Pinnace Papegojan 1627 - 1/48 [COMPLETED BUILD]

your rigging is looking wonderful - the appearance, used materials, execution -> all first class
And it is in addition very interesting to see such special formed blocks, which were used during this time period ..... many thanks for sharing with us, especially to show them in macro-distance, so we cann all the details :cool:

Hi All,

Thank you @Daniel20, @shota70 and @Uwek for your nice comments!

"Cucumber season" is on so as many others I had some break from the model. Nice weather outside so not much motivation to sit behind workbench :D
Anyway... I have some small progress.

Bowsprit and spritsail yard rigging has been almost completed. Missing sheets will be added later... now they might obstruct space and knowing my luck i will knock off something ROTF

I hope photos will be clear enough to see how each particular rope has been fixed.

5DM34708.JPG
5DM34721.JPG
5DM34728.JPG
5DM34726.JPG
5DM34727.JPG

Cheers,
Matt

@Uwek thanks again for your generous comment :) really appreciate that somebody is enjoying my work and approach to rigging. I hope it will be helpful too for others.

@Thomas Marocke thank you.

In term of block strops...
...I'm lazy so no fancy splice :) Both ends of rope for block strop always receive tiny drop of super glue, then with sharp scalpel blade I'm cutting those ends to have perfect straight joint. Most of the time glued joint is hidden under the seizing... sometimes on the lower part of the block... all depends to block size and diameter of the rope used for strop. CA glue has tendency to shine a little bit... to make joint with matt finish I'm applying just a little bit of micro-crystalline wax to hide this effect... but it's just me... freak ROTF to notice this shine you will have to shoot spot light straight to this joint and have magnification glass ROTF

Most of the ropes used for block stopes are ~0,5mm and blocks between 3mm -> 6mm and I came to conclusion that making real splice it will be torture ROTF so I've decided to go with gluing and hiding the joint under seizing. Not a pure approach applied to rigging... and nothing I'm proud of it, but let say... it's acceptable shortcut ;):p

Cheers,
Matt

Hi Matt!

The earlier modelers doweled and nailed their planks because they didn't have suitable adhesives. They also had to bind their blocks because of the lack of glue. We have it a little easier today.
There are many methods to bind the blocks, but yours is the most invisible. Your rigging looks perfect!

Continue to have fun building
Thomas

Hi,

So many generous compliments and comments :D
Thank you @pianoforte, @Steef66, @Thomas Marocke, @Gennaro!
Thanks a lot for other colleagues for many likes!

I'm really happy that other modelers can find something interesting... perhaps helpful in my build.
It's always giving me much more motivation to carry on and pushing me to improve my work and pump it up level of details as much as I can.

Thanks a lot for your support!

BeerBeerBeerBeerBeer

Hi All,

Another small update...

Mizzen mast is nearly fully rigged. Just ratlines missing.

As you see model doesn't have sails, but still I would like to keep as many ropes as possible.
That's why you can see clewlines and sheet on mizzen mast yard.
With sails clewlines should be attached to sail cringles and sheet to clew... but without I have decided to keep them in the way as you can see on the photos with excess rope belayed next to the blocks on the yard. Sheet block which is attached to mizzen clew has been attached with knot to the yard.

5DM34731.JPG

5DM34732.JPG

5DM34744.JPG

You can see also parral, which is slightly different to parrals on main and fore yard.

5DM34739.JPG

5DM34748.JPG

5DM34745.JPG

5DM34742.JPG

...I'm jumping from one yard to another just because to not get bored I was missing fore yard parral.
It's almost the same as main yard, but slightly smaller.

5DM34735.JPG

Cheers,
Matt

Great work again.
Your rope is magnificent made. The look, the colour and the shade of bitumen. I couldn't find it back in your thread. What is the colour of Serafill yarn you did use to create this rope coloured in bitumen?

And this block
mz014det.jpg
I like the shape, it's, I think, a deadeye of the 13th century?

Hi,

Thank you @Steef66 for nice comment!
I'm using color number 0326 for Serafil... however big part of the rigging is also made of white (natural color) Ariadna Tytan 360 or 250.
Even when thread is white or slightly off white after bitument they both looks the same :D

This block is called bridle block. Used mainly on bowlines and on mizzen for clewline.
Similar block called bullseye or preventer will be used (but bigger) for spritsail sheet... it will be attached to fore shroud.

Thank you @Daniel20 for your kind comment. I'm happy that you are finding my work helpful to you...
I hope photos are clear enough. If you or anybody else would like to have some close ups on some details, which is not clear let me know so I can take same additional photo.

Cheers,
Matt

Last edited:
This block is called bridle block. Used mainly on bowlines and on mizzen for clewline.
Similar block called bullseye or preventer will be used (but bigger) for spritsail sheet... it will be attached to fore shroud.
Thanks Mat. I saw simular blocks in the drawings of Peter Kirsch when I was building the galleon. In that day I couldn't find any info about what that tiny thing in the drawing was. I asked in the build log but nobody could tell. I use instead of this a single block because I couldn't find the info. At this moment I know that this kind of block exist, but only the name was a riddle to me. Till now. Thanks.

Hi All,

@Steef66 Thumbsup

Another small update.
In order to complete wooden sticks :D I had to hung last two yards. Main and fore topsail yards.
Both yards had slightly different type of parrals.
I saw few different "designs"... but I have decided to go with Herman Keeting "look".

Photos might be not that obvious, because of obstruct and tight spot so I'm attaching also drawing how more or less it should look ;)

IMG_1619.JPG

5DM34754.JPG
5DM34756.JPG
5DM34758.JPG
5DM34757.JPG
5DM34755.JPG
5DM34759.JPG

Having all yards in place I was able to start with other rigging.

Braces...

5DM34763.JPG
5DM34765.JPG
5DM34761.JPG

5DM34774.JPG
5DM34775.JPG
5DM34770.JPG

Topsail yards lifts...

5DM34772.JPG
5DM34767.JPG
5DM34768.JPG

You can see on some photos that I have started with ratlines, which is about time, but when all will be done I will post some photos and details.
It's kind of boring to make all those clove hitches so I'm taking breaks and jump to other part of the rigging ROTF

Cheers,
Matt

Back