San Francisco AL build log

Hey guys! So here's a really quick update on the hull planking. I put some wood filler and lightly sanded the parts where I already had planks to see how easy or hard it would be to sand the nails. It wasn't that hard but I guess if I can avoid it, it will be quicker so for the next planks y only nailed halfway and used a bit more glue. Also after wondering for some time how should I continue to plank I decided to go this way and up until now it seems do be going fine.

As always comments or suggestions are very welcome and appreciated. View attachment 319827View attachment 319828
Miguel, are you using PVA or CA to glue the planks on? I’m on my second build and have only just started, so not planking yet. On my first build I ran into a similar issue as you with the nails. Someone on SOS advised me to remove the nails rather than trying to sand the heads down. Removing them worked out fine. For my next planking effort I was thinking of doing what you’re doing and only pushing the nails in half way but was worried the planks wouldn’t be tight enough to the frame while the glue dried if I used PVA. Would love to hear how it’s working out for you!

For a first-time project, you're doing a great job. My first project didn't come out that great but with time and practice I'm finally getting better. :=)
Keep up the great work.
Thank you so much! I guess doing the building models I hated so much in architecture school helped me quite a bit even if the process was totally different, the patience required is similar and when theres no deadline its easier to enjoy.

still not too late to detail the deck if you have a steady hand and drafting pencil around.:)
I think its a bit late now since i fear i might ruin everything but I'll try on some scarp wood and see if I can get a decent result.
Miguel, are you using PVA or CA to glue the planks on? I’m on my second build and have only just started, so not planking yet. On my first build I ran into a similar issue as you with the nails. Someone on SOS advised me to remove the nails rather than trying to sand the heads down. Removing them worked out fine. For my next planking effort I was thinking of doing what you’re doing and only pushing the nails in half way but was worried the planks wouldn’t be tight enough to the frame while the glue dried if I used PVA. Would love to hear how it’s working out for you!
Hi Kramer, so I've been testing a lot of types of glues. I try to avoid CA as much as posible since I don't like how it usually stains everything around it with those white fumes but I have been using it in some parts with care. I've also been using some contact cement and Ive found it really useful. Especially for the deck planking. Also for most gluing I've been using this transparent silicon based glue I used for my architectural models in school. and just today I started to try PVA and it seems quite fine. The verdict is still to come on which glue I like the most but I believe there must be many threads here with much more experienced people talking about glue types. About the nails I took the ones I left halfway yesterday and had no problem with the planks. I had the exact same fear as you but I think if you let the glue cure for the recommended time you won't have any problems taking off the nails.

I think its a bit late now since i fear i might ruin everything but I'll try on some scarp wood and see if I can get a decent result.

Hi Kramer, so I've been testing a lot of types of glues. I try to avoid CA as much as posible since I don't like how it usually stains everything around it with those white fumes but I have been using it in some parts with care. I've also been using some contact cement and Ive found it really useful. Especially for the deck planking. Also for most gluing I've been using this transparent silicon based glue I used for my architectural models in school. and just today I started to try PVA and it seems quite fine. The verdict is still to come on which glue I like the most but I believe there must be many threads here with much more experienced people talking about glue types. About the nails I took the ones I left halfway yesterday and had no problem with the planks. I had the exact same fear as you but I think if you let the glue cure for the recommended time you won't have any problems taking off the nails.

Hi Miguel
Great job so far. Nice clean work. A few months ago I started the same kit which had been sitting in my collection for what seems like decades. I used pencil on my deck. Sometimes I wish I had left it like yours. I used contact cement for the first time ever on the second planking. It went along quite quickly. Any plank I wasn't happy with I was able to remove with a blade. I'll be following along for sure.image0.jpeg

Hi Miguel
Great job so far. Nice clean work. A few months ago I started the same kit which had been sitting in my collection for what seems like decades. I used pencil on my deck. Sometimes I wish I had left it like yours. I used contact cement for the first time ever on the second planking. It went along quite quickly. Any plank I wasn't happy with I was able to remove with a blade. I'll be following along for sure.View attachment 320036
That is very nice Tom! Also I think your deck also looks really good. yeah contact cement has been really useful for me as well.

Hey guys! Update here. I finished the first planking of the hull, used some wood filler and started sanding everything. I think it still may need a little more light sanding in some areas but it's quite minor now. View attachment 320495View attachment 320496View attachment 320497View attachment 320498View attachment 320499View attachment 320500View attachment 320501View attachment 320502View attachment 320503View attachment 320504View attachment 320505
Good morning Miguel. Looking good. Well done. Cheers Grant

You managed to get a very good basis for the final planking - well done!
Thank you! I did like quite a bit hoe the curvature came to be. Now I'm doing the second planking and it's been a bit tricky to follow the lines I plan to do but I guess it's not too bad until now. It is quite slower than I was hoping for but I guess it's all about practice. 20220802_231322.jpg20220729_181600.jpg20220802_231427.jpg20220802_231441.jpg20220802_231519.jpg20220802_231338.jpg

Back