San Felipe 1690 from ZHL

Ha ha ha ha waaaa lol omg ha ha ha....... Tree nailing results

NOPE!!!!

This is an example of an abject failure.

I'll cover this up with the decking wood that the kit provided. I'll lick my wounds, analyze my mistakes, and move forward.

Next time, I'll use less dark stain (per El Capi suggestion), use a smaller diameter drill bit, and build some sort of jig.

Pretty funny.....

Sheesh....

11-22-2023 Tree Nailing Failure Pic 1.jpg11-22-2023 Tree Nailing Failure Pic 2.jpg

Ha ha ha ha waaaa lol omg ha ha ha....... Tree nailing results

NOPE!!!!

This is an example of an abject failure.

I'll cover this up with the decking wood that the kit provided. I'll lick my wounds, analyze my mistakes, and move forward.

Next time, I'll use less dark stain (per El Capi suggestion), use a smaller diameter drill bit, and build some sort of jig.

Pretty funny.....

Sheesh....

View attachment 408642View attachment 408643
Good morning Scot. Yep, this hobby should be called “redo “. I always find this the best learning curve aspect of building these ships - those multitudes of redos.o_O
I attempted treenails for the first time on my Xebec as well and this is a craft. I look at Uwek, (@Uwek ), ( Tobias @Tobias ), Paul @dockattner ) and many others and just go - “No way” how do they get this little b@&#*$s so right. My advice (from a noob ;) ) - “ less is more” especially in contrast. Cheers Grant

Hi Scott,
Interesting mistake since I had planned to use tree nailing on my planned project for the San Felipe. Consider it some kind of blessing in disguise, while you have the challenge of fixing it, I have been forewarned to do some proper testing and follow your progress closely, as to not make the same mistake.
Thank you for sharing on I'm sure you'll get it right next time around.
Cheers, Dirk

Scott, I'm jumping onboard a little late - just found your build! I'm very interested in ordering ZHLs Bonhomme Richard. I'm following for sure. The best logs also show their mistakes, it's how we all learn.
And hopefully, I'll catch you at the club meetings in Denver - I'm retiring so my Saturdays are going to open up!

When I was nailing the deck of Santisima I made a jig out of two of the planks I used for planking the deck glued on top of each other. Draw a line across to simulate the meeting of the planks and drilled 4 holes as precisely as I could.
Then I placed the jig on the deck with the line matched up with the line on the plank and drilled through the holes. Nearly everyone came out precisely like the others.
Couldn't manage it free hand to save my life lolFB_IMG_1700997987752.jpg

Hello everyone. Time for an update. This weekend was dedicated to replacing the decking with the stuff that was provided in the kit.

And Yep - going forward I'll be using a jig.

Still have a ways to go on decking but it's going just fine. I may or may not do the pencil nails. I think I'll trial a few to one, see what it looks like and two, how long it takes. The provided decking is paper thin, so much so that I just use scissors to cut it up. Over the next couple of days, I'll have it wrapped up and sanded.

This model requires an inner set of planking. I used the cherry to do this, and it really stiffened things up. At this point, per the frustrating instructions I need to use a saw and cut the planking into a particular stepped down pattern. There are no provided dimensions for this. The kit does come with a 1 to 1 set of diagrams, but these are stuffed with so much that you cannot just measure and cut. Not sure where the steps start and stop. See below. Here is what I plan on doing, each section has a part that fits onto that section. Most of them anyway. I'll dig those parts out of the kit and use them as measurement tools. Once done I'll chart the measurements onto some graph paper and post it. That will save everyone some time when building one of these.

I have looked and looked at other posts and don't see any of the measurements for this.

One last thing, I used the template for the cannon ports and cut one of them out just to see if it lined up ok. It did, phew!!

Couple of pics below.

11-27-2023 Side wall step down.jpg

11-27-2023 Cannon door test.jpg11-27-2023 Internal Planking pic 1.jpg11-27-2023 New deck planking pic 1.jpg11-27-2023 New deck planking pic 2.jpg

Hello everyone. Time for an update. This weekend was dedicated to replacing the decking with the stuff that was provided in the kit.

And Yep - going forward I'll be using a jig.

Still have a ways to go on decking but it's going just fine. I may or may not do the pencil nails. I think I'll trial a few to one, see what it looks like and two, how long it takes. The provided decking is paper thin, so much so that I just use scissors to cut it up. Over the next couple of days, I'll have it wrapped up and sanded.

This model requires an inner set of planking. I used the cherry to do this, and it really stiffened things up. At this point, per the frustrating instructions I need to use a saw and cut the planking into a particular stepped down pattern. There are no provided dimensions for this. The kit does come with a 1 to 1 set of diagrams, but these are stuffed with so much that you cannot just measure and cut. Not sure where the steps start and stop. See below. Here is what I plan on doing, each section has a part that fits onto that section. Most of them anyway. I'll dig those parts out of the kit and use them as measurement tools. Once done I'll chart the measurements onto some graph paper and post it. That will save everyone some time when building one of these.

I have looked and looked at other posts and don't see any of the measurements for this.

One last thing, I used the template for the cannon ports and cut one of them out just to see if it lined up ok. It did, phew!!

Couple of pics below.

View attachment 410064

View attachment 410065View attachment 410066View attachment 410067View attachment 410068
Good morning Scott. That deck will sand up beautifully. Re your treenails - this is a small scale build and there are plenty (nothing you don’t know ROTF ) I would go as small and as light as possible. They could over power your deck. Pencil is an option however it can also darken a lot when you poly or oil your deck if you are too aggressive. As Paul mentioned previously I would also do a sequence of test nailing. Cheers Grant

Hello everyone - weekend update. Couple posts here.

I gave Kurt's scraping technique a try. Works pretty darn good!!! The lower deck I had already sanded so I used the technique on the rest of the decks. This is going to be my standard process going forward. I am still trying to decide if I want to put the pencil nails or not.

12-03-2023 Scrapper Pic 1.jpg12-03-2023 Scrapper Pic 2.jpg

The next task for the weekend was to take care of the area just below the officers' quarters. This is going to be painted black so all I am worried about is to make sure there are no plank marks / lines. Needs to be smooth. Sheesh - seems easy enough but not really. Coming around the corner with curves that do not match is tricky. I had to heavily bevel the plank edges and cut triangles out of the planks as well. I then did a rough sanding and it worked out well.

12-03-2023 Back section blocking out.jpg12-03-2023 Back section coming around the corner.jpg

12-03-2023 Back section after rouhg sanding.jpg12-03-2023 Forward Deck pic 1.jpg

The last item for this post of a pic of the forward deck. After placing and scraping the decking It glued on just fine.

Just keep going.

Scott

Hello everyone.

I made a lot of progress over the weekend. I'll get a big post out tomorrow. But I had an event.
If you are a sailor you've heard this saying before. "There are those who have hit the bottom and those that are lying about it". Well. While working on the cannon holes I had a Dremel blowout. My Dremel has two speed settings. Crazy super-fast and thermonuclear fast. I had it set on nuclear fast. Boom!! in a fraction of a second it blew a hole in the side of the boat. LOL Got some repair to do.

More tomorrow. Mostly I finalize the sides of the boat and I have measurements for those who are also building one of these.

Oh man. Gotta slow down that Dremel....

IMG_1708.jpgIMG_1709.jpg

Hello everyone.

I made a lot of progress over the weekend. I'll get a big post out tomorrow. But I had an event.
If you are a sailor you've heard this saying before. "There are those who have hit the bottom and those that are lying about it". Well. While working on the cannon holes I had a Dremel blowout. My Dremel has two speed settings. Crazy super-fast and thermonuclear fast. I had it set on nuclear fast. Boom!! in a fraction of a second it blew a hole in the side of the boat. LOL Got some repair to do.

More tomorrow. Mostly I finalize the sides of the boat and I have measurements for those who are also building one of these.

Oh man. Gotta slow down that Dremel....

View attachment 413204View attachment 413205
The steps you are doing now are exciting and nerve wracking. One slip and you have to rebuild one side of a gun port with glued in slivers. It's no big deal if you're cutting the first layer of planking and have one more layer to add, but if it's a single planked hull, YIKES! Be careful!

Back