Saint-Philippe 1693-POF to the Monograph by Jean-Claude Lemineur by NMBrook-1/36

Just a small update.
Three sides of the carving are now framed in Veneer but I have hit a wall.I have spent more time searching than building this weekend but cannot find my other Ebony section of the Prow.I propose just to hang fire until I find that "safe place" I put it.I am reluctant to remake as this would be a full 3 days work and I know it will turn up as soon as I have made a replacement:mad:

Kind Regards

Nigel

sp375.jpg

Just a small update.
Three sides of the carving are now framed in Veneer but I have hit a wall.I have spent more time searching than building this weekend but cannot find my other Ebony section of the Prow.I propose just to hang fire until I find that "safe place" I put it.I am reluctant to remake as this would be a full 3 days work and I know it will turn up as soon as I have made a replacement:mad:

Kind Regards

Nigel

View attachment 157708
Funny thing how things appear and disappear, particularly in ship modelling :). If I could, I would make models in a bath tub. Gorgeous work as always. Thanks.

HI NIGEL SEE IF YOU CAN FIND MY EXACTO KNIFE MY FAVORITE ONE MAYBE IT LANDED 3,000 MILES AWAY LOL, SPEAKING OF KNIVES YOU SHOW ONE LOOKS LIKE A CMBANATION OF SCAPL AND NO.11 BLADE WHERE DID YOU GET IT. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE DON

I found out if I start looking for something else I don't need, the item I really want is found easier, because your not looking for it and it comes out from hiding.....

HI NIGEL SEE IF YOU CAN FIND MY EXACTO KNIFE MY FAVORITE ONE MAYBE IT LANDED 3,000 MILES AWAY LOL, SPEAKING OF KNIVES YOU SHOW ONE LOOKS LIKE A CMBANATION OF SCAPL AND NO.11 BLADE WHERE DID YOU GET IT. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE DON

Hi Don tell what number the post is and I will look at the pic and give you the answer.I mainly use large scalpel handle and small handle scalpel occasionally.It will be a different blade number

Kind Regards

Nigel

My solution to the problem of small tools maliciously hiding themselves is to have several of everything and even that doesn’t always work it is as if they must recognise each other and decide to hide together. I agree, pretend you are not looking and they will soon get bored.

Nigel, Extraordinary work thank you for sharing it, re putting things in a safe place I am ashamed to admit that I bought that angling plate for a Byrnes saw sometime ago and put it in a safe place, that I have now spent hours looking for this is playing with my mind, like did I really buy it ? or did I just plan on buying it ?
Your beautiful piece of wood will reveal itself when it’s good and ready. Best, Tony

Nigel, Extraordinary work thank you for sharing it, re putting things in a safe place I am ashamed to admit that I bought that angling plate for a Byrnes saw sometime ago and put it in a safe place, that I have now spent hours looking for this is playing with my mind, like did I really buy it ? or did I just plan on buying it ?
Your beautiful piece of wood will reveal itself when it’s good and ready. Best, Tony

Cheers Tony
I have two weeks holiday booked end of August.I plan on sorting workshop out and moving some of my stash into the loft.In the process I might start a thread with pictures “is my stash to big?”ROTFHopefully item will surface then if not before

Kind Regards

Nigel

HI NIGEL I THINK THE POST NO. IS SP372.JPG, I GUESS THAT ISIT IT IS THE ONE SHOWING THE LATTICE WORK BEING FITTED I DO NOT KNOW HOW ELSE TO GET THE ITEM NO. THAT IS JUST WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR IN A KNIFE/BLADE/SCAPEL NEED A LINK. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE DON

HI NIGEL I THINK THE POST NO. IS SP372.JPG, I GUESS THAT ISIT IT IS THE ONE SHOWING THE LATTICE WORK BEING FITTED I DO NOT KNOW HOW ELSE TO GET THE ITEM NO. THAT IS JUST WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR IN A KNIFE/BLADE/SCAPEL NEED A LINK. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE DON
Is this the one, Don?

1592268352258.png

Don, you need the blade handle # 4

and blades # 26

I fancied a change of tack this weekend but still moving in the right direction.Start of keel construction.After milling a stack of Pear and Ebony to the correct thickness billets I have started on the main keel scarph joints.I have taken pics of the process to show how I cut these in this large scale.The keel is 12.2mm wide by 13.5mm high.
After marking out the front slope is cut rough on the bandsaw.I then employ many cuts up to the pencil line again using the bandsaw.With waste broken away the face is then shaved using a scalpel with the piece in a vice.The nose of the scarph is then trimmed to final shape on the disc sander.
The final picture shows the joint glued together with Epoxy and clamped up in the vice whilst the glue sets.The timber is patchy as I have cleaned the excess glue off with a alcohol wipe.

Kind Regards

Nigel

View attachment 117537View attachment 117538View attachment 117540View attachment 117541View attachment 117542View attachment 117543View attachment 117544View attachment 117545View attachment 117546
Can you please explain me what is the benefit of this tactic instead of doing it with a milling machine?

Some of us don't have all the nice machines in our shop YET! I milling machine and lathe are next on my to get list for home shop.

Some of us don't have all the nice machines in our shop YET! I milling machine and lathe are next on my to get list for home shop.
Nigel has a milling machine... as far as I can see, but he's doing this new trick and I would like to know why the one is better than the other.
@ Nigel: what an example UR... I will follow you very closely Thumbsup

Don
I use
Can you please explain me what is the benefit of this tactic instead of doing it with a milling machine?
Gino
If I could have go it in the milling machine I would have.The parts are so long they would have hit the workbench due to the angled cut or have to be clamped way up high over the mill bed.
I can change the column angle of the mill but this would mean trying to line up each pass on an angle.
In short,this bit easier in the vice by hand

Kind Regards

Nigel

Back