Saint-Philippe 1693-POF to the Monograph by Jean-Claude Lemineur by NMBrook-1/36

I have dropped lucky in the Epoxy had gone rock hard after a few hours.Thought it would take longer as it is cold in the workshop.

I removed the assembly and brought it into the house(wife has gone to bed ;) ) On the front face I cut a trough on two sides around each Cathead using a burr,this will be covered by the planking later.
The yellow stuff is mouldmakers wax.I have used this to form a dam at the edges of the bulkhead for the next step.Using a Pipette I added Epoxy finishing resin into each trough.This has a 3hour cure time and is thin enough to flow around the Cathead forming a solid bond between the Catheads and bulkhead.
I adopted this approach because traditional glue would never have remained in the joints whilst I manipulated the three items into position in the bow.Due to capillary reaction the resin has seeped around all the tiny gaps between the parts.

Kind Regards

Nigel

sp355.jpgsp356.jpgsp357.jpgsp358.jpgsp359.jpgsp360.jpgsp361.jpg

Great progress Nigel, great indeed! Thanks for the tip about this glue.

;)
Btw Nigel, GB only has got these saisons:
Permafall
Beforewinter
Midwinter
Afterwinter

this is the reason why the RN was orderd and tryed so hard to keep America and Australia as long British for their holydays as possible...
;)

Last edited:
this mono was on my to get list then the dang cancer surgery came up, so now any books or plans are gone for a while til bills caught up.

nice project looks beautiful

Hi Joseph

Thankyou,the important thing is that you are OK,Saint Philippe is a very nice project and hope you can get the Monograph in the not too distant future.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Then summer is over and you have now enough time for schipbuildingROTF
What was the reason for your last step with the Epoxy? Did you cut to much wood away?

Hi Christian

No if anything the joints were too good a fit.It took half an hour of manipulating to be able to assemble the three parts,it is almost like a puzzle.If I put glue on first,PVA would have dried up by that time and reduced bond strength.I could have used 24 hour epoxy but it would have covered everything and made a right mess by the time I had finished.I was trying to get a slacker fit on the front that is unplanked but it was tight hence the channels I cut with the burr.

The only way to assemble the three parts with glue would be off the model,far too many critical things going on here for me to even attempt to make a jig to do it.Using the hull as the jig guaranteed it fits.Now I have removed the temporary rear support it now slots in and out with relative ease.

Kind Regards

Nigel

My carvings landed yesterday from Poland and all I can say is I bowled over seeing them in the flesh.I am ok at carving myself but never in my wildest dreams could I produce something like this.I have decided to focus on my strengths and let others help out where I am not so good.I know several Competition medal winners where the builder has had a little"outside"assistance.No names,no packdrill etc,etc.I do plan on doing some myself,but this is more with items that really need to be built to fit the model.
So hats off to you Kris and SZKUTNIK,you have done a fabulous job and look forward to sending more orders your way.My wife is even amazed which helps when it comes to paying for these parts;)Normally she shows little interest in my hobbyROTF
Ok the pictures show the figurehead which is like the rest of the model BIG and also the trailboard carving.This is in two halves to bond together.Kris left these in the billet for protection in transport.
All I need to do know is find the other Ebony piece I made for the Prow so I can assemble this area,yes I put it in a safe place,just can't remember where.....:rolleyes:

Kind Regards

Nigel

sp362.jpgsp363.jpgsp364.jpgsp365.jpgsp366.jpgsp367.jpg

CNC has changed a lot for the better lately. Now it can produce such crevices, undercuts etc. which was not possible before. And I assume it also became less expensive. I, personally, prefer manual carving though.
János

CNC has changed a lot for the better lately. Now it can produce such crevices, undercuts etc. which was not possible before. And I assume it also became less expensive. I, personally, prefer manual carving though.
János

Janos yes I know mate
I have replied to this discussion on said Facebook group after a certain rude member had wound me up and now he is shut up:mad:I cannot carve anymore to any great extent.I attempted the carving on the trailboard and struggled due to the loss of feeling I now suffer.
As I mentioned to you a good while back when I was working on SOTS,I had been diagnosed with Carpal and Cubicle tunnel in both wrists and elbows and also Hand Arm Vibration Syndrome due to 25 years in heavy industry.I hoped that it had improved since I got off the tools but it hasn't.There are operations and a lot of my friends have had them only for the condition to return in a couple of years.Bottom line is I cannot hold any tool for any length of time like I would when carving.
For me with these conditions CNC is a godsend,otherwise this model would be bare of it's carvings.The downside is the realisation that Sovereign will stay as she is.Eight years ago I thought I would have to give this hobby up.I have managed to work around my issues with many aspects of building but carving is a stumbling block now.I could build a vessel devoid of carvings but they offer less attraction to me.I will force myself to do some of the carvings,I will struggle,but at least I can say I have done some.
This reply goes against my Character,I am not a moaner I just get on with it.So going forward I shall not mention this again and just get on with modelling:)
Kind Regards

Nigel

Last edited:
Thanks, Nigel
I am sorry to read about your troubles but I have to tell you they seemingly don't cause any problem with your modelling. (Obviously we can't see the effort behind the result). I would be very happy if I could come even close to the quality of work which you regularly produce... But everyone has his own limitations and we can't step over ourselves.
Having put SoS aside for the moment I cut into the Soleil Royal stern-model (see it in the other thread). Currently I am working on the hull and it will take a while. I don't want to repeat my own error in doing carvings prematurely so I force myself working on the hull and only on the hull. My usual European Boxwoos supplier gave up due to some serious infection at the growing area so among others I am also looking for some good EBW, but it is very difficult to find.
János

Yo también prefiero el tallado manual, aunque la calidad no sea ni por asomo como en el cnc, pienso que si una persona se embarca a construir un buque de manera artesanal tiene que ser de esa manera, se pueden fabricar muchas piezas con fresadoras de todo tipo, pero las tallas deberían hacerse siempre a mano de la mejor manera que pueda uno. De todas formas no dejan de ser una maravilla

Last edited:
Janos yes I know mate
I have replied to this discussion on said Facebook group after a certain rude member had wound me up and now he is shut up:mad:I cannot carve anymore to any great extent.I attempted the carving on the trailboard and struggled due to the loss of feeling I now suffer.
As I mentioned to you a good while back when I was working on SOTS,I had been diagnosed with Carpal and Cubicle tunnel in both wrists and elbows and also Hand Arm Vibration Syndrome due to 25 years in heavy industry.I hoped that it had improved since I got off the tools but it hasn't.There are operations and a lot of my friends have had them only for the condition to return in a couple of years.Bottom line is I cannot hold any tool for any length of time like I would when carving.
For me with these conditions CNC is a godsend,otherwise this model would be bare of it's carvings.The downside is the realisation that Sovereign will stay as she is.Eight years ago I thought I would have to give this hobby up.I have managed to work around my issues with many aspects of building but carving is a stumbling block now.I could build a vessel devoid of carvings but they offer less attraction to me.I will force myself to do some of the carvings,I will struggle,but at least I can say I have done some.
This reply goes against my Character,I am not a moaner I just get on with it.So going forward I shall not mention this again and just get on with modelling:)
Kind Regards

Nigel
Hi Nigel,
It is mainly about the fun you have in building, and reading your blogs that doesn't seem to be an issue. Secondly it is offcourse about the result, and I should say the majority can only dream about your results. So in the end you will have a breath taking model and a lot of fun.
PS maybe you can start cnc your own carvings but offcourse that comes with a lot of hours behind the PC and that is what holding me back from it at the moment.

I have to agree with both of you gentlemen. Fabricating your own parts - is all about a scratch building, and what made to be most happy. However, some times, you opt for the aftermarket parts because they are of better quality than you can make your own. For example, I bought RB cannon barrels just because I don't have a metal lathe to make my own. Can I try to cast? Probably...yes...but I don't know-how and don't have a place to try. My shipyard is my workplace in a small room...

Rabbet timeROTF
I bought a laminate trimmer in one of the Aldi offers solely for this purpose.The rabbet will be somewhat simplified in the horizontal(ish) area of the keel.This is due to the fact I will be fitting a few planks either side of the keel on the lower hull.Personally I feel no need to go the pain of creating the transitions of this groove when a plank edge will cover it given the rabbet is over 1.5 metres long.
On to cutting the curved section at the front.Firstly I bought a Trend 60 degree V bit.This nearly cost as much as the trimmer:rolleyes:
I next traced the line of the rabbet from the plan and then marked a new curve half of the width of the trimmers base inside the rabbet line.This was then glued to some scrap ply and the shape cut out.
This template was then screwed to the bench and the keel clamped down to the bench with the correct dimensional relationship between them.The rabbet was then cut very slowly ensuring the trimmer base was hard against the template at all times.I didn't go all the way to the main Rabbet.The last bit will be cut with a scalpel to avoid any mishaps.The pictures,I feel,are fairly self explanatory.

Kind Regards

Nigel

View attachment 140103View attachment 140104View attachment 140105View attachment 140106View attachment 140107
Can you please give me the size of this trimmer? This one looks rather small (what is better) in comparison to the ones available in a DIY-shop.

Can you please give me the size of this trimmer? This one looks rather small (what is better) in comparison to the ones available in a DIY-shop.

Gino I will post some details for you over the weekend.These are quite often marketed as Palm routers.Diy routers have got bigger and are unnecessary unless you are building a massive boat taking large cuts.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Back