Saint-Philippe 1693-POF to the Monograph by Jean-Claude Lemineur by NMBrook-1/36

Hello Nigel,

I finally received a log update from you in my email, and I thought: “Awesome! Let’s see what Nigel has been up to!”

When I clicked the link, I was completely astonished to realize that you were already up to page 29 of your log! I haven’t received updates since page 15, when I was last active on your log. This is baffling because I regularly scan my trash files, because MSW posts sometimes get re-directed there. I have not seen your posts in the trash. I don’t understand what that is all about.

Anyway, I am sorry for my absence, but this has not been intentional by any means. Ironically, and after all, it was your log that inspired me to join SOS.

So, I have some catching up to do, and this is a welcome distraction, as I am so completely exhausted from the 24/7 TRUMP news-cycle.

Scanning through the pictures, as I scrolled back the pages, I can see that the quality of your work has only improved from your initial dizzying heights! I look forward to catching up.

And a very Happy Birthday to you, Sir!

All the best,

- Marc

Referring to an earlier discussion on this thread just coincidently I had to make recently a few dozens of small brass 'nails' from 0.5 mm brass wire. I did not use a table knife (better keeping the peace) but I made the blade using the side edge of a medium size carving blade. The edge is ground straight then trimmed by about 45 deg on each side, making sure that the edge itself still has to be flat, ie. not sharp. The length of the blade is just about 20 mm long so 5-6 rolls are needed to create the head. From the 0.5 mm the head of the nail ends up being about 0.65 - 0.7 mm in diameter which is OK for holes drilled with a 0.6 mm drill bit. I am going to use these nails for the gunport hinges of my Le Soleil Royal stern model.
If memory serves me right this method had been published by a Russian modeller first a few years ago on MSW.
János

I’ve caught up, now, and I have to say - you are making a very quick ascent up the Mt. Rushmore of ship modelers. The care and attention of your work matches that of Amalio’s Montanes, and Georgio’s Fleuron, and Andre Kudin’s Fleuron, among many other accomplished builders on MSW and SOS. As a first-time, fully scratch builder, your precocious talent reminds me of Marc Yeu’s Soleil Royal. The work is just really that magnificent, IMO.

I quite literally feel your elbow and wrist pain, as in recent years I have developed the same problem in both elbows and wrists. My mitigation strategies involve a series of stretches that purportedly “floss” the nerves through the cubital tunnel of the elbow; stretching the nerve and easing adhesions. I’m not sure how effective that is, but it seems to help, if I remember to do them once or twice a day.

Then, of course, there are the night time braces: both wrists and elbows. Every night that I come to bed, I feel like the aftermath of some kind of industrial accident - really inspiring for my wife. What I really want is for Tony Iommi to be riffing Iron Man, every night, when I come to bed! That’ll keep the blood flowing for all involved. With the magic of CDs, this can be arranged!

All that aside, though, the stretching and braces have seemed to mostly eliminate the tingling and numbness in my hands. It comes back, somewhat, when I’m in a long carving jag for days on end.

I’m not sure what the answer is, exactly, but I will definitely say that carving services like the one you have contracted can be an invaluable assist for projects like this, where the sheer volume of ornament is a bit overwhelming.

You’re doing a fantastic job, so don’t sweat the haters!

Last edited:
Referring to an earlier discussion on this thread just coincidently I had to make recently a few dozens of small brass 'nails' from 0.5 mm brass wire. I did not use a table knife (better keeping the peace) but I made the blade using the side edge of a medium size carving blade. The edge is ground straight then trimmed by about 45 deg on each side, making sure that the edge itself still has to be flat, ie. not sharp. The length of the blade is just about 20 mm long so 5-6 rolls are needed to create the head. From the 0.5 mm the head of the nail ends up being about 0.65 - 0.7 mm in diameter which is OK for holes drilled with a 0.6 mm drill bit. I am going to use these nails for the gunport hinges of my Le Soleil Royal stern model.
If memory serves me right this method had been published by a Russian modeller first a few years ago on MSW.
János
Hello Janos, if you have a picture of the knife you made, please post so we can get a better idea. many Thanks!

János

Hi Janos,yes 45 degrees each side and a dull edge is the key.Alexey Domanoff published the article on MSW a while back.I believe Dr Mike first came up with the technique and passed it on to Alexey.

Kind Regards

Nigel

I’ve caught up, now, and I have to say - you are making a very quick ascent up the Mt. Rushmore of ship modelers. The care and attention of your work matches that of Amalio’s Montanes, and Georgio’s Fleuron, and Andre Kudin’s Fleuron, among many other accomplished builders on MSW and SOS. As a first-time, fully scratch builder, your precocious talent reminds me of Marc Yeu’s Soleil Royal. The work is just really that magnificent, IMO.

I quite literally feel your elbow and wrist pain, as in recent years I have developed the same problem in both elbows and wrists. My mitigation strategies involve a series of stretches that purportedly “floss” the nerves through the cubital tunnel of the elbow; stretching the nerve and easing adhesions. I’m not sure how effective that is, but it seems to help, if I remember to do them once or twice a day.

Then, of course, there are the night time braces: both wrists and elbows. Every night that I come to bed, I feel like the aftermath of some kind of industrial accident - really inspiring for my wife. What I really want is for Tony Iommi to be riffing Iron Man, every night, when I come to bed! That’ll keep the blood flowing for all involved. With the magic of CDs, this can be arranged!

All that aside, though, the stretching and braces have seemed to mostly eliminate the tingling and numbness in my hands. It comes back, somewhat, when I’m in a long carving jag for days on end.

I’m not sure what the answer is, exactly, but I will definitely say that carving services like the one you have contracted can be an invaluable assist for projects like this, where the sheer volume of ornament is a bit overwhelming.

You’re doing a fantastic job, so don’t sweat the haters!

Thank you again Marc for your kind comments.I remember when Marc Yeu's Soleil first went public on the Russian forum.He suffered some initial trials and tribulations but then posted some amazing work and continues to do so.It was his model that Alexey Banarov first developed the Soleil Royal artillery for, which are now available in different scales.

I used to wear wrist braces but the tingling has mostly disappeared.The Carpal and Cubital tunnel could be temporarily relieved with operations but it does come back.I had Cortisone injections in both wrists, but that only provided some relief for a fortnight or so.

The Hand Arm Vibration `Syndrome is the incurable biggest issue.This has reduced the blood supply to my fingers and has removed a lot of the sensitivity.If I do cut myself with the scalpel, the first I realise is the blood, most of the time I don't feel the knife going in.There is a great deal less blood due to the reduced circulation.

Kind Regards

Nigel

That’s a terrible thing - the loss of sensation. I’m glad that you have been able to find some relief. Hopefully, you’ll have some enjoyable shop-time, while on vacation.

Do you, by chance, have a link to Marc’s build on the Russian Forum? He only posts on MSW very sporadically. I would love to see whether he has made additional headway.

That’s a terrible thing - the loss of sensation. I’m glad that you have been able to find some relief. Hopefully, you’ll have some enjoyable shop-time, while on vacation.

Do you, by chance, have a link to Marc’s build on the Russian Forum? He only posts on MSW very sporadically. I would love to see whether he has made additional headway.

Hi Marc here is the link;

Kind Regards

Nigel

Back