Pinnace Papegojan 1627 - 1/48 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Good day Dear Matt,
there are some more eye catching details which are repeatedly shown on pictures of many 17th century Dutch vessels and on some contemporaneous 17th famous models as well- I took this Eendracht 1653 just as good example of such details.
Dear Ab,
Could You Please advise and give some comments about purpose and materials / which are they made from - poz 2,3,4... these strange stuff looks like mops? Or serie of small bouys?
and how they were secured to the bowsprit- poz 2?

One more question, anchor bouy...what are material and colors?
Was it used to be painted in contrast colors in that time or not... ? something like white strips?
on the colored( 17th cntr) pictures these bouys always shown in some plain brownish colors, but on Van de Velde drawing we could see them as painted in some contrast colors?
Please advise.
Ps
pos 1 pls don't count... pointed by mistake,there is bowline block and rope....
20210810_055453.jpg

Last edited:
3 are mops to clean the anchor.
5 is the rope to get the anchor up to the side.
4 is the buoy of the anchor
1 and 2 I don"t know

Wait 2 is leather cloth that is cover the ropes of the woolding for protection

Thanks Stephan,
Thanks for your fast answers, but they are not yet completed...
ok,
pos.1 - no question ,made by mistake
poz.2
-why leather? after contact with water and later drying, it could be shrinked too much? or not? or it was just kind of tared tarpolin material used?
and how it was secured? nails? or small ropes? how to show them on the model?
pos 3
- but which materials they were made, handle - is it solid or soft material, wood? or all made exactly as conventional mops made or there was some specific?
and how they use it?
poz.4
- anchors bouy You could see in another location and much bigger in size, but what are these small bouys for ?
pos.5
was not a question, just remark ,how it looks like with removed block when anchor in stowed position.
Or could be question- is it some intermediate anchor position before final securing ? Or process completed and anchor secured?

Last edited:
The book of Landstrom The Vasa you can see the mop. It's just a mop in those days. wood with wool, hennep, you name it

they just clean the anchors from stuff like algae or mussels and mud when they lift out of the sea

Naamloos-4.jpg

Leather was used often on ships to protect rope, so why not....

There are 2 buoys hanging after another

Last edited:
Hi All,

My name is Matthew and I'm from Poland.
I'd like to show you my recent model, which I'm building already quite few years... almost 11 ROTF
It's taking so much time not because of complexity of the build... but just simply not having enough time mixed with long months being on board the ship. I'm working as a Hotel Officer on board passenger ships. Well... not now... due to covid... so I have some unexpected long time off... so at least I can spend some more time behind the desk with my model.

Few facts about the ship and model.
Papegojan was build by Dutch shipyard in 1623 and year after she was delivered to Swedish Royal Navy with galleons Kristina, Tigern, Solen, Enhörningen, Mänen, Regnbĺgen, Pelikanen and second pinnace Regnier. During her service she was involved in few sea battles on Baltic Sea agains Crown of the Kingdom of Poland. Sank in 1644.

My build is based on cardboard model released by Shipyard http://model-shipyard.com/gb/sailing-ships/36-mk005-papegojan-no-34.html
However, it's just a cardboard model in 1/96 so obviously had a lot of simplified details. Model has already great design straight from Shipyard... but I had to pimp it up a little bit :cool::p My supporting materials are: Ab Hoving and his publications... mainly The ships of Abel Tasman and Cor Emke plans of pinnace Heemskerck.
There is no sight of any original plans of Papegojan... as Dutch shipyards most likely (and commonly) didn't draw any for specific ship. They used to build ships according to contracts and by general plans of this type of the vessel. Little bit free-style. So I believe my path is not completely wrong ;)

Wood mainly used for the build is Pear. Only deck were made of Birch wood. Carvings were made of Pau Marfim.

At that point just few hull and deck fitting are missing.
I'm focusing now on the rigging.... so soon I believe I will be able to post some photos with recent progress.

Enjoy the photos below.

Cheers,
Matt

View attachment 216133

View attachment 216135
View attachment 216134
View attachment 216136

View attachment 216137

View attachment 216138
View attachment 216139
View attachment 216141
View attachment 216143
View attachment 216142
View attachment 216140

View attachment 216144
View attachment 216145
View attachment 216146
View attachment 216147
View attachment 216148

View attachment 216149
View attachment 216150
View attachment 216152
View attachment 216151

View attachment 216157

View attachment 216156
Hallo Matthew alias @mati.n
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
Enjoy your special day, I hope with family and friends

Kirill: a bit late, but here are some answers to your questions about the Van de Velde drawing.
2. is a piece of leather, nailed over the ropes of the woulding that keeps the bowsprit down. It was to prevent water to leak into the rope, which could cause rot.
3. are the 'all-men's-ends, with which the users of the toilets in the beakhead wiped their bottoms. (Steef66, I heard you say before that this were mops to clean the anchors. I don't know where you got this theory from, but it illustrates exactly what I said about using Landstrom as a source. He was a wonderful artist, but he sometimes made misinterpretations of what he saw on the Van de Velde drawings. I never saw any inventory list of 17th century ships with a special tool to clean the anchors. Who cares to clean an anchor coming out of the water?). Of course it is also possible that we see some mops here, but for cleaning the anchors? I really have my doubts.
4. Probably an anchor bouy, made of sailcloth, filled with cork.
5. The line that keeps the top of the anchor to the cathead. It starts with a hole in the cathead, with a knot on top, passes the ring of the anchor and (mostly) passes a groove in the fore-side of the cathead. In this case there must be an opening in the side of the cathead, to give way to the rope when it is installed. You can see the rope disappearing into the forecastle's bulkhead, where is was belayed. When the line was made loose, the anchor dropped.

@Ab Hoving where I found this story I don"t know anymore. But the story was that anchors could get real dirty. Not only sea life what stick to it also sticky mud was a problem. This need to washed of. Even in this time, ships got equipement on board to clean the anchors. There is for small boats a special brush to clean the chains.
And the rope to wipe of, you mentioned needs to hang in the water. Not above. Also is it very big in the picture.
But I want to try to find the source where I got this from.

I tried to find it back, no success. :(
Found 2 pictures with these ropes/brooms, a little more better to see. I noticed that you see these only when they working on the anchor and going on sail.

Naamloos-1.jpgNaamloos-2.jpg

Edit. Found it

"the writings of Bjorn Landstrom, The Dutch and European sailing ships of the period. That discovery was the anchor swabs.
Just like the missing belfry VASA carried at the foremast, she had the visible anchor swabs in that location of the ship as well.
These were lengthy mops that were used to clean off sea life (barnacles, seaweed and the like) from the anchors while they were being hoisted...and before stowing."

On modern ships today, this still happens, with powerplay water jets, they clean the anchors before stowing.

Last edited:
I believe you Steef, but still having problems with Landstrom as a source. Maybe he unveiled his source in his writings himself?
For his misinterpretations, look at the way he illustrates the building of the Wasa in his wonderful book on the ship. The method he describes is totally nonsense, which he admitted later on. I love his work, but still, he is not a source. Neither is for instance Zu Mondfeld (or myself for that matter) or any other modern writer. Their work may be handy for lazy modelmakers, but you always deal with interpretations. You have to base your conclusions on authentic material, not on what others think they know.
As for the hygienic use of rope, there is one model where I spotted this item: on the Blyswyk, an 18th century Eastindiaman in Museum de Gijn in Dordrecht.

Thanks Ab. Yes your right about the source. Mondfeld has a lot of mistakes in his book. There is also a big difference in the book in English, German and Dutch.
But the 'swabber' part of Landstrom sounds more true when you take a deeper look to al the paintings.
And how they use that special rope is not very hygienic. Maybe the first one who uses it in the morning. :)

Good day Stephan,
On modern vessel water jets designed /using for anchor chain washing in first turn (nozzles placed inside hawsepipe)... when we heaving up anchor,and secondary , when anchor at parking place, upper part of the anchor could be washed as well by the same jets, but its cleanless much less important than chain cleanless.
Concerning using these mops, they could be used just for cleaning ease area without direct contact with human body... and , theoreticaly they could use it for any other cleaning purposes ...:))) for anchor cleaning, or anchor rope, why not...they are quite big ?
But for me more weight has explanations given by Ab...

Last edited:
@kirill4 the knowledge about clearing anchor till today, was toch to me by a man who worden over 50 years on big ships around the sea. His first schip was a steamer with sails.

Back