Santisima Trinidad - Occre Build Log [COMPLETED BUILD]

Re: OcCre Santisima Trinidad Build Log

Hi Donnie, Don't know how you do all that explanatory diagrams etc,but it sure helps to understand somewhat ???,your modeling skills are second to none,in fact brilliant,reading your blog, and other 1st class builders on this site,helps those that are intimidated to try.
Edwin

Gary, Edmay...
I really appreciate the compliments, but I struggle just like everyone else - if not more. I have to humbly take those comments as I know that other builds here are just as fantastic if not more.
So, on with another picture. This is the Anchor (obviously) and the picture is not that great. Actually, its quite horrible and I plan to replace it soon.
As promised, the images have been changed below.

stanchor01.jpg

stanchor02.jpg

stanchor03.jpg

Basically, I am almost done ! But, I have a few things to tidy up before I release it as completed. Here are some (a lot) of images of the Braces. The photos are not that great - I know I was in a hurry. It seems that I have outgrown the photo shotbox as I am not able to get the angles I need.

So, with the help of the Admiral, I was able to get some done. The camera was just set up automatic which is not my preferred method as I wanted to use a long focal range, but giving the fact that the Admiral was holding the black poster board and arms getting tired, this is the best I can do under the circumstances.
So, without further delay...the braces, etc.

Well, there you have it. In about less than a week, it will be completed !!!! just about 5 1/2 years in the making.

braces01.jpg

braces02.jpg

braces03.jpg

braces04.jpg

braces05.jpg

braces06.jpg

braces07.jpg

braces08.jpg

braces09.jpg

braces10.jpg

braces11.jpg

braces12.jpg

braces13.jpg

braces14.jpg

braces15.jpg

braces16.jpg

Well, there you have it. In about less than a week, it will be completed !!!!
just about 5 1/2 years in the making.<e>

Well done!, the sense of accomplishment and proud feeling for a job well done is what´s great about this hobby/art. Congrats Donnie! You have helped a lot of people by generously sharing your build with photos and explanations. I´ll bet the Admiral looks at you in a different (and proud) way.

The spider has had a great time and by all the line he used, must be totally out. Great job and always worth the effort.

I really do appreciate the comments ! However, I am sure that this Ways or Launch will really win a lot of friends and influence the ship building community -- just kidding.

But, really, I am sure to receive a lot of thumbs down on this, but this is an idea that I want to pursue. This ship is not going to be able to rest on two simple post pedestals (as I did not at the beginning mount any hardware in the false keel) to help stabilize things.

Yes, you guessed it, I am going to put the Trinidad on a mock up dockyard or shipyard. It is a cross between a diorama and some practical method of mounting the ship and (for now) not have to worry about the ship falling. This will be posted in my Trinidad Build log as well. So, this is a build log on such as follows:

launch01.jpglaunch02.jpglaunch03.jpglaunch04.jpg

Hello Donnie, as Gary and others have said "your workmanship and attention to detail is outstanding, WOW to the photo's,you must be very proud of yourself,well done and thanks for the teaching's. What is your next build.
Edwin

Here is more progress on the ships mount / diorama. It was never my intention to even make a diorama, but I guess I can put it in that class.
You will see some dowels I inserted at the major joints in the first image. The other images, you will see that I made a small jig (CA'ed right onto the bench) with small pieces to hold the main parts to be glued. The braces (here) I realize are not substantial to hold a ship weighing this much and I have already investigated a solution to this. This will be forth coming in later images. I also realize that these are simple butt joints, but again, know this and I have structural additions to make - just check back and see.

launch05.jpglaunch06.jpglaunch07.jpg

After testing how the ship was going to sit down on timbers, I saw that I had to do some serious redoing. The timbers had to be moved further back (outwards) - they were (inwards) too much. Also, the angle of some of the cuts are not straight forward as I wanted to try to have something that looked balanced and pleasing to the eye. In other words also that the timbers would have been angled (even if they did) so that it would seem more realistic. Bearing in mind that such a ways or launch probably never existed as such as what I am building here. It is strictly fictitious. We'll just see how it goes along is all that I can say as this is really piece-milled as I go.

launch08.jpglaunch09.jpglaunch10.jpglaunch11.jpg

Some additions / changes, etc.

launch12.jpglaunch13.jpglaunch14.jpglaunch16.jpglaunch17.jpglaunch18.jpglaunch15.jpg

I had to add some more supports on the angled struts going up to the hull.

Poor lighting, but at least for the moment, you can see what I have done so far. Again, all piece-milled. No real measurements. I will provide better photos later. Oh - forgot to say -- not done yet.

launch19.jpg

I plan to beef it up just a tad with one more at stern and perhaps 2 at bow to balance the look of it.
This has been an ordeal for me. (not that I am complaining), but this sort of thing really has to be piece milled. I couldn't tell anyone what any measurement is.... I started out drawing plans for it, but I quickly found out that was not going to work.

Then I thought about using one of those form tools that you see that you push into an existing form and it copies the form either via plastic pins or metal pins. Most of the time you see them taking the form from a hull.

However, try holding a ship like this while pushing the tool up against the hull to get the copy of form. Even trying to get someone to hold the ship nearly impossible.

This is clearly one of those things that should have been done at the very beginning as soon as the hull was planked as at least the shapes of the bulkheads could have been used as a template. I am a glutton for punishment on this thing. But, I am almost finished with it now.

I am almost tempted to add to it a small scaffolding on each side (where the ladder rungs are) with a small platform of a deck (perhaps about 3" x 1") with a crisscross stair way that goes from the base up to top of scaffolding with a square opening at top of the platform where the stairs will come out at.

The height of the scaffolding will terminate at the lowest wales. I am sure that this will gather a lot of head scratching from the "community" if you know what I mean. I used basswood on this of which -again- didn't know what I was doing and found the basswood very furry and fuzzy to deal with.

Here's the final product. I know that I did not take enough images as the thing progressed, but I was and am ready to let this thing out of my hair (of what is left of it). It is painted with Folk Art Burnt Umber (Hobby Lobby Product).

Disclaimer: I know that this is entirely fictional and such a launch does not exist, but as I mentioned before, I did not think at the time when building the frame to insert nuts or bolts into the false keel.I also know that there are other pedestals I could have used, but I wanted something different.So, sorry to the purist out there, I am sure that this makes you irk.

PS: I have one set of Anchors to do and I will be completely finished with the Trinidad of which I will post soon ! (let me also say that I apologize for not making much postings on other build logs, but a lot of things have been going on in my life and the Admirals too. The Admiral has been having some mysterious health problems of which has taken most of my attention).

launch20.jpglaunch21.jpglaunch22.jpglaunch23.jpglaunch24.jpglaunch25.jpg

The most important thing is that the ship is very protected and sits sturdy. This looks like it will hold it very well. Hope things get better for your other half.

Donnie,
Your ST and stand are fantastic. I can only hope my ST turns out as well.
Later,
Don

That stand does look very good Donnie. I know exactly what you mean regarding those contour gages, I tried using it for the stand for my Montanes and although, the shape was close, I eventually had to use cheap thin balsa wood and basically trial and error it until I had a couple templates that would support the hull, and I did this immediately after I had finished planking the hull. I turned the model upside down on some foam cushions in order to fit the supports. You can check out the results in my build log. They don't make a contour gage LARGE enough for these two ships, my Montanes and your Santisima Trinidad, to be of any use to us.

I was actually thinking of doing something very similar, but I was not going to use as many supports as you finally did, just about four, when I rejected the idea and went with a more solid and traditional stand that I did make.

Hello Donnie,
Very clever ship stand, Sorry to hear of your woe's,our thoughts and prayers to you both,Edwin and the Admiral.

Donnie

I just joined your forum and this morning I was able to get into it and actually see your build. I only got to page 22 and could not go any longer without saying something about this.
Sir, I think I first saw your ship (I think it was you),on you tube. You were doing the standing rigging! That was before I even knew this web site existed.
I was so very impressed with your rigging! I was so very impressed with the whole thing. Then I found this web site. What a stroke of good luck! You are a craftsman of the highest order! I am so impressed, I could only get to page 22 this morning and just had to jump to a reply! Now, I am going back and pick up where I left off. This is better than a really good book!
Amazing, astounding, marvelous, tip top...well, you get the idea. Impressive craftsmanship!
DaveC
Seattle, Wa

Back