Purchased shortly ago / sthg new in your workshop -> present it here

@Jimsky

there is a lot of books that jumps inside this area. In my opinion you don´t must study it to scratch. Its good to understand, but what you need is only a little part. The base with the three views and all the lines. Boudriot explains as well a lot of things in his documentations. If you need to make own drawings, a own construction, its a other thing. I have three pages in German that explains the drawings fast and on the point. When it helps you...? But they are from the 80´s and i have to scan it.

1570680854755.png

Oliver,very interesting book.Even with a proficient knowledge of French you would still need a proficient knowledge of the names of parts of the ship.You could have spoken English all your life and still not know the names of these terms in English.

Jim I agree with Oliver,this book explains how from a blank sheet of paper how the French Naval architects (at that time) designed the ship.The hull forms were established using a known set of formulae,these did vary between the architects of the time and also the rules did change with different "establishments" as time went on.As an example,the rules for designing the Soleil Royal 1669 was different to the Saint Philippe 1693 and the typical French 74 is different again.Not only did the geometry change but so did the framing design as the architects tried to improve on experience of previous designs.

Unfortunately it will be of little use to help you interpret the many drawings included in a typical monograph.I have a bit of a leg up in that respect having studied Engineering drawing at School then college from "first principles" before CAD became commonplace.I would state though that many of these Monographs would have my old Tutor cursing as they do break so many rules.An understanding of how ships went together of the particular period does help.I must stress though it needs to be of the same Nation,era and architect because of the above variations.This is not meant to put you off,just highlight what you need to be aware of.The biggest help is to pick a subject that has been built many times before.You can then look at various build logs and see how the vessel goes together.Any misinterpretations that can be made have quite often been made by someone before you.

Kind Regards

Nigel

there is a lot of books that jumps inside this area. In my opinion you don´t must study it to scratch. Its good to understand, but what you need is only a little part. The base with the three views and all the lines. Boudriot explains as well a lot of things in his documentations. If you need to make own drawings, a own construction, its a other thing. I have three pages in German that explains the drawings fast and on the point. When it helps you...? But they are from the 80´s and i have to scan it.
Much appreciated, Oliver! Unfortunately, I don't know German language as well as French, therefore no need to waste your time and scan, but again. much appreciated your offer.

I was so stupid to lend my drill that I haven't got back, result-
drill.jpg
Digital angle, from Germany, not very much extra cost, ok.
Digital angel.jpg
Drawplate from Byrnes.
Plate 25,00 usd
Transport
Total from US 35.65usd

Customs and duties to Norway 31,67usd
Total for me 67.32USD
Very expensive, but now it's here, HURRA
Byrnes (1).jpgByrnes (2).jpg

Congrats Knut.The drawplate isn't cheap after shipping customs etc but I have one and it is great.If you don't know already,the material goes through from the flat side,not the countersunk one.This is the complete opposite to a jewellers drawplate for drawing wire.

Kind Regards

Nigel

@NMBROOK

the technical terms are a problem. Documentation in english, my friends, my communication generally in german, and the good technival support from the GD-Forum in French. It´s impossible to translate the specific term correctly in three languages. More complex the parts are, more dificult is to find the correct term. To learn a language and read a technical book which has more than 300 years doesn´t will work very well. :(

@Norway

congrats to you new toy Bottle. Enjoy it .

I have purchased another toy.Sick of not being able to get proper access to sand the inside of Saint-Philippe's frames with anything motorised.Well I have to say I am very happy and does what it is supposed to.I have removed the guard for better visibility and access and put it to use about ten minutes after the courier dropped it off.Extreme care is need though,it will destroy a frame in seconds if aimed at the wrong spot even with the 150 grit sanding pad :oops:

Kind Regards

Nigelsp123.jpgsp124.jpg

@Uwek :p
The medicine journal so was to show the size from the big blue book.
The day has 24 hours. I can imagine to spend 12 hours with danish ships and 12 hours with Tianzinha. There is enough time for everything :)Thumbs-Up:p
You are now on 50% to 50% of the time - with old age the percentages are changing -> And I do not say now in which direction ;)

I wholeheartedly agree with Uwek and Oliver. Looking at the beautiful script handwriting in the book, I remember that in 1962/63 we progressed from pencils to ink pens (dip-in ink pens as opposed to fountain pens) at school and we were taught to write script, two years +- later the Bic Biro came out and that ruined the beautiful handwriting era.
Re the book, a pity there is not an English version.

Happy for you, that you got one of the copies.
Now the question is only:
What is more interesting for you? Danish ships or Thianzinha from the Playboy?
We should have time for every interest..... ;)
I am more interested in whether there is a plan for 'medicine' magazine to be reviewed here... like we normally do books review :p

I am more interested in whether there is a plan for 'medicine' magazine to be reviewed here... like we normally do books review :p
The danish book review we have here:

The other one, I will not publish ROTF

Arrieved yesterday a little envelope from Byrnes in Orlando. One plate is for my friend Herbert, the other one isn´t for Tiazinha, @Uwek, it´s for reserve.

I have to say that the support and the whole order process with Donna was very very professional and exemplary.
You can see it when the people do his job with passion and love. You can see it on the drawplate as well.
If anybody want to order, you have only to check your spamfolder. This has made problems at the beginning.
At the weekend i will do some tests with pear.

1571389736137.png

1571389774565.png

Back