yet read, but I really like the beveled results you've achieved on your external hull planks. How did you do this? I've seen the method you've used on your deck planking to bevel and burn on other builds, but the hull planks show no burning, just the bevel.

Thanks in advance and again, super work!
All I do is use some 220 sand paper. No jigs… just by eye. I beveled the edges a little more on the hull than the deck. The weather effect will be a little different on the hull than the deck.

Ok so this will be my last post for a little while. I go in for hand surgery tomorrow. I was able to get the first 5 rows of planking done on the starboard side. Hopefully I heal quick and will not be out of commission for to long. At least it will give some to time catch up on everybody’s builds.IMG_7901.jpegIMG_7902.jpegIMG_7903.jpegIMG_7904.jpeg

We are crossing all fingers and toes for the surgery - get well soon

Got the starboard side fully planked. It was a challenge where the planks bend around the bulk heads. The wood kept wanting split along the grain. Wasn’t all of the planks. I guess the grain orientation on certain plates made it more conducive to the splitting. I used superglue to keep everything from splitting. Hopefully I can keep the dyeing stage even.IMG_7987.jpegIMG_7988.jpegIMG_7989.jpegIMG_7990.jpeg

That is great work . I still need to place plank #1 on both sides. I'm working up the courage to trim them to get good fit.

Jan

That is great work . I still need to place plank #1 on both sides. I'm working up the courage to trim them to get good fit.

Jan
Jan,
Thanks!
I made a template out of card stock so it was a perfect fit. I then transferred it to the number 1 plank so it was slightly larger. I then slowly sanded it to fit. Probably not the fastest or best way. That’s the way I felt most confident and it wound up fitting pretty well I think. I still have to final sand. But I will do that once I finish the port side.
Good luck with your #1 plank.

Chris

Got the starboard side fully planked. It was a challenge where the planks bend around the bulk heads. The wood kept wanting split along the grain. Wasn’t all of the planks. I guess the grain orientation on certain plates made it more conducive to the splitting. I used superglue to keep everything from splitting. Hopefully I can keep the dyeing stage even.View attachment 403841View attachment 403842View attachment 403843View attachment 403844
Good morning. That is really good planking. Good luck with your hand surgery and speedy recovery. Cheers Grant

Back