Revenge 1577 1/64 Victory Models/Amati

Oh, I forgot- I built the helmsman’s hatch also out of the kit supplied wood, but I think its too dark and I am considering building it out of Pear wood. I think it will blend with the other accents better. What do you guys think? Leave it as is as a5415CF64-76FD-45E7-ADB7-BF4D690CEC91.jpeg23991C60-E521-4DDB-9C91-0E68E022BA84.jpeg contrasting element or re build with Pear?

Oh, I forgot- I built the helmsman’s hatch also out of the kit supplied wood, but I think its too dark and I am considering building it out of Pear wood. I think it will blend with the other accents better. What do you guys think? Leave it as is as aView attachment 287011View attachment 287012 contrasting element or re build with Pear?
I think the contrast is nice. I actually like the color of stained pear wood, has a reddish brown look to it. That’s what I did on my deck furnishings on the BN. ;)

For my taste, I would change to Pear. Supplied wood as you said is too dark, and under oil will be darker.

Thanks for the input and the likes everyone, the gratings are from the kit Paul. They look pretty good once painted, at least the openings in them are really close to scale and very difficult to achieve with wood.

No they are brass, photoetch I think but could be milled, but definitely brass, what are you seeing?

Yes you are correct, on my second post I spoke about them a bit: https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/revenge-1577-1-64-victory-models-amati.8981/#post-215222
And there is a better close up of them, they are ok for a kit offering, if you were to scratch build them getting the holes the right size would be pretty difficult so that would be a compromise as well.
Interesting. Sorry I missed the earlier explanation. I think I was too in awe of your decking to pay attention to the grates.

Well thanks Dr. Paul, no need for apology, I was just taking the easy way by pointing back to that post…. I think the wood figure showing through makes the deck planking look good vs. anything that I did… :)

Hey! Dentist’s need love too! :) I figure anyone that has earned that doctorate has EARNED the title as well….

Oh, I forgot- I built the helmsman’s hatch also out of the kit supplied wood, but I think its too dark and I am considering building it out of Pear wood. I think it will blend with the other accents better. What do you guys think? Leave it as is as aView attachment 287011View attachment 287012 contrasting element or re build with Pear?
If I may throw in my 2c. The contrast is good, however I would try and achieve the same colour/stain as the grating frame. Cheers Grant

If I may throw in my 2c. The contrast is good, however I would try and achieve the same colour/stain as the grating frame. Cheers Grant
Thanks for all the input and the likes, I agree with Jimsky and Grant, especially now that I added pear accents and planking to the between decks bulkheads- so I will re build that helmsman’s hatch from pear also, here’s a look at the forward bulkhead with the all the trimmings and a shot down the fo’c’sle companion way with the ladder in place.

Grant, no, those are paper- there are a bunch of different “decals” for lack of a better word, they come in the kit for the bulkheads and the side upper hull areas. They look pretty good and actually work well, I could never paint those intricate designs….

Back