Revenge 1577 1/64 Victory Models/Amati

Richie, is the Occre 1/64 scale also?
No the Occre kit is 1/85 and it's also about half the price so I guess there is a bit of you get what you pay for.
I really like the Amati Victory kit but it wasn't in my budget at the time so I will follow your build with interest and please don't shelve this one. :)
I think the Revenge is a really nice ship and who knows one day I may also build this version.

Did a bit more work on some fiddly stuff, nice change from planking but indeed has its own set of challenges few choice expletives as well…. The instructions tell you to build and hang the rudder assy now but I think that’s just asking for some breakage and re work down the road so I’m putting that off - in fact, if I don’t worry about it being functional I can hang it near the end when it should be installed. May do that. Made a new rudder to match the wood I used for the keel and stem, was considering using pear but like the contrast of the dark wood better. I hung it temporarily to take a pic….
9E464A2C-B920-4B4D-8635-40DCBC1AE763.jpegD17A9823-60B9-4634-A359-DF543B5A0924.jpegBFCFDD6C-14F1-4D8C-9243-D9AE812A61AC.jpegMain gun battery carriages and cannon in progress, need to fit each carriage separately and make a quoin for each one as they don’t center or sit at the same depth without massaging each one… few more choice expletives! :)

Last edited:
Richie I haven’t gotten an Occre kit yet but I think they are a great value and lend themselves to kit bashing very well, the Victory line from Amati are nice and beautifully furnished, but I still end up replacing a lot of wood to reflect my preferences so I am intrigued by good, basic kits with sound engineering and ok materials- but one thing that sets the better kits apart is the documentation and that’s really helpful if you want to kit bash…. I’ll have to look in on your log brother….

Richie I haven’t gotten an Occre kit yet but I think they are a great value and lend themselves to kit bashing very well, the Victory line from Amati are nice and beautifully furnished, but I still end up replacing a lot of wood to reflect my preferences so I am intrigued by good, basic kits with sound engineering and ok materials- but one thing that sets the better kits apart is the documentation and that’s really helpful if you want to kit bash…. I’ll have to look in on your log brother….
Thanks Stargazer, yes Occre is a great value kit and they standby their product with great support. I would be interested in comparing the rigging diagrams as I think the Occre version is somewhat simplified and I think lacks a bit of detail.

Another epic build being skilfully conducted, makes me feel like a right klump!

Thanks guys, appreciate the comments, nice to have the support of fellow modelers, keeps the motivation going!

Thanks Stargazer, yes Occre is a great value kit and they standby their product with great support. I would be interested in comparing the rigging diagrams as I think the Occre version is somewhat simplified and I think lacks a bit of detail.
I don’t think there is much comparison, the Amati kit has 20 sheets of plans, they are about 20x27 inches, 15 of which are rigging plans! I took a quick pic of one of them (2 pics sorry for the crap images…) it breaks the rigging into several smaller manageable steps, that hopefully build from the interior out, but I won5 know till I get there…. 193925DE-E1D4-4E0A-87C6-55FA1C2AD875.jpeg96A45FFF-D1CA-479A-93EB-C4B0F2C783D8.jpeg

So I have been working the cannon carriages placement for the main deck, they want you to glue the carriages in place and install the cannons through the ports later, I decide to put a screw though the carriages into the deck below for insurance… they aren’t going anywhere now…. I put a little paint on the screw head so you can’t see it if you look in the ports later….6098D8E9-B721-4C66-A4F7-EC40F0D7623E.jpeg801FED44-2D6D-41B6-89D1-7E451257B27F.jpeg31991857-D664-40EF-9CA2-E03A29EF85D3.jpeg

So I have been working the cannon carriages placement for the main deck, they want you to glue the carriages in place and install the cannons through the ports later, I decide to put a screw though the carriages into the deck below for insurance… they aren’t going anywhere now…. I put a little paint on the screw head so you can’t see it if you look in the ports later….View attachment 283682View attachment 283683View attachment 283684
Wow! I should have thought of that! What a fantastic idea to secure the carriages to the deck!

So I was hoping to start building one of my POF kits from CAF but I have a couple models that I have already started and I know I should really work on them before starting another one :( I also have the Yuanqing Bluenose in work so I guess I need to work on my discipline and finish something before starting a new build…. I hate discipline!!! :)
I started this kit in early 2020, it’s a very nice kit, good wood selection, lots of construction plans, awesome rigging plans, and a color booklet of pictorial instructions. I have had some issues with the bulkhead uprights (extensions) breaking, so care needs to be taken when rotating the model for planking.
Hallo @Stargazer
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back