Rattlesnake by MS

As I was working on the fore mast sails I realized I completely forgot to add the rigging for the main mast stay sails. So, now the halyards and downhauls installed. Now to get back to the fore mast yards and sails.

bndfgd.jpgdfvvbnd.jpgdsfghj.jpgytadj.jpg

Sheets and tacks for the fore lower course. The tacks are anchored at the bumpkin, then belayed to the smaller block at the clew back down to a block attached to the bumpkin, then belayed and secured on a cleat attached to the cat head.

Sheets are anchored on the hull just aft of the third sweep port, then belayed to the larger block at the clew of the sail, then fed through a sheave just above the anchor point.

m,aszdm.jpgvcb cvbxb.jpgxfnmbnvbvc.jpgdfghfdgm.jpgdxv,vzdszcv.jpg

I bought two rolls of this tape from a Chinese vendor. The price was about $11 per roll with about 500 individual pieces (once cut) per roll. The quality is good but definitely the rivit impression pattern and size of each piece is way more consistent than I've been able to produce for past models. Overall I'm happy with the product. About 2 hours to cut apart one roll.

View attachment 119544
What is the address for the tape. Are there different sizes that more match the ship scale. I think the real ones on the constellation were 3‘ x5’. Even on other ships I had to get belay pins smaller as the kit ones would be half the height of the sailor.

Curtis, the gun port frames are bought as is, I just painted them. The port covers are scratch built, no jig just lining up very thin strips of wood then cutting the whole thing to square. Battens on the inside, then paint.
Where did you get the gun port frame? I can make the hatch cover

Where did you get the gun port frame? I can make the hatch cover
What is the address for the tape. Are there different sizes that more match the ship scale. I think the real ones on the constellation were 3‘ x5’. Even on other ships I had to get belay pins smaller as the kit ones would be half the height of the sailor.

This is the sellers ebay store. But I'm seeing a massive reduction in her inventory from when I last shopped there. I'd suggest you hit the "contact seller" hyperlink and ask about the copper tape. It looks like she's stepped away from the business until the end of the month?

Hi Tkam,
I'm very fond of the Rattlesnake mainly because it takes me back to my childhood. My best friend's father used to build model ships and as a kid I was mesmerized by them. My favourite of his was his Rattlesnake, largely I think because of the name. I forgot the names of all his other ships, but I never forgot that one.

I built the Mamoli version. I can only compare the Mamoli kit to the MS kit by having seen several build logs of the MS version, but I would say that the methods of construction differ considerably between the two kits, but that the finished models look remarkably alike. I would love to do the MS version too, just for fun.

The Mamoli rigging instructions and plans are very specific and easy to follow, which is quite unlike the MS instructions and plans, as you have observed. I can tell from your picture that the plans for the Rattlesnake are of the same style as those for all of the MS kits I've worked on. I'm now studying the plans for my upcoming fifth MS kit (Pride of Baltimore II) and I can assure you that, as dense as they are, they are actually quite comprehensive and can be deciphered; it just takes a lot of work.

The first thing I do with them is take them to Staples and make copies. Then I can mark them up all I want, make notes on them, highlight things etc. without ruining the original set. Also, when they're printed on both sides, it's a lot easier to have separate sheets for each one.

With the rigging plans, I go over them many times and make notes. Eventually after several iterations, I distill my notes and create a set of detailed instructions for myself. I divide the process into two phases - the first is rigging the bowsprit and everything that can be attached to the other masts while still on the bench and the second phases is everything that can only be done once the masts are mounted. Here's a sample page for my upcoming Pride of Baltimore II.

View attachment 102176

It is amazing how much information MS crams onto those pages. It takes a lot of detective work to make sense of it all, and you have to jump all over the plans to put all the pieces together, referring to the inset details etc. (remember that they're usually at double the scale. I once finished a set of trestletrees and crosstrees that were twice the size I needed before I noticed!) After about two MS kits with this style of plans, you'll develop a feel for them and find them not too difficult to work with.

Another advantage to pouring over the plans several times well in advance is the frustrating fact that you will find things in there that are not included in the kit. For example, so far I have discovered that the POB II calls for 3/32" bullseyes, a couple of triple blocks, turnbuckles and many thimbles (small bullseyes). None of these is included in the kit. It takes several times pouring over the plans before I find everything, so I develop a list of the missing things and try to get it as complete as possible before placing an order.

Here's my finished Mamoli Rattlesnake. It's also 1:64.

View attachment 102177

I'm looking forward to your build of the MS version. Looks like you're off to a good start.
David
Does yours have rigging instructions that I can use on my modelexpo version the one sheet diagram does not show well where to start and where the lines end.

Thanks. I’m frustrated with mine. I tried some different planking and decking techniques. Ido like to copper the hull as it helps hide gaps. I decking I used the supplied thicker wood the kit called for. I wet them a little to snug up but areas dried with gaps. I’m at the point I ask if ME could send me new hull parts, and that’s short of getting another kit I can’t do. I’m thinking of build with out sails just to avoid rigging issues. I asked someone with a mamoli kit if they had rigging plans I could use on this ME ship. I don’t want to buy them Do you know anyone that has those plans willing to share photos of the plans?

Thanks. I’m frustrated with mine. I tried some different planking and decking techniques. Ido like to copper the hull as it helps hide gaps. I decking I used the supplied thicker wood the kit called for. I wet them a little to snug up but areas dried with gaps. I’m at the point I ask if ME could send me new hull parts, and that’s short of getting another kit I can’t do. I’m thinking of build with out sails just to avoid rigging issues. I asked someone with a mamoli kit if they had rigging plans I could use on this ME ship. I don’t want to buy them Do you know anyone that has those plans willing to share photos of the plans?
I have no ideas as I am working in a different port. :) Rich

Back