Purchased shortly ago / sthg new in your workshop -> present it here

Today, the postman rings again:
A Stanley Maxsteel Multi Angle Vice:
Stanley.jpg
It is very solid:
  • 3”/77mm jaw capacity
  • Durable cast-iron corrosion resistant construction
  • Light-weight & compact design for portability
  • 360° rotating ball joint, with locking mechanism, for a range of different applications
  • Large C-Clamp mount attaches, with screws, to a variety of surfaces including a workbench
  • Removable rubber jaw covers prevents marking and marring of delicate materials
  • Ideal for a wide range of trade, DIY, craft & hobby applications
And behind, you see the handle of a:
Japanese Kataba Saw:
Kataba.jpg
The blade:
  • length: 225 mm / 8.86"
  • thickness: 0.4 mm / 0,0157"
  • saw teeth: 21 tpi
Regards, Peter

View attachment 237841
this is the saw boxed up, it comes with a stand and also side and rear tables, cost of the saw was AUD 190, which
I thought was a great deal considering it come with three blades,

View attachment 237842
I will only attach the rear table extension, and I will not attach the legs as i have a bench that is just the right height
for the saw to sit on,

View attachment 237843
another couple of views,

View attachment 237844
it came with one blade fitted and two spare blades as well, on the right of the pic you can see the two side table
extensions and one of the legs,

View attachment 237845
it has a nice tight fence that you can use in two positions for smaller pieces or larger pieces, it also has rise and fall
function and also beveling

View attachment 237846
when I set up the fence and took it tight up against the blade the
marker showed spot on zero,

View attachment 237847
my Admiral really spoilt me, she also bought me a 125mm 5 speed sander, cost was AUD 50, which I thought
was another great bargain,

View attachment 237848
and a couple of pics,

View attachment 237849

PS I meant to say that they also include six sanding disc's, assorted grades,
You will need a good vacuum or dust collector to hook up to those beasts of dust producers.

Good thing most come with hose connection built in now a days.

Today, the postman rings again:
A Stanley Maxsteel Multi Angle Vice:
View attachment 238987
It is very solid:
  • 3”/77mm jaw capacity
  • Durable cast-iron corrosion resistant construction
  • Light-weight & compact design for portability
  • 360° rotating ball joint, with locking mechanism, for a range of different applications
  • Large C-Clamp mount attaches, with screws, to a variety of surfaces including a workbench
  • Removable rubber jaw covers prevents marking and marring of delicate materials
  • Ideal for a wide range of trade, DIY, craft & hobby applications
And behind, you see the handle of a:
Japanese Kataba Saw:
View attachment 238991
The blade:
  • length: 225 mm / 8.86"
  • thickness: 0.4 mm / 0,0157"
  • saw teeth: 21 tpi
Regards, Peter
The Stanley 360 vise is a new one for me and I can think of many times when I wanted something like that for better working angles. I'll have to look into that. Rich

You will need a good vacuum or dust collector to hook up to those beasts of dust producers.

Good thing most come with hose connection built in now a days.
G'day Kurt, you are absolutely correct, I will go down the second hand shop and see what they have available, this saw has an out at the back for connecting a hose to,

best regards John.

The Stanley 360 vise is a new one for me and I can think of many times when I wanted something like that for better working angles. I'll have to look into that. Rich
Only just for info
- as an alternative also Proxxon has something similar - I use the second one very often
FMZ, FMS and UHZ

28608.png 28602.png

28610.png

Just received a small but valauble parcel from Cornwall Model Boats (Btw: very good service, communication and fast delivery - AAA)

It is good to have some eyebolts / eyelets in spare - you can never have enough of them, when they fit
Different sizes between 0,3mm (photo etched) and 1,2mm inner diameter of the hole

IMG-6626.jpg

Very interesting in my opinion are the extreme small photo etched eyebolts with only 0,3mm hole diameter - manufacturer is Caldercraft, also known as Jotika
IMG-6627.jpg

Just received a small but valauble parcel from Cornwall Model Boats (Btw: very good service, communication and fast delivery - AAA)

It is good to have some eyebolts / eyelets in spare - you can never have enough of them, when they fit
Different sizes between 0,3mm (photo etched) and 1,2mm inner diameter of the hole

View attachment 241580

Very interesting in my opinion are the extreme small photo etched eyebolts with only 0,3mm hole diameter - manufacturer is Caldercraft, also known as Jotika
View attachment 241581
those are tiny little pieces but I know that I would not be able to bend the eye at 0.3 mm I.D. Handling care is needed with these. Nice. Rich

Коллеги, какой моментальный? А потом у меня появилась аллергия на цианоакрилатный клей. Ищу замену.

Colleagues, what is instant? And then I got allergic to cyanoacrylate glue. I am looking for a replacement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hot hide glue bonds just about instantly, but I have not heard of anyone using it on model sized piece. It takes a lot of preparation.

Hide glue came in granules that needs to be heated to liquify. It gets more sticky as it cools. I would never consider it for model building. Primarily used in furniture construction. You can stil buy glue pots for heating hide glue.
The hot hide glue smells awful..... well it stinks! The use of the hide glue goes back to the old times, where this was the one and only carpenter's glue. I am sure using wood glue is a personal preference, but a PVA-based blend outperforms the Hide glue on every count, hence doesn't smell bad, IMHO

What do you mean with "Hot hide glue bonds"?
Apologies on a poorly crafted response. "Hot hide glue" is an old fashioned glue made from boiling down animal skins and bones. It is used by traditional cabinet makers. It's usually sold in flakes that are mixed with water and heated to dissolve, and it has to be used while hot-62C or so. It grabs and sets VERY quickly while you hold the parts in place, almost as quickly as super glues but it is reversible with heat. There is some smell. I keep thinking an electric warmer for scented wax would make a good model size glue pot. Here are a couple of links for more detail:

Apologies on a poorly crafted response. "Hot hide glue" is an old fashioned glue made from boiling down animal skins and bones. It is used by traditional cabinet makers. It's usually sold in flakes that are mixed with water and heated to dissolve, and it has to be used while hot-62C or so. It grabs and sets VERY quickly while you hold the parts in place, almost as quickly as super glues but it is reversible with heat. There is some smell. I keep thinking an electric warmer for scented wax would make a good model size glue pot. Here are a couple of links for more detail:

Understood and many thanks for the additional information :cool:
For me it was not clear, how this type of glue is connected with my purchase of the Tidebond glues.....

BTW: In the meantime I used different types of the instant glues and I am very happy with the dandling and quality

Back