Pavel Nikitin San Bartolome

Got the stern planked today. A lot of lay out involved to get everything to line up correctly. I used double sided tape. This let me take on off the planks as many times as needed to adjust. Once I was happy with layout I struck a line for one plank glued and let dry. Easy sailing from there. I also thought it would be easier to use the door instead of the plug. Just snuck a piece of veneer to hold it in place. Now just need to trim the overhanging planks. A job for tomorrow.View attachment 390491View attachment 390490View attachment 390489View attachment 390488View attachment 390487View attachment 390486View attachment 390485View attachment 390484View attachment 390483
Good morning. Wow this is good. Cheers Grant

Good evening everyone. Just bouncing around on the kit. So I decided to start gluing up the bowsprit. And based on how the four parts that are glued it looks like it should be oval. I can not find any cross section in the plans to verify my observation of the glued up parts. View attachment 392067Can anyone verify this? Thanks for the input in advance.

Wow, I don't know what I'm looking at here. But like you I've been doing some of the odd little builds here and there. I haven't gotten to that part yet. So...:rolleyes:

Jan

Wow, I don't know what I'm looking at here. But like you I've been doing some of the odd little builds here and there. I haven't gotten to that part yet. So...:rolleyes:

Jan
Jan this is the back of the bowsprit. This would be the end that you insert the the bow bulkhead. I just started shaping it. And the shape lends it self to be an oval. I only carved a little bit at the end as to not commit to one shape. But you can see to make a round shape I would have to carve a lot more off it. Then it would be way too small in diameter for the opening in the bulkhead. And if you look closely at the number two bulk it’s actually oval shaped but the other two openings are round. Hopefully I made it a little more clear. I will try to include more pics when I get home

Jan this is the back of the bowsprit. This would be the end that you insert the the bow bulkhead. I just started shaping it. And the shape lends it self to be an oval. I only carved a little bit at the end as to not commit to one shape. But you can see to make a round shape I would have to carve a lot more off it. Then it would be way too small in diameter for the opening in the bulkhead. And if you look closely at the number two bulk it’s actually oval shaped but the other two openings are round. Hopefully I made it a little more clear. I will try to include more pics when I get home
I have to admit that piece looks ODD. I wonder what the answer is to round versus oval holes. Maybe a carryover from SB#1 to the improved version SB#2?

I'm still struggling/frustrated with my Re-Do of the main deck planking and cannon ports on my SB. Had to get away from the build for a bit by working on the "Wlillem Barentsz".

Jan

I have to admit that piece looks ODD. I wonder what the answer is to round versus oval holes. Maybe a carryover from SB#1 to the improved version SB#2?

I'm still struggling/frustrated with my Re-Do of the main deck planking and cannon ports on my SB. Had to get away from the build for a bit by working on the "Wlillem Barentsz".

Jan
I am wondering that as well if it SB1& SB2. And I think Olga is doing SB1. Because they are major differences in his build vs my build. Maybe I will reach out to Pavel Nikitin’s page.

I am wondering that as well if it SB1& SB2. And I think Olga is doing SB1. Because they are major differences in his build vs my build. Maybe I will reach out to Pavel Nikitin’s page.

Jan
Sorry to hear you’re having trouble with your SB. Definitely better to take a break and work on something else then to keep getting frustrated. Do you have a build log of the Wlillem Barentsz. I would like to check it out.

I got the latrine grating fitted. You can also see the main wale is also glued in place. I can not wait till everything is fared and ready for planking.View attachment 392359View attachment 392360View attachment 392361View attachment 392362
Jagpilot thanks for sharing your build, l am enjoying it very much. So much so that l want to buy the kit… may l ask who did you buy it from? Was it directly from Nikitin? And if so, how was your experience on shipping? Happy Sunday!!

I ordered direct from Pavel, and while the shipping wasn't cheap, the really heavy package was sturdily packed up and arrived with no damage in about two weeks direct from Ukraine to the west coast of Cabada.

I ordered direct from Pavel, and while the shipping wasn't cheap, the really heavy package was sturdily packed up and arrived with no damage in about two weeks direct from Ukraine to the west coast of Cabada.
Thank you, now l am more confident to buy the kit. Have a great week!!

Jagpilot thanks for sharing your build, l am enjoying it very much. So much so that l want to buy the kit… may l ask who did you buy it from? Was it directly from Nikitin? And if so, how was your experience on shipping? Happy Sunday!!
Hello Polo, I have ordered several times from Pavel Nikitin. I have had no issues with them. It is great kit. I have many of his kits and just pre-ordered the Santa Maria.

I got the cannon ports all finished. This was probably the most time consuming part so far. I spent a lot of time filling in the empty space between the cannon ports and ship frame. I also installed back stops so the cannon ports sit at the correct depth. It will also provide more glue area. Once the planking is done all I have to do is cut the planking right to the cannon port frames. I colored the ship frames black so I don’t over cut the planking. The cannon ports should slide right in……In theory.IMG_7377.jpegIMG_7375.jpegIMG_7370.jpegIMG_7369.jpegIMG_7372.jpegIMG_7376.jpegIMG_7374.jpegIMG_7373.jpegIMG_7378.jpegIMG_7379.jpegIMG_7380.jpegIMG_7381.jpegIMG_7382.jpegIMG_7383.jpeg

Hello Polo, I have ordered several times from Pavel Nikitin. I have had no issues with them. It is great kit. I have many of his kits and just pre-ordered the Santa Maria.
Thank you so much!!! Now l have the confidence to buy directly from them. Have a great week!!!

Back