Saint-Philippe 1693-POF to the Monograph by Jean-Claude Lemineur by NMBrook-1/36

It is just amazing how you construct the frames with different timbers with fitted notches etc. -> very good work my friend

Thanks Uwe

I am afraid it is a case of two steps forward and three back:(Cutting futtocks and a loud bang came from my bandsaw.Normally a snapped blade but not in this case and the motor just made a loud buzzing and no movement when I switched it back on.The drive wheel ran freely so it was time to investigate.

Stripping the motor down I found the main shaft had sheared in half in the middle of the motor.It was only a cheapy so thought great, it was going to happen soon or later,I will order another one.Now discontinued,wouldn't be so bothered had I not spent 30 Quid on three new blades:mad::mad:

Oh well time to look for a replacement

Kind Regards

Nigel

lIMG_0222.jpg

Oh dear Nigel what bad luck. Something like this always happens at the weekend and mostly when it doesn't even fit (financial plan). I hope you get a replacement soon. Heads up!

Thanks Guys

Now I could go and get the next equivalent model (cheapy) tomorrow, however I am going to pause for thought;) Currently looking at machines that will run both 6.5 and 12.5mm blades, something with more flexibility and something with an accurate enough fence/guides that I can resaw planking.That being said I will have to wait a little while financially, no bad thing as I won't make a rush decision.

I will carry on cutting futtocks for as long as my patience can tolerate my cheap B&Q scrolls saw.That thing vibrates like a Kango hammer

Kind Regards

Nigel

Thanks Guys

Now I could go and get the next equivalent model (cheapy) tomorrow, however I am going to pause for thought;) Currently looking at machines that will run both 6.5 and 12.5mm blades, something with more flexibility and something with an accurate enough fence/guides that I can resaw planking.That being said I will have to wait a little while financially, no bad thing as I won't make a rush decision.

I will carry on cutting futtocks for as long as my patience can tolerate my cheap B&Q scrolls saw.That thing vibrates like a Kango hammer

Kind Regards

Nigel
A beautiful good morning Nigel. According to a good YouTuber who keeps testing and comparing tools, the Metabo is very good and, I personally think, at around €350 it is also very interesting in terms of price.

Thanks Guys

Kind Regards

Nigel
Hi Nigel,

When I was in the market for a new bandsaw I had been looking at the record power sabre 350 but at that time ubfortunately not available for months so decided for tge slightly more expensive Laguna 1412.

I have the Laguna 1412 - 230 vac with ceramic guides and transport set to move it troughr the workshop. Very happy with this machine, never felt sorry I skipped the Record Power.

It can saw up to 330 mm diameter.
Saw blades vary between 3 to 19 mm which offers great flexibility.
With the 19 mm blade I could even saw veneer slices of pear.
A machine for life to saw trunks, billets, planks, curves and even veneer slices.

Sofar I feel it was worth every penny.

Thankyou Guys

The Record Power Sabre 250 at the moment is the hot favourite and is currently available.I will look at your link Maarten,not come across this brand so far.I am going to opt for a floor stand whichever model I choose.
I do like the ability to be able to turn the extruded fence 90 degrees on the Record so I can get the guide closer to the work when cutting thin narrow strips.

I am now going to explore your link Maarten:p

Kind Regards

Nigel

Hi Nigel,

When I was in the market for a new bandsaw I had been looking at the record power sabre 350 but at that time ubfortunately not available for months so decided for tge slightly more expensive Laguna 1412.

I have the Laguna 1412 - 230 vac with ceramic guides and transport set to move it troughr the workshop. Very happy with this machine, never felt sorry I skipped the Record Power.

It can saw up to 330 mm diameter.
Saw blades vary between 3 to 19 mm which offers great flexibility.
With the 19 mm blade I could even saw veneer slices of pear.
A machine for life to saw trunks, billets, planks, curves and even veneer slices.

Sofar I feel it was worth every penny.

Maarten

That is an amazing machine which I would expect as it is four times the price of the Record Sabre 250.I get why you went for this option as you are harvesting your own timber.
This is very much a case of you get what you pay for.The Record costs four times more than what I had and your Laguna cost four times that of the Record.

The Record Sabre 350 is an extremely nice machine and probably my money no object choice, alas I can't justify the difference in price for the type of work I will be using it for.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Know what you mean.but be carefull when you start looking for machines before you know you have selected the machine which is just that bigger and offers more precision and options. So I ended up with this before entering the ball park of proffesional machines. I thought once in my life I buy a big bandsaw lets buy one that will do the trick for the rest of my modelling career :).

By harvesting my own pear and boxwood you earn the money back in time.

Maarten

Yes fully understand that sourcing you own timber offsets the costs of the machine.I estimated total wood expenditure for Saint Philippe to be as much as but not exceeding £5000.So far this is panning out possibly a little under.

Raw logs for free plus the machinery would be cheaper but I should of started ten years ago.Also,some of the timbers I use are not native to the UK or Europe for that matter.I am doubtful I will undertake another POF build after this one.I was quite content kit bashing and still am.This is very much a one off mainly to prove to myself I can do it,I had never been bothered about building a POF model before and more than likely won't be after this is finished.

Kind Regards

Nigel

My current stash of pear costed me € 33,-.
20220302_194734.jpg

My stash of boxwood from my own and my neighbors garden nothing except some blood sweat and tears.

20220312_121030.jpg

20220313_175348.jpg

20220313_175355.jpg

I also sourced from an old parqueteer who had a lot of remainders, also for free. This also offers tropical woods.
20220302_200203.jpg

Actually the kit bashing I also love to do. Buying a new kit and open it feels always like a kid in a candy shop. Especially with the new kits on the market.

Well Gents

Bit the bullet and ordered the Record Sabre 250,Floorstand with wheels and some blades.Should land Tuesday so I should be back making sawdust next weekend :p.I am now sick of watching bandsaw reviews on Youtube:rolleyes:

Kind Regards

Nigel

yesterday 11.00:
" That being said I will have to wait a little while financially, no bad thing as I won't make a rush decision."
The decision is reall short !! ROTF

Amazing Nigel. I just caught up on your build and by way of coincidence I just order the US version of your Record Saber 250 (Rikon 10-3061)! I too looked at larger bandsaws but decided this should suit me just fine (I'm in no danger to processing raw lumber at this point). Any time I do the same thing you do I know I'm in good company!

yesterday 11.00:
" That being said I will have to wait a little while financially, no bad thing as I won't make a rush decision."
The decision is reall short !! ROTF

I know,I know:rolleyes: However two things changed my mind, firstly it has taken me far too long to get back in this build to come to another stop and secondly Tobias's
video.For some reason the subtitles went back to German halfway through but even though my knowledge of German is limited, you could tell how enthused the reviewer was this machine.Before looking at the reviews, this machined ticked more boxes than I had on my list

Kind Regards

Nigel

Amazing Nigel. I just caught up on your build and by way of coincidence I just order the US version of your Record Saber 250 (Rikon 10-3061)! I too looked at larger bandsaws but decided this should suit me just fine (I'm in no danger to processing raw lumber at this point). Any time I do the same thing you do I know I'm in good company!

Thanks Paul,I am not always right thoughROTF

However,I am confident I have bought the best quality compact bandsaw at this price point.I get why Maarten bought what he has and he needs far more capability than I will ever need.The thickest board I will ever cut will probably be 2 inches.I did want something that could cut planking instead of using the Proxxon FET which has a habit of burning Pear plus I find the Fence adjustment inaccurate and a PITA to set up.Should have bought a Byrnes way back then but that is limited to what it will do and I would still have had to buy a Bandsaw

Kind Regards

Nigel

Back