Roter Löwe 1597 by Ondras71 - scala 1/60

Wow!! That is an incredible build. I can't wait to see the rest of it. What lessons to be learned!

In Progress:
Mayflower, Ertl, 1/70

A very clever idea with the using of the burr before cutting the knees out :cool:

I like your third hand. The tool you use to hold the elbows under the cutter.
Wow!! That is an incredible build. I can't wait to see the rest of it. What lessons to be learned!

In Progress:
Mayflower, Ertl, 1/70
I like your build because it's super clean with nice details.
Final result will be great for sure ;)

Cheers,
Matt
A very clever idea with the using of the burr before cutting the knees out :cool:
Thank you for the likes and for the kind words. I try to catch up with the art and experience of other members!! :)

Channels waxed ..

navoskované channels. (1).JPG

navoskované channels. (4).JPG

navoskované channels. (3).JPG

navoskované channels. (5).JPG

Next in line is a balcony..

šablona balkónu (1).JPG

šablona balkónu (2).JPG

šablona balkónu (3).JPG

ohýbání podlahy balkónu.JPG

Thank you very much for your wishes, maybe I can build a few more models !! ROTF Thanks for the like!

I have been thinking for a long time about finishing the connection of the front stem according to Witsen..

spoj vazu Witsen.png

Replica of Barents' ship..

Bárentsova loď 1594.jpg

So I added it. The cuts were made with a 0.15 mm thick razor saw, and 0.09 mm black paper was placed..

doplnění spoje vazu.. (1).JPG

doplnění spoje vazu.. (2).JPG

doplnění spoje vazu.. (4).JPG

Klinkbout will be added after grinding..

doplnění spoje vazu.. (5).JPG

doplnění spoje vazu.. (6).JPG

And now really a balcony..:)

Thanks for the like!:)

Created the basis of the balcony. Knee production combined with the production of knees under the aft deck..

výroba kolen pod balkon (2).JPG

I was milling my knees. I made a milling machine from a nail. According to the Russian style, which works..

první frézka z hřebíku.JPG

výroba kolen pod balkon (1).JPG

výroba kolen pod balkon (3).JPG

The boat went up the keel for the last time. Knees located..

kolena pod balkónem (1).JPG

Before waxing..

kolena pod balkónem (3).JPG

kolena pod balkónem (4).JPG

kolena pod balkónem (5).JPG

kolena pod balkónem (6).JPG

I'm thinking of putting the railing down at the end of the hull, it will be fragile..Sleep:eek:

Thank you very much Jim, Mati, Stephan!! I appreciate your words.:);)

So far, I've just waxed the balcony..

navoskovaný balkon (3).JPG

navoskovaný balkon (2).JPG

navoskovaný balkon (4).JPG

navoskovaný balkon (5).JPG

I prepared beams for catheads. I will be the first to make the most demanding. Faces on foreheads..
:default_wallbash:
The first is rough. He starts to smile..
:D

hlavy na krakorcích. (2).JPG

Thanks for the like!:)

The production of ornaments began ... My plan was to first try to sculpt the wood and, if that didn't work, to create the sculptures out of clay.
I started with wood and ....... it works..ROTF

Catheads foreheads first created. Here's the face..

hlavy krakorců a  sloupků Chesstree (1).JPG

And when it worked, I continued with the already prepared Chesstree posts..

hlavy krakorců a  sloupků Chesstree (2).JPG

hlavy krakorců a  sloupků Chesstree (3).JPG

hlavy krakorců a  sloupků Chesstree (4).JPG

Thank you all very much! :)

Adjusted cannons according to historical background. The cannons of the plan are unreliable. Here the cannons of Batavia..
View attachment 133841

Gun barrel from 1609..
View attachment 133847

In combination with the Dutch lafette..

View attachment 133848
View attachment 133846

Manufacture of cannons..
View attachment 133840View attachment 133842View attachment 133843View attachment 133844View attachment 133845
She is a "portly lady" isn't she. Made beautiful through your skills Ondras. Wonderful work! Thank you for sharing her with us all.

I have two questions, if you'd be kind enough to share;

1) What wax is it you are using on the hull, and is the wax the last coat of "protection" you use?

2) This is more about history of the Batavia. In the picture of the two guns in post #23, I noticed the guns' breeches are resting on a horizontal support. Do you know how they changed the elevation of the guns? Or did the naval tactics of the day just dictate they get close enough to their opponent that elevation was not a variable? Sorry, but my brain needs to understand everything. It's a blessing AND a curse.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. And than you again for sharing your masterful work.

Cheers,
Ken

Last edited:
She is a "portly lady" isn't she. Made beautiful through your skills Ondras. Wonderful work! Thank you for sharing her with us all.

I have two questions, if you'd be kind enough to share;

1) What wax is it you are using on the hull, and is the wax the last coat of "protection" you use?

2) This is more about history of the Batavia. In the picture of the two guns in post #23, I noticed the guns' breeches are resting on a horizontal support. Do you know how they changed the elevation of the guns? Or did the naval tactics of the day just dictate they get close enough to their opponent that elevation was not a variable? Sorry, but my brain needs to understand everything. It's a blessing AND a curse.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. And than you again for sharing your masterful work.

Cheers,
Ken
Greetings and thank you for the nice words. :)

To question 1. I use waterproof wax for furniture restorers. It is suitable for floors and damp rooms. The wax soaks deep into the wood and is the last protection. This wax is not marked on the manufacturer's packaging, but according to the price it is of high quality. It was recommended to me by the Czech modeler Petr Šimek, he has been working with it for many years.

To question 2. I found the same beam in a photo of works from the Vasa Museum. In my opinion, just a transport support..

lafeta Vasa.jpg

For firing, the barrel had to be supplemented with a wedge, or according to the height of the space by two. Here is a Danish carriage from the Tøjhusmuseets in Copenhagen..

Dánské muzeum.jpg

Thank you Ondras for your speedy response and answering my questions. The breech supports make perfect sense. I have no idea why I even noticed them and understand quoins were used in that period to change the elevation of the guns and happy to see that is again reaffirmed.

Thank you and please continue on with your wonderful work.

Cheers,
Ken.

Very nice work! I love the finish with the wax you are using. I've been using WATCO Danish wood oil but think I'll look into the wax you are using, for a final sealing coat. Thanks for sharing our wonderful build!

Back