Saint-Philippe 1693-POF to the Monograph by Jean-Claude Lemineur by NMBrook-1/36

Hello Nigel,
how are you progressing with your nail production ? I'm thinking of trying to make nails myself.
Hi Brian

Not done any lately as I don’t need any immediately.It did put a little more pressure on with the knife when rolling.Twice as fast same result so I know for next time

Regards

Nigel

Hello Nigel, I always struggle to make a rounded head, especially with thin wire (0.4 ~ 0.5). What is the optimum angle for the cutting tool?

yea On our planes we used to make them also with glue drops but since you wont really be painting the wood also the wood will suck the glue not allowing it to dome head good. we also used to use Fabric Pins the head of the pin made nice ones but they more for larger projects

Nigel,
did you sharpen the knife, or using it straight from the kitchen drawer ? Looks like an un-serrated butter knife to me.
Brian
It is a small chopping knife.I reshaped the blade then reground the edge on the disc sander.I am at work,I will post a sketch of the blade angles when I get up this afternoon

Regards

Nigel

Hi Brian and Jim

I ground the blade straight first,this makes for a more natural angle when rolling.This blade started out with a curved cutting edge.The cutting edge was then ground flat,i.e.90 degrees to the blade face.This meant the "cutting edge" was to grind from scratch.Note the blade thickness on the cutting edge is around 0.5mm.Any thicker and I would have ground the face down to reduce thickness.

I ground the cutting edges at 45 degrees each side.Note this does not want to be sharp.The blade must have a dull edge.You are not in effect cutting,you are forming a radial groove,the burrs from which form your nail heads.

The fact you are not getting the proper heads formed Jim makes me think that either the angles are too steep or the blade too sharp.

I did do a sketch,photographed it and emailed it to myself,but for now it seems to be lost in cyber ether.That and the fact my second laptop battery is on it's way out and only lasts 5 minutes if not plugged into the mains.The reason why I haven't and won't be around as often until I replace my computer.I look at the forum on my Iphone but posting is not so easy with fat numb fingersROTF

Kind Regards

Nigel

Hi Gino

Dave Stevens has covered it before in parts in some of his posts, as to whether a book is available,I do not know, perhaps post a question in the book section?I have not utilised Hahn's way of making frames,I am only borrowing his practice of extending frames upward to a common height to enable them to be mounted upside down in a jig.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Ist the Han way just extending the frames plus making rectangular boards and glueing them together to get your joints then cutting out the frames? just a way so you dont have to make little pieces

Hello Everyone

First a little bit of an introductory post.I always had a passion for the ornately decorated warships of "The Sun King".I did build Sergal's Soleil Royal many years ago.I possessed a desire to build one of these vessels with much more detail and accuracy than the Sergal offering.The L'Ambiteaux monograph appealed but had been long out of print in English at the time I discovered her in Bernard Frolich's amazing book "The Art of Shipmodelling".So the idea just sat on the backburner for many years.Very little information was available on these great ships.
Last year,everything changed in that the L'Ambiteaux monograph was reprinted but I held off buying a copy.We have been living in a rented house after I relocated for work four years ago.I had lost the insulated workshop I once had where we lived previously.I currently have a small garage now,but it is damp and didn't fancy the notion of trying to build a plank on frame model on the kitchen table.
At the beginning of this year everything looked to change.We are in the process of buying a brand new house.It has a large integrated garage which should not be overly cold nor will it be damp.This came just after the new release of Jean-Claude Lemineur's new Monograph.The Saint-Philippe to me is much more of a ornate vessel than L'Ambiteaux,more like that of Le Soleil Royal.I am certain that a Soleil Royal 1669 monograph will never appear,little information exists on her design.
What I hope to do with this log is to start at the very beginning.It will be several months before I have settled into my new workshop.I will start with the vessel's history in brief followed by scale selection.I will then look at tool selection,what I will and will not require to buy for the new workshop in order to build this model.Finally before I make sawdust, I will discuss some of the unique design aspects of this vessel and how I propose to get around them.
As a final note,I do have various 'kit builds' on the go.It is my intention to carry on with these in tandem with this build.These are things I can work away at in a hobby room in the house and at times of night,when it may not be advisable to fire up wood working machinery or just when I have the odd hour to spare.I do anticipate this to be a very long build and may be the only one of this nature I do in my lifetime.

Kind Regards

Nigel
Hallo Nigel,
we wish you all the BEst and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back