Santisima Trinidad - Occre Build Log [COMPLETED BUILD]

Re: OcCre Santisima Trinidad Build Log

<t>I went ahead and ordered the BF0054 8mm brass pins from Billings Boats USA website. In the meantime, I am constructing the Barge or Ships Boat. Yes, Planking has returned !!! Arg !! Except on a much smaller scale. This is the construction of the BARGE or Ships Boat. There is not a lot to say here other than the basic planking principles still apply here too. The Solid Base will be cut off when the planking is done. The instructions wanted me to paint the skeleton of the frame first and then sand down the area of the planking to "Fair" the frame just like on a larger hull. The Bulkheads and keel are preformed. The planking is made from supplied 1x3mm Ramin. More to come -</t>

Attachments

• shipsboat01.jpg
    shipsboat01.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 81
  • shipsboat02.jpg
    shipsboat02.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 76
  • shipsboat03.jpg
    shipsboat03.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 76
  • shipsboat04.jpg
    shipsboat04.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 76
  • shipsboat05.jpg
    shipsboat05.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 78
  • shipsboat06.jpg
    shipsboat06.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 79

<t>Nothing really here to brag about. The Ramin strips are very fragile - hard to work with. The Strips edges flake and pull of easily. Just one of those things to work around. I guess I hate to go through trouble of ordering my own wood to replace. Just trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear. I have some touch up work to do before progressing. I was wanting to be complete with the hull by the end of this year, but since having a bad fall in the attic really set me back. My middle fingers on right hand are still tight and swollen.</t>

Attachments

• shipsboat07.jpg
    shipsboat07.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 93
  • shipsboat09.jpg
    shipsboat09.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 90
  • shipsboat08.jpg
    shipsboat08.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 91
  • shipsboat10.jpg
    shipsboat10.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 94

<t>My opinion - I was an idiot and did not plank from the top to keel. What was I thinking about. The planking is (in my opinion) not even good. The wood is so hard to work with as it splinters and splits just giving it a hard stare.</t>

<r>Just when I thought that I did not have to soak and bend anymore planks. Now the false Framing at the bottom of the boat. This Ramin that is flaky is going to drive me nuts. But, on with the show as they say. Next will be the flooring (yes more Ramin). I guess there is no shortage of Ramin where this came from ! Remember Guys and Gals, send me your completed ship photos to add them to the Contributors Gallery at <EMAIL email="donnie@shipsofscale.com">donnie@shipsofscale.com</EMAIL> (see my signature). So far I have 39 ships on the gallery and counting !!! Thank you for your photos for those that have sent in their models.</r>

Attachments

• shipsboat11.jpg
    shipsboat11.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 82
  • shipsboat12.jpg
    shipsboat12.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 80

<t>I think that the Ramin is used a lot in OcCre's kits. I wish that they would change this. Here is the latest.</t>

Attachments

• shipsboat13.jpg
    shipsboat13.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 86

<t>Didn't like some things. Like the flooring got redone.</t>

Attachments

• shipsboat14.jpg
    shipsboat14.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 81

<t>Well, the Ramin for the flooring is a little better as it is 2mmx2mm. I made up my own paint/stain color - nothing fancy as you know ... I take the path of least resistance.</t>

<t>Completed first ships boat (There are two).</t>

Attachments

• shipsboat15.jpg
    shipsboat15.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 109
  • shipsboat16.jpg
    shipsboat16.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 104

<t>I have another ships boat to build. I am not sure what determines how many boats a ship has.</t>

<t>Completed both ships boats. Moving on to rigging them to the deck.</t>

Attachments

• shipsboat18.jpg
    shipsboat18.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 92
  • shipsboat17.jpg
    shipsboat17.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 94

<t>]I finally got done with the rigging - sore fingers and all. Used a considerable amount of bees wax on all rigging line. It was the beeswax that helped me get the rope in the bottom of boat to lay limp - I did not want to have a stiff look to it. I am not sure if I succeeded or not - I think it looks ok. Oh yes. The Oars - got some metal ones with kit - feel compelled to make my own - sigh - I am lazy - why couldn't I just have gotten some lazer cut ones.</t>

Attachments

• shipsboat20.jpg
    shipsboat20.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 127
  • shipsboat22.jpg
    shipsboat22.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 127
  • shipsboat21.jpg
    shipsboat21.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 125
  • shipsboat23.jpg
    shipsboat23.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 130

<t>After that, it is time to start on the Mast.</t>

<t>Ok, so now I got the oars done -</t>

Attachments

• oars06.jpg
    oars06.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 107

<r>I have added a new section of "Mast" on the website for the Trinidad build in progress in case anyone is interested. <br/>
<br/>
<URL url="http://shipsofscale.com/Trinidad/STBL11.html">http://shipsofscale.com/Trinidad/STBL11.html</URL></r>

<t>This is an obvious attempt at home building a lathe out of some really bad scrap wood sitting around. This is really crude. But, it works for now. I just could not lay down the credit to get what I wanted - so it will have to wait. I guess the only reason I am showing this is because I guess if you are desperate enough, you will do almost anything. Well, I was determined to get those mast tapered. I have the first piece of Sapelli on it now ready to go. On the tail stock end is a Socket set extension that (will be) epoxyed in to keep it stable. At the end of the socket set extension will be a "socket" that I can choose from that will always fit the stock wood. So, in this case, I think that I have a 3/16" socket and it grips the wood fair enough. There is enough extra length cut of the dowel to work with. The end that is going into the Chuck is the end of dowel or mast that will go into the deck. So therefore I am not worried about the chuck scaring or denting up that end as it will be set into the deck hull. It is what it is - any comments are fair enough (good or bad).</t>

Attachments

• lathe01.jpg
    lathe01.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 134
  • lathe02.jpg
    lathe02.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 133

<t>Here is the latest on the Mizzen Mast. Parts are all dry fitted for now. Got more work to do on them - not finished yet. Got some blocks, etc to rig to them and some other things, like the fish and woolings, etc.</t>

Attachments

• mizzenmast04.jpg
    mizzenmast04.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 148
  • mizzenmast05.jpg
    mizzenmast05.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 144
  • mizzenmast06.jpg
    mizzenmast06.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 141
  • mizzenmast08.jpg
    mizzenmast08.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 147
  • mizzenmast07.jpg
    mizzenmast07.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 144
  • mizzenmast09.jpg
    mizzenmast09.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 144
  • mizzenmast10.jpg
    mizzenmast10.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 144

<t>I was wondering why (at least on the Mizzen Mast) that on the plans, it shows the lower mast and upper mast as round. So, what I did was to mock-up a square block to assist in the stability. I have not even studied the Main and Fore, but at some point, I will look at the plans for it and I think that it should show a square.</t>

<t>While we are still on the subject, maybe someone can help me figure this out. See the image below of the plans. The question has to do about the Top Mast Cheeks (for the Mizzen Mast). The plans call for the Top Mast Cheeks to be made of African Walnut. Studying the plans almost makes the part (cheek) as if it is "one" piece. Looking at the front view of the plan, I see this division mark. Looking at side view, I see the same thing. To me (my opinion) it almost seems as if I need to just make a "block" 15mm x 15mm, drill a hole in it and then saw it in half to make the two cheek "halves". I don't know ??? Any help is appreciated. I know that Garward is starting on his mast and his OcCre is about the same as mine. By the Way, that is #277 on the plans.</t>

Attachments

• topmast-cheek.jpg
    topmast-cheek.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 106

<t>So, whatever it is worth - good or bad, here is some more work on my Mizzen. I have some wooldings and rigging to do with attaching some blocks and pulleys.</t>

Attachments

• mizzenmast11.jpg
    mizzenmast11.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 119
  • mizzenmast12.jpg
    mizzenmast12.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 117
  • mizzenmast13.jpg
    mizzenmast13.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 116
  • mizzenmast14.jpg
    mizzenmast14.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 115
  • mizzenmast15.jpg
    mizzenmast15.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 116
  • mizzenmast18.jpg
    mizzenmast18.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 118
  • mizzenmast16.jpg
    mizzenmast16.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 116
  • mizzenmast17.jpg
    mizzenmast17.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 114

<t>I see now what I can do to make things better. It is not too late to make those changes. If I had an excuse, I guess it would be simply lack of knowledge and experience. I poured over all the reading material I could get my hands on over the weekend. This also leads into the type of modeler I am (at the present) and that is a kit builder with some modifications from time to time (that I feel comfortable with). All I can say that it is a learning experience. The size and the details of the mast of this size ship is a little more than what I was used to with the Sultana.</t>

Back