Saint-Philippe 1693-POF to the Monograph by Jean-Claude Lemineur by NMBrook-1/36

Thanks guys

Shiplover anything so much as a chair and I will spend all my time "thinking" and not doingROTF

Janos,don't worry the fridge is first left out of the backdoor;)

Scary thing nobody has commented on and just noticed myself.Look at the size of the Saint Philippe plan compared to that of the ladders:rolleyes::rolleyes:ROTF

Kind Regards

Nigel
I saw the stack of frames and said to myself: oh my...

Thanks guys

Shiplover anything so much as a chair and I will spend all my time "thinking" and not doingROTF

Janos,don't worry the fridge is first left out of the backdoor;)

Scary thing nobody has commented on and just noticed myself.Look at the size of the Saint Philippe plan compared to that of the ladders:rolleyes::rolleyes:ROTF

Kind Regards

Nigel

No worries, Nigel, we all understand that the drawing on the wall is just a decreased size and the model will be much bigger than that!
János

Only now have I taken the time to follow your construction site. I cannot add any other words to the praise that has already been said. But I can tell you that for me, and perhaps for others, this would be the limit / level I would like to reach. I don't think I'll ever get there, but I want you to know that THIS IS THE REASON, THE GOAL that I would like to achieve. Sincere congratulations for everything.

Thankyou Enzo for your kind words. I would say though, I have only scratched the surface on this project, many mountains to climb, many obstacles to overcome.

Five years ago, I probably never imagined tackling something as ambitious as this and I can honestly say if the web had never been invented I would not have any of the skills to tackle this.

It is only through following the work of others that I have learnt some of the skills to work on a build like this.We all learn from one another and together we have the opportunity to grow as modellers if we so desire.

It is good to have a goal, but don't doubt yourself, just study the work of others further down the modelling road and you may surprise yourself ;)

Kind Regards

Nigel

Finally after a larger than planned sabbatical I am back making dust.I will let the pics do most of the talking.Frame construction is continuing with joining the futtocks for the rear face of the frames together then milling the mortices after first drafting their positions on the framing plans.
This is a very slow process but as I used the bow area as my learning curve, I am trying to gain some momentum by doing various stages and several frames at the same time.
Incidentally the orange marks on the side elevation of the framing plan indicate positions of further movement joints in the structure to counteract changes in humidity as this thing is BIG

Kind Regards

Nigel

IMG_0166.jpgIMG_0167.jpgIMG_0168.jpgIMG_0169.jpg

Thanks everyone for the welcome back.

All seven frames are now morticed (the number on each framing drawing).

Not to let the dust settle, I had ordered a few sections of Pear a week back so with this and what remained in my stash it was time for another go with the thicknesser.

Once this had been carried out I cut blanks to laminate to form sections to cut the floor timbers from.There is some tear out on the older timber from the Thicknesser.These areas will go to the morticed side and be removed during the milling process.

After truing the mating faces in the mill,I have started to join these using Epoxy resin.

Kind Regards

Nigel

IMG_0170.jpgIMG_0171.jpgIMG_0172.jpgIMG_0173.jpgIMG_0174.jpg

Hi All

Given that this is my first fully framed model, I adopted the attitude that if I could complete the bow to a satisfactory standard then I had the ability to complete the rest.
I am happy with the bow so now is time to ramp up mass production as I have gone through the learning curve on how to replicate the complex frame design.I am currently working on the production of the rest of the frames to my number 40 which takes me past dead flat right up to the start of the deadwood above the keel at the stern.
The first job is to laminate all the floor timbers as in the original out of two pieces.These are bonded together using epoxy and then the patterns glued on.I have had three copies of the frame drawings done by a print shop (they are huge) so as not to waste time tracing.
I have also received another shipment of Pear,this model devours timber like it is going out of fashion.
The pictures show the stages involved

IMG_0197.jpg

IMG_0198.jpg

IMG_0199.jpg

IMG_0200.jpg

I had hoped for a big hit this weekend to cut out all these floor timbers but my bandsaw blade has just snapped!!! With no spare,I am stuck until some more arrive:mad:

Kind Regards

Nigel

Nigel nice work area I'm amazed at the planes of your Saint Philippe wow maybe one day after finishing my Happy Hunter I could find a work area where I can call it my work space. Til next time Nigel .
Have a great week Sir. ,!
Your Modeler friend
. Mike

Really good to see, that you are back in the work on you amazing model

IMG_0198.jpg

I have one question, maybe you described it already before, but I could not find an info:
every sheet is produced by two separate pieces glued together. Your template is showing, that exactly there is a line drawn. Because of color differences, it will be visible later on.

On the frames before you had not such a "painting with wood" line in the floor timbers.

Maybe you could shortly expalin, what does this line means and what is your intention

Really good to see, that you are back in the work on you amazing model

View attachment 293835

I have one question, maybe you described it already before, but I could not find an info:
every sheet is produced by two separate pieces glued together. Your template is showing, that exactly there is a line drawn. Because of color differences, it will be visible later on.

On the frames before you had not such a "painting with wood" line in the floor timbers.

Maybe you could shortly expalin, what does this line means and what is your intention
Hi Uwe

All the floor timbers are made up of two or more pieces on the original joined together according to the monograph.This is shown in the section detailing construction.The bow pieces were the same but the ones in the picture are more noticeable due to the different shade of Pear.The glue join is less apparent on the underneath as this has been sanded smooth.I have not bothered on the template side as most will be milled off when cutting the Tenons

Kind Regards

Nigel

Hi Marc

Thankyou.I use Zap 30 minute epoxy.It provides delineation between timbers but most importantly any residue left after cleanup blends in seamlessly with whichever finish I apply (unless I use a coloured stain, which I would not).Can't claim to have come up with this, got this tip from Drazen Caric.

A sad day today in my shipyard after learning last night Michel Saunier passed away last month:(:( For those that don't know,Michel was a truly talented modeller who was well on with constructing a fully framed model of Soleil Royal based on his own extensive research.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Last edited:
Hi Uwe

All the floor timbers are made up of two or more pieces on the original joined together according to the monograph.This is shown in the section detailing construction.The bow pieces were the same but the ones in the picture are more noticeable due to the different shade of Pear.The glue join is less apparent on the underneath as this has been sanded smooth.I have not bothered on the template side as most will be milled off when cutting the Tenons

Kind Regards

Nigel
Good morning Nigel, sorry if I understand correctly are the floors in two pieces? Thanks for any feedback

Back