Santisima Trinidad Cross-Section 1:90 Kit Build

So todays work to show off. Last week I got they topgallant mast checks attached and sanded to shape the best I could and test fitted all the mast sections together

23B9EE0B-F2C1-4EB6-A016-F9694629A707.jpeg
11A3C460-75AD-4F27-9BCE-15B27E5C9A2E.jpeg

Next after taking it apart I worked on attaching the topgallant blocks as shown in the diagrams. At least rigging is simplified as no rigging is shown going for or aft between masts. All but two block done which go on after final mast assembly

897AFEEC-9C90-4070-BE2C-5A3CA41851F8.jpeg

Todays work is I assembled and glued the main top gallant mast in place. This completed the mast assembly and it’s ready to install in hull section and start the shrouds.

833CC57D-50FF-419D-8667-8C575BE4CCE4.jpeg

Next I started work on the main top gallant yard, marked and cut the round stock and then slowly carved the ends as shown in plans. The have a small area like a band near the ends and taper a a little bit back towards center.

Next I pulled out the blocks identified and stropped them for attachment later.

I did get the two long block attached to ends of the yard install before the time ran out.

It’s a shame when your in the groove and you have to stop to get sleep so you can goto work and earn funds in the morning.

2F4AC148-9777-42D0-BD2C-C60A392B5A9E.jpeg
01A03F41-E782-4257-B4D1-29DC85900CF8.jpeg

Well back in shop today and installed upper deadeye for lower mast and then rigged it to see how it look

View attachment 352671
It appears you rig the deadeyes opposite way. Take a look at the red dots and reference images for correct placement.

EE3FC198-35D6-42E7-B440-5A81643C847B.jpg

The correct rigging of the deadeyes

MjgyNjE2Ni5qcGc
aWY.gif

cGc

Thank you for finding my error, I will work to fix this issue and show you what I come up with. That is why I did one and stopped to see what I did correct or wrong.

Even with the deedeye's turned wrong, I think I got the method of securing them done correct enough for this scale.

Looking nice Kurt. If you want to, you can treat the rigging line with beeswax and it will keep the fuzzies down. Just an idea.

Looking nice Kurt. If you want to, you can treat the rigging line with beeswax and it will keep the fuzzies down. Just an idea.
Thanks for the reminder to treat. This kit has cheap extra fuzzy ropes and after a triple coating and dubbing the lines look about the same

Thank you also Jimsky for pointing out improper rotation of deadeyes. I have now fixed my first on the best possible as the kit deadeyes are not all that good as for hole alignments

091EEF1D-B923-4DB1-9D09-B2612BDC4AE6.jpeg

And now after twisting all the lower row of deadeyes for best alignment I have three shrouds completed but the fourth will have to wait on repairs to chain plate. As I was twisting the deadeye the end of chain broke loose and will have to be fixed tomorrow.

AC2B2A82-7F82-4C56-A5F2-715832AA8A77.jpeg

Ok after a week or so break to due my Model railroads I am back in shop on the cross section again.

I fixed the problem with one deadeye strap the broke loose when I was correcting orientation of the deadeyes.

That allowed me to compleat the last shroud on the first side.

26D4329A-7E59-4F39-BD8E-8721DB916A72.jpeg

Having done that a few nights ago I have started on the opposite side and have two shroud lines done.

88200DF5-21F3-42E1-8DE9-159F6C4EBBEA.jpeg

Now to finish the last two and start with rat lines. Oh so much fun coming!

Hi Kurt, I once read an argument in favor of natural rat lines. The shrouds can be tarred but since you climb on the rats you would get tar on your shoes, your hands and then every you walked. I really don't know the correct answer though. Your cross section is coming along nice, great job.

Well the “Fun” has started!

I have my first ratline of lower shrouds installed. Maybe could have done better, but this is a learning build so I am not doing many “do overs” unless it’s a glaring error.

I need to print a spacing guide to start working upwards but it is progress for today.

FD1F9A33-75F5-4669-9B9E-56714F5F8F53.jpeg

Very nice Kurt. The only thing I would have done is try to run those lanyard lines through some beeswax to get rid of most of the fuzzies. But other than that - it is good to go !!!

Are you making knots, or is the ratline fixed to the shroud only with the glue? In moment it is looking like only glue
Maybe, when you use thinner rope material (in moment you are using the same like for the lanyards between the deadeyes) you could make the correct knot (especially at the inner shouds) and you would not need any glue at the inner shrounds.
What is also working, that you use water based wood glue, thinned with water, so the glue can panatrate into the knot and afterwards you do not have a hardened visible glue drop at the points. Definitely try to reduce the glue quantity per point, f.e. using the top of a needle

Back